Snow Leopard - massive anti-climax and proof Apple are faultering

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ss957916, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I'm not writing this to simply stir-up the fan boys, I'm saying it because SL is the final straw for me - I've had enough!

I did a clean erase and install of Leopard, took some notes then installed SL. my boot time went UP from 25.5 secs to 34 secs and im not sure that I gained any disk space (I know it's now calculating it differently).

As a casual user I can't see any improvements in speed or useability, Mail still takes ages to shut down and iphoto has already crashed twice.

Add this to the fact that this year I've also bought a MBP with a glossy screen that I didn't want (but had no choice) and after not upgrading to the iPhone 3G so I could wait for the 'next big thing' they bring out the 3GS (yawn) meaning I'll have essentially the same phone for at least 4 yrs. And the iPods due out - what's their big new feature? A camera. Wow.

Where is Apple's innovative flair? I'm so, so disappointed in everything Apple over the last year - I don't hold much hope for the tablet.

2. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Troll! Close the door on your way out :)

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Sounds like you'd be happier with a PC, Windows 7 and a Zune HD. Later Troll!

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sounds like Apple and the Mac OS is not for you.

Suggest that you get yourself a PC with Windows 7, Zune, and a different smart phone to meet your needs.

6. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I see his point...

from vista --> windows 7 is a much better upgrade, than the leopard --> snow leopard.

At this point leopard is probably more stable due to all of the software updates. SL will have to wait till around 10.6.3 to be considered stable.

7. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Why would you reboot a Mac?

Why would you shut down Mail?

The iPhone has re-invented the mobile phone market. It's amazing. You're missing out but are too stupid to realise it.

It plays music. What were you expecting it to do?

If it's as innovative as the iPhone then it's going to be a killer.

8. muttonhead411 macrumors member

I do not understand why everyone is flaming him. He has done nothing wrong and he is not trolling. He's just wants to see if anyone feels the same.

I for one was rather disappointed at the 3GS compared to the 3G, so i do share his sentiment. He's not coming here yelling and screaming to go back to windows or anything like that. He is by normal standards a person who loves apple and their products. (he has a MBP and an iphone and was holding out to get the 'new' iphone. Now he also has snow leopard)

I guess realistically we cant really expect too much from apple. Not all companies are able to excite its fan base as much as apple has done and its reasonable to expect a slowdown in the hype after a while.

9. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sticking up for me! You're right - I do like apple and it'd take a lot for me to go back to windows but I'm genuinely disappointed by SL - I wasn't expecting much because they said it wasn't going to be much, but I expected something and didn't think my boot time would increase when they advetised it would decrease!

Also, what is a troll exactly?

10. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Did you get a good look at his face? Y'know, the man with the gun to your head who marched you to the store to buy it?

I'm all for pro-active marketing but I think Apple hiring gun-toting hoodlums to force innocents into purchasing laptops is a step too far. Oh the humanity!!!

11. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Get a PC. Get Windows. Enjoy. The rest of us will happily continue with Apple and OS X.

Oh. Don't forget to install a really good Antivirus on Windows - or you will get some nasty surprises. Hope you also enjoy Windows Updates - you'll get a healthy dose of those each and every month.

:)

Also. It's 'faltering' and not 'faultering' :D

12. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Best post of the year.

I lol'd because its exactly what I was thinking.... I just dont get the I had no choise to spend my money on something! I was FORCED TO SPEND IT!!!!ONEONE111!one!maybea2aswell!

13. Marcus263 macrumors regular

I'm convinced that the forum is full of idiots. You're not allowed to critique Apple in any way. SL seems like a big disappointment to a lot of people, that's why when mine arrives on Monday, it'll be shelved until the bugs are sorted.

14. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

It's only a disappointment if your expectations were too high. It's all very exciting to be installing a new version of Mac OS X, but it was always going to be this way. A refinement with few new 'features'. New features are all that pleases some people - even if they will never use those features.

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

16. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I saw him.
    He looked like a real skinny Steve Jobs and he was holding an ipod which was playing a pan pipe song.;)

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I don't see why this is 'trolling'. There are legitimate points here.

SL is a minor upgrade that is nothing to get overly excited about, but for the price its not bad.

iPhone 3G to 3GS was an anti-climax in my view.

