Smart cover users: Do you use a skin to protect the back?

Smart cover users: Do you use a skin to protect the back?

• Yes

Votes: 123 48.6%
  • No

Votes: 130 51.4%

• Total voters

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I use a skin on the back to protect from scratches and the smart cover hinge from doing damage to the side of it.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I use a skin on the back to protect from scratches and the smart cover hinge from doing damage to the side of it.
Doesnt it hinder the smart cover though?

Just asking, as I see a lot of skins that are "smart cover compatible", which basically means theres a cutout for the smart cover to sit in.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Doesnt it hinder the smart cover though?

Just asking, as I see a lot of skins that are "smart cover compatible", which basically means theres a cutout for the smart cover to sit in.
Not the Best Skins Ever one. No cut out, and works fine with the smart cover attatched. Havent tried any other brand.

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
On the iPad 2 I used a Zagg invisishield (rear only) but now Im giving iCarbons a whirl on my 3rd Gen. They have received great reveiews in several spots. I have Black LTE with black carbon and black leather smart cover. :drool:

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Not a skin but a great slim back is the switcheasy coverbuddy. Works great with smart cover while keeping iPad thin!

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
The back is aluminum so I don't worry about it at all. The entire point of the smart covers were to keep the iPad thin and easy to pick up while protecting the screen, and any back cover thin enough to not mess with that isn't really protecting much.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
The back is aluminum so I don't worry about it at all. The entire point of the smart covers were to keep the iPad thin and easy to pick up while protecting the screen, and any back cover thin enough to not mess with that isn't really protecting much.
Aluminium scratches. Easily.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I've always wondered why so many people insist on using smart covers. For full protection, you'll need another case/more protection on the back. Why not just get a slim leather folio case or a sleeve?:confused:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I've always wondered why so many people insist on using smart covers. For full protection, you'll need another case/more protection on the back. Why not just get a slim leather folio case or a sleeve?:confused:
For me it's because I can very easily remove the smart cover when I want to, then put it back on just as easy. With the skin always on I can set it down just about anywhere, slide it across the table, without worrying about scratches. It's convenience I guess.

Plus, the Smart Cover is made by Apple, so I HAD to have one:D.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Gelaskin. Love it. With Gelaskin + smart cover, you get the lightest and thinnest protection with built in stand. And I love being able to take off the smart cover so easily when using it at home.

Edit: oh and it also makes the back less slippery so it's easier to hold.

Last edited:

jazzy639

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Which is the thinnest cover you can get that doesn't bulge over the front bezel - ie just clips on the back? Don't want a InvisibleShield idea (had it previously on all my iPhones and don't like the texture any more).

Wanting something super thin just to avoid scratching the back. I'll use a smart cover on the front so I can take it off when using the iPad (like holding it in any orientation).