Other Smashed my 6s today. 8 or X now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndyR, Apr 8, 2018.

1. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Only a month after I replaced my 6s battery myself as it was basically unusable, I dropped my phone today and for the first time ever I smashed the screen! Pretty bummed but maybe time to replace after 3 years as it’s getting slow to use now even with be new battery, plus I’m sick of the 64gb space.

So replace with an 8 or and X now? I don’t like the plus size but the X seems ok, but the price (NZD$2000) is nearly 1/4 more again of the 8. I usually keep my phones for 3yrs plus anyway.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would say it depends what you’re comfortable with spending and have you personally handled the iPhone X yet? Do You have a preference with Face ID or touch ID? Both phones are great, it just depends what you’re comfortable with. But If you’re looking for a change, then I would suggest the iPhone X.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say get the 8, if you think it only "seems ok".

Also consider a used phone, to get you through till the fall?

4. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

If possible a refurbished by Apple 7 to hold you?

5. Krayzkat macrumors 6502a

Krayzkat

Replacing the screen will be cheaper (Apple UK charges £156.44) and will mean you could then sell your 6S in September to subsidise a new iPhone

6. now i see it macrumors 68030

The only complaint about the 8 is that it's design is "boring" (if that makes any difference). The complaints about the X for some people are a lot more significant. Eye strain from the display, Face ID worse than touch-ID, off axis color shift, the NOTCH. Now granted, lots of people love their X, but a significant number don't,-- or even worse, can't even look at it because of the screen flicker.

The safe bet is the 8 plus. The risky purchase is the X.

7. alphaswift macrumors regular

I'd buy some used phone to get you through the summer/fall then order a new 2018 model.

8. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Get the X-you’ll love it. If you keep your phones for 3 years, the increased cost spread over that time is negligible.

The complaints about the phone are largely overstated by a vocal minority. Do yourself a solid and check the X out in person before you dismiss it based on these criticisms. It’s currently the best phone out there and is worth the extra cost.

9. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Never ceases to bring a smile to my face when folks say the phone design is boring. My house phone hasn't changed it's design in over a decade yet still works exactly the same as the day I bought it. I did upgrade it though, replaced the batteries. LOL
    Back on topic, I would go for another 6S but that's me, I use my phone 95+% to make phone calls and it works great for that. So if you want what you are used to, get the 8.

10. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Batteries aren't as great in those devices, unless you pick up a refurbished one... But who likes refurbished phones? (also the 6s won't be supported for much longer)

11. Martyimac, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

And at that point, if I need whatever iOS is providing, I will upgrade. And my battery capacity is at 96% according to the 11.3 Battery health (beta). Not bad for an almost 2 year old phone.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I really like a physical home button, so I'd recommend the 8.

13. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

6s was the last iPhone with a physical home button. The 7 and 8 both have 3D touch home buttons, and the X gas and virtual button.

14. willmtaylor, Apr 9, 2018
  15. thecarrot macrumors regular

IMO the 8 is really not a significant enough upgrade over the 6s - if I were you I would go for the X assuming you're okay with the price.

16. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

If you do get the 8 you might wait til tomorrow they have a new product red with black screen. Looks great if I didn’t have my x I would definitely get one.

17. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

I always prefer Apple Specials (refurbished) units. Better quality and new parts.

18. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

If you liked how your 6S worked get the 8. If you want a new and modern user experience get the X.

19. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

The RED Edition iPhone 8 is pretty nice. I like how they gave it a black front this time. If I were in the market, that's what I'd buy.

20. m0sher, Apr 9, 2018

m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

I also like the black front on the red phone much nicer and I’d go with another color other than space gray if they did same with the X next time.

To thread starter : if you don’t mind losing the home button and moving to a new UI then go for the X. Otherwise the 8 is your better choice.

I want to say that I personally felt I would not like not having a home button and the notch was a deal for me but after getting the X neither of them bother me and I wouldn’t go back to touchbID. That’s just me.

I like the OLED screen and edge to edge display more.

21. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

The OP keeps their devices pretty long, so I don't think they are concerned about owning the latest and greatest. With that said, I would go with either a 7 or 8 depending on what your budget allows. Like others mentioned, you could save some cash by purchasing a device second hand too.

22. Ffosse macrumors 68000

Winter/Spring, you mean.

23. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

If you want a smaller phone with a better camera go with the x.

If you want a home button with a good camera then go with an 8.

Neither will change your life unless you need portrait mode then go with the x. Portrait mode will change your life.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

With one-year warranty attached as well, with a new battery in most cases, a new display and casing. There isn’t a whole lot of money saved with Apple refurbished devices, but they are guaranteed, which can be equally important.

25. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

iPhone X, this will bring a radical change and still not shock your system with its size. I’ve had mine since launch day and absolutely love it.