I too hope the iPods get more than just a camera in September.

This isn't someone trolling, this is someone daring to point out some genuine faults. It is just unfortunate that many Apple/Mac fans do not tolerate criticism!

18. emulator macrumors 6502

emulator

because mac fanboys are the meanest among all of them. they only have the 2 lamest reasoning
    - if you don't like it, do it better
    - you just don't get what it's supposed to do

they are even more blind than ms or linux fans. heh, they cream their pants in excitement over a point release OS that's nothing more than a service pack since 10.4. at least linux people need more stimulus. :)

19. HD Fboy macrumors member

This cracks me up.

I run a small business that 16 months ago was a PC only shop. As a non it guy, I was spending approximately $1,000 on consultants every month. Vista Sucks, XP sucks, Windows 2000 doesn't suck. so lets see, we can go back oh to 2000 since MS put out a decent OS. 9 Years for the biggest software company in the world.

Last night I did a secondary Time Machine backup of my MBP, did an erase/install, reloaded my software from via Time Machine, got all my software running, installed iWorks, Went through iWorks all in 6.5 hours. 100% success, only VM Ware caused some small problems. (We bought iWorks to kill MS Office.) 4.5 of of these hours were just waiting on my old slow USB hard drive. Actual installation time was maybe 30 minutes. With 30 minutes to get all my apps running and 30 minutes playing with iWorks.

Today I do my own server admin. I do have a consultant and haven't called him in 8 months.

Right now I have about 10 PC's in my warehouse including 2 big Dell Servers. You could not accomplish what I did on my MBP in a weekend on any of these machines and get the compatibility I have right now. Let me tell you a story, as an old school PC guy in 2005 the hard drive in my 6 month old Dell laptop craps out. We work on the one machine for about 20 hours (yep should have just tossed the machine in the garbage and bought a new one) and NEVER were able to get the machine back to the original state. I carried the laptop until last spring when we went Mac. I don't know why Microsoft products have turned to complete crap but current offerings of Office, Visio, Project ALL are not as god as the versions from 2000 - 2004.

It has taken me until about now for my Mac based computer network to hit break even. But my frustration level is at zero. No weekly problems, email just works. servers just work, etc.

SO, Head on over to Windows, I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Oh, and for the record, I am not a fanboy of anything. A computer is just a tool to me. If MS had not walked away from their customers 8 years ago, I would still be a Windows guy. Now I got to get going I have 8 other machines to upgrade.

20. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

The way people were hyping up Snow Leopard on here, I'm not surprised the OP feels disappointed :rolleyes:

21. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

For me I think iPhone 2G to 3G is more a disappointment.

22. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Fanboys are officially stired.

But seriously, 3Gs is a great phone.

And snow leopard has been freakin amazing, and has been waaaaay faster for me in everything.

Go back to windows though, We really don't care what other people use. Its not us who are going back to expensive useless OS upgrades, tasteless designs, antivirus software, and an os with to be frank really *****ty usabillity.

Seven looks so incredibly half hearted next to snow leopard on my three year old mac.

-Omi

23. ceasetoexist macrumors member

SAME PHONE FOR 4 YRS?! wow man, i'm feeling for you. that's a bummer, really.

24. Andy-V macrumors 6502

I knew this update was minor, but it was touted as improving performance and whatnot. After £25 and a fresh-install you really have to double check the 'About this mac...' window to make sure you inserted the right disk.

I know what this release was about, refining the system. But it doesn't really do a lot for the end user. In my opinion Apple didn't need to release Snow Leopard. They should have gotten to this point and then started building in new features for another year or so. This release is about getting the OS ready for the future, so what is the point in releasing it today?

I don't really mind and the OS didn't cost much. But it's perfectly valid to think 'what was the point in that?'. If you got a speed increase and your system is notably snappier, congrats, money well spent. But for me and everyone else I know, we've seen no change.

25. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

It's pretty sad that the OP posts all legit claims yet people are flaming him and calling him a troll.

No where in his post did he mention the word windows. This forum did overhype SL a little bit.

To the OP: I'd suggest if your "upgrade" after a clean install of leopard didnt work, then just clean install snow leopard and see what happens