Slow boot

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by darkweather, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

Am giving up HS until 10.13.2 or maybe 10.13.3.
    Going back to 10.12.6 on iMac Rotational HD. Do not believe HS is there yet
    Staying 10.13.1 on Retina Macbook all SSD

2. pjny macrumors 6502a

Switched back to 10.12.6 Sierra and I feel like I got a new laptop. read speed was 70mb/s with trim enabled on HS, 450 disabled, and unbelieabled 740 mb/s on Sierra. while i doubt the 740 number it is definitely way faster.

3. sinbad21 macrumors newbie

sinbad21

This is perhaps due to apfs system, which is not yet optimized. When you switch back to 10.12.6, do you keep apfs or do you return to hfs+ ?

4. Cardsnk macrumors regular

About that service battery, since updating to 10.13.1 for some reason it went away but came back eventually. Boot time is still slow on my mbpr 15" early 2013

5. EugW macrumors 68030

EugW

For my 2009 MacBook Pro, my service battery warning went away with the (unsupported) 10.13 install, but came back a day or two later.

But my battery does need to be replaced. It’s the original 8 year-old battery! :)

6. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

Made the Switch back to 10.12.6 this morning and now the iMac is flying. The issue of slow boot up and "winking out" and back again at boot up is gone. That is even with Systemrepair log showing fsck -I happing at boot up there is a fast booting.

7. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

Yea, I'm seriously tempted to go back to Sierra 10.12.6 as well. At the same time, I know I'll want to keep trying High Sierra with every update to see if it's fixed, so in that regard I'm inclined to stick with HS since downgrading that upgrading again would be a big pain in the ass.

Kinda feel stuck at the moment.

8. pjny macrumors 6502a

I tried to wipe the ssd on my laptop using HS installer on usb thumbdrive but IIRC it only gave option to initialize using APFS.

I wanted to reinstall a Carbon Copy Cloner disk snapshot of my Sierra system but it wouldn't work via HS installer.

So I had to create a bootable backup of CCC disk snapshot of Sierra on external 2.5" hard drive, boot laptop from the drive, then run CCC and install the disk image on the laptop SSD.

PLEASE, if there is an easier way to reinstall Sierra let me know. Process took about 4 hours from attempting different solutions.

9. sinbad21 macrumors newbie

sinbad21

If as I think the problem is due to apfs, there is a possibility to install High Sierra on an internal SSD without converting the file system to apfs, first you download High Sierra from the App Store, then instead of launching it by double click you enter the following command in a Terminal window :

Code:
    /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO
    This could allow to upgrade to high sierra without this problem of slow boot. Later, it is always possible to convert the internal SSD to apfs using recovery partition (I hope !).

10. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

Yes, good idea. Only in my case the iMac has a rotational HD so when installing HS it does not convert to APFS. There seems to be something in HS that is very aggressive when doing fsck -I during the startup. No doubt, HS at this time is really designed to run on SSD and not totally written to work on legacy storage. Maybe 10.13.2 or later it will be not not yet

11. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502a

Mac Hammer Fan

Perhaps the slow boot isn't an issue if you install MacOS High Sierra on an SSD with HFS format at this moment?

12. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

after digging a bit more, have come across the difference between Sierra and HS when system is running fsck_hfs at cold boot up .
    Sierra is using hfs-366.70.1 and HS is using hfs-407.1.3. Would stand to reason on newer macOS but the newer hfs-407.1.3 with HS may be the cause of the "wink out and resume" on some rotational HD running HS. Still going to wait for 10.13.2 or maybe 10.13.3 before trying HS again in Late 2102 iMac

13. pjny macrumors 6502a

Weird thing about High Sierra slow boot is that it messes up my 2015 12" Macbook but doesn't affect Macbook Pro early 2011.

14. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

Details regarding 2015 12" MacBook. I have 2016 12"MacBook w/HS 10.13.1 and no real issues.

15. Hwangsta macrumors newbie

Strange, I updated to High Sierra and boot was slow and switching users also slow. I ENABLED TRIM (using the terminal command) and now it's normal Sierra speed (Fast boot up and quick user switching). Not sure why I am getting the opposite effect from most of you here by DISABLING TRIM.

2014 MBP 15" GeForce 750m

16. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

Yea, its odd, but more often than not it does seem its related to trim in one way or another

17. Lgswe, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Lgswe macrumors newbie

How to Disabling TRIM Mac Book Retina 2012 Appel SSD ?Very slow boot.Same whit Mac Book 2016

18. MAlexB macrumors member

MAlexB

I can confirm this: albeit I had TRIM enabled with Sierra and HFS+ and my internal Samsung SSD showed TRIM Support, I just did another sudo trimforce enable on High Sierra with APFS and all of a sudden, the SSD speed is up significantly! :)

19. sinbad21 macrumors newbie

sinbad21

I tried this manipulation without success, boot remained slow. I have also tried to disable trim, the boot speed has jumped from 38 seconds to 21 seconds. But I have immediately enabled the trim again, because I prefer a slow boot to a fast aging of the drive.

20. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

that's how I fall on the matter. Would rather have Trim enabled than compromise my SSD. But until apple fixes this (hopefully they will), it's going to be somewhat sucky.

21. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502a

Mac Hammer Fan

I wonder whether an SSD with HFS will boot als slow as with APFS under High Sierra.
    Anyway, I won't convert my SSD to APFS yet.

22. Jerezanito macrumors member

Jerezanito

hi when you upgraded to high Sierra it was already enable trim but do you enable trim again?

23. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502a

Mac Hammer Fan

Disabling the trim is definitely not a solution. Under El capitan is slows down the writing speed of my Samsung SSD significantly.

24. MAlexB macrumors member

MAlexB

Correct. - It was shown in HS as being enabled but I ran the command again with positive results.

25. pmcguiremd macrumors newbie

pmcguiremd

Yeah, I reverted back to 10.12.6 on my Mac Pro 6,1 1-TB yesterday. My Mac is great again - smooth and fast. I tried the force TRIM trick, but it did not seem to make a difference. I actually did two installs of High Sierra initially, one with file vault turned on and the other with file vault off and there was no appreciable difference in speed. Sierra has been super stable on all my machines since its release. The biggest slow downs for me were with Safari, Firefox, and Word 2016. I never tried to install my old copy of Word 2011. I also had trouble with Virtual Box under High Sierra. My printer drivers were a bit flaky as well (HP Laserjet M401dne and Epson XP-860). The one thing I did notice was faster under HS was iCloud. When installing HS my iCloud account was set up almost instantly. Under Sierra, it seemed to take forever when signing in to iCloud. I guess I'll stick with Sierra for a while. It's a shame too, I really like the upgrades to photos.