Slow boot

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by darkweather, Sep 26, 2017.

1. nippyjun macrumors 65816

What happens if you go into the setting where you select the boot disk and re-select it, then reboot?

2. pmcguiremd macrumors newbie

pmcguiremd

3. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

MacBook Retina 2016 8GB RAM / 512GB SSD with TRIM enabled boots up in 25 seconds

4. darkweather thread starter macrumors regular

darkweather

I wonder if Apple can't fix the problem or they just don't care...

5. DoctorAmes macrumors newbie

DoctorAmes

HS was taking a couple of minutes to boot after installing on a 2017 MacBook Pro with Apple SSD. Tried re-installing - that made no difference. After hunting through the logs, noticed reference to Symantec Antivirus. Tried un-installing Symantec after which the boot time returned to normal. Re-installing Symantec resulted in no degradation.
    Not sure exactly what the problem was, although it would appear Symantec Endpoint Protection was trying to do something and when not succeeding, stopping everything else from doing its thing.

6. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

is there a real need for any av software for macOS?

7. DBNet macrumors newbie

DBNet

Greeting all....First time poster, long time reader.

I also have this issue of slow booting after upgrade. But here is the thing...

My wife and I both have Late 2016 MacBook Pro's purchased at the same time though Apple...

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
    1TB Drive
    FileVault is OFF

...and we are running the same OS... 10.13.1 (17B48)

More or less the machines are set up the same way software wise other than I have Final Cut Pro X. (I have no large files on the drive however as I archive them off when done editing. My drive shows 155 gigs used of the 1TB at this time.)

YET...Her's boots in 19 seconds and mine takes 45.

I have tried...

- Running First Aid in the Disk Utility on the drive.
    - Turning TRIM OFF and booted and then put it back ON. (No change either way but I am not sure it can even be turned off on these machines.)
    - Resetting NVRAM (Option, Command, R and P at power up.)
    - Removed everything under my account from Login Items.
    - Booting into safe mode and then re-starting again. (To reset cache or something I guess.)
    - Installing 10.13.1 over the top again just for kicks. (Man does that take a long time.)

I am still in the same position at 45 seconds to boot. My next move would be to try a complete wipe and install and then booting clean to see what happens. Then recover from TimeMachine my data etc. But from what I have read, people whom have done this are no better off other than waisting a lot of time. (Which it does take SO MUCH TIME even though these have the really fast processors and what should be very, very fast drives. It is amazing how long it takes.)

When I boot, the bar does not move very quickly, then it pauses for some time, then a slight flash in the display and then the bar moves fast and login shows up.

So, has then been any answer to this? Anything else I can try other than a full wipe?

Side note: I also seem to now have a graphic card issue where it does not clean RAM correctly and I will have something like an icon just stuck in the display that is over the top of everything until I reboot. Has happened 3 times.

Thank you kindly.

8. DBNet macrumors newbie

DBNet

Ok, thinking that I will take this time in research to clean my drive of large files not needed, I cleared off about 29 gigs of files. Deleted and then emptied the trash.

Looking at the drive now, it says I have 160 gigs used. Hummm....In my post above before I did the cleaning, it reported 155 gigs used.

So I rebooted the computer thinking it needed to update or scan or something. Still slow booting BTW, I did not expect that to change but one could hope. :)

Checked the drive info again, same, I had somehow gone UP in use even though I removed 30 gigs of files. I ran FIRST AID on the drive, no change, it says all is fine with no issues found.

I wanted to mention this as all of this, slow booting etc, are drive related and I found this to be VERY strange and kind of concerning. The MacBook runs without issue, other than the slow boot, I have no errors etc and it runs like I would expect. So not sure what is happening here.

9. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

DBNet - guessing from your post the Laptops originally came with 10.12.x? and have been upgraded? If upgraded from 10.12.x, what was the 10.13 originally installed? Was it 10.13.0 with upgrade with Supplemental and then to 10.13.1 or straight 10.12.x to 10.13.1. Asking out of interest only.
    Have done a Verbose on late 2012 iMac with Rotational on Clean install 10.13.1 ( wipe and reinstall 10.3.1 ) and there is a 12 second pause at boot up where there is a bash: /etc/rc.server: no such file or directory exists, then there is a 14 second pause Waiting for DSMOS ( Do not Steal My Operating System 0 then pic pause:SDXC
    I seriously think 10.13 is still a work in progress and some serious issues still be be resolved maybe 10.13.2 or.3 will fix.
    As for 45 seconds to boot - consider bring to Apple and them explain why and want to do to fix.
    Good luck

10. DBNet macrumors newbie

DBNet

Hi..

Was it 10.13.0 with upgrade with Supplemental and then to 10.13.1. When Apple releases an update, we take them.

In regards to "As for 45 seconds to boot - consider bring to Apple and them explain why and want to do to fix."

If it were that easy the fix would be known already and this thread would no longer be needed. As such, we all hunt for what may work to resolve the issue. I am surely not alone after all. Like I said, I am totally lost as my wife and I have more or less duplicate machines.

Now with the drive weirdness with deleting files and the space used going UP vs down...something surely seems off and all drive related. But again, my MacBook Pro runs without issues. (Except for the slow boot and now drive strangeness.)

11. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

Have same issue but on Late 2012 iMac with rotational HD. Issue existed on Erase and Clean install of 10.13.0, Erase and Clean install of 10.13.0 Supplemental and Erase and clean install 10.13.1. Have given up HS until 10.13.2 of .3 of .4 for this machine. 12 inch Retina MacBook 2016 512GB SSD works fine

12. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

HDD always boot slowly, isn't it?

13. Samichang, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  14. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Just found something interesting.

I have a few WD Red HDD inside my Mac Pro. And all of them work flawlessly except the 8TB HDD won't show up after restart to MacOS.

The HDD will always show up in Windows, and always show up after a cold boot. But if I restart the machine (regardless from Windows or MacOS), the 8TB HDD disappear.

And because of this slow boot issue (and Finder occasionally micro freeze), I disable TRIM for testing purpose. Bingo! The 8TB HDD now 100% ops normal. It seems TRIM in HS induce more issue than we expected. Not just slow boot for SSD, but may even affect normal HDD. And so far, Finder also work more smoothly with TRIM disabled.

I personally prefer to have TRIM, I enabled that since Mavericks, never disabled it. But now, it really cause me too much trouble. I decided to switch it off until Apple fix the issue. If may affect the performance a bit, and will shorten the SSD life span a bit as well. But that still more desirable than have a broken / unstable system.

15. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Don't expect 10.13.2 to magically fix the slow boot issue...

16. DBNet macrumors newbie

DBNet

I am at a total loss on this one as I have two identical hardware wise MacBook Pros (Late 2016) and more or less the same software as mentioned and mine is a slow load where my wife's is 20 seconds. I have tried all of the above as mentioned and even asked Obi-Wan Kenobi for help....Nadda! Ugh!

17. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

I guess it is back to 10.12.6 for me. Oh, already downgraded Nov 26 on iMac. Time to think about 12" Retina MacBook too!

18. shirogane macrumors newbie

shirogane

Easy fix: go to System Preferences>Start Up Disk

Reselect Macintosh HD and lock it and restart, and start up speeds and log in will be back to normal.

Worked for me.

19. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

That’s totally another issue. Not the one that we are talking about only happen in High Sierra.

20. rheid macrumors newbie

rheid

Not working

21. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Seriously considering it myself as well.

22. Marcopolo53 macrumors member

just read on another MR posting where person did erase and clean install 10.13.2 and says worse than 10.13.1 for UI, BT and other issues. Pretty sure going back to Sierra.

23. W1SS macrumors regular

You can try the following for slow boots (YMMV):

- Save any work
    - Download OnyX for High Sierra and run Automation then reboot
    - If OnyX hasn't helped, then try opening terminal and executing:

Code:
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    kextcache -system-caches
    reboot

24. shirogane macrumors newbie

shirogane

I am talking about the slow boot issue on High Sierra. My fix is endorsed by Apple on their forum. It works for Macs with Apple SSDs, but don't know about the 3rd party SSDs though.