Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christurbo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
I did a clean erase and install of Leopard, took some notes then installed SL. my boot time went UP from 25.5 secs to 34 secs and im not sure that I gained any disk space (I know it's now calculating it differently).

A

Why did you do a clean install of 10.5, then installed 10.6?:confused:

If you want to install a clean fresh copy of SL then you just wipe the HDD and then install it from the 10.6 disk, no need to 10.5.

I did a guide, its uploading, check my sig.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
SAME PHONE FOR 4 YRS?! wow man, i'm feeling for you. that's a bummer, really.
Snort. I've had my current cell phone over 8 years. :)

It's pretty sad that the OP posts all legit claims yet people are flaming him and calling him a troll.
I would venture to say that many of us do not consider his claims as all be legitimate. He sounds more like a troll.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Can see both sides of the arguments on this one, SL is by no means the earth shattering release some people were making out, feels like leopard, there's a few nice tweaks here and there, might be a bit more responsive but don't know if that's just because I think it should be.

However I think the point is being missed, Apple themselves have said this release paves the way for the future, it's a foundation builder. You wouldn't go look at laid down foundations and go "I wouldn't want to live there, my old house is better." Once developers start programming properly for GDC, Open Cl and 64 bit apps, then the improvements will start becoming obvious.

I'm not a fanboy, run Windows, OS X and 2 Linux distros at home (am a geek though lol), and fairly new to Apple so haven't seen the development of Apple products the way the OP has and the disappointment attached. Got to say for general day to day use I prefer OS X, love the stability and ease of use.

Just gone from a HTC Touch Diamond running Windows Mobile 6.1 (also tried a 6.5 ROM), to an iPhone 3GS a few weeks ago and got to say it is a massive step up.

Guess what I'm trying to say is Apple might not be as progressive as the OP thinks anymore, but they're still miles ahead of the competition and try to have more of a long term perspective on SL.

*Note amazing how people have a knee jerk reaction to some one posting their opinions*

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
Thanks for sticking up for me! You're right - I do like apple and it'd take a lot for me to go back to windows but I'm genuinely disappointed by SL - I wasn't expecting much because they said it wasn't going to be much, but I expected something and didn't think my boot time would increase when they advetised it would decrease!

Also, what is a troll exactly?

hint: find a mirror.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's pretty sad that the OP posts all legit claims yet people are flaming him and calling him a troll.

If they are legit then we sure haven't heard it from any of the professional reviewers. Heck, even Paul Thurrott, founder of the Apple Hate Society, didn't go as far in his review as OP (See http://www.winsupersite.com/alt/snowleopard.asp)

My personal experience on two machines, both of which were installed the "normal" way, also meshes more with what the professional reviewers say (SL is faster, not slower than Leopard) than with OP's comments. OP's experience may or may not be real, I can't say, but it does sound like he is a troll, not just to me, but obviously others too. Of course the reaction is the one OP is looking for, as is the way of trolls.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
However I think the point is being missed, Apple themselves have said this release paves the way for the future, it's a foundation builder. You wouldn't go look at laid down foundations and go "I wouldn't want to live there, my old house is better." Once developers start programming properly for GDC, Open Cl and 64 bit apps, then the improvements will start becoming obvious.

Amen, it's about time someone got it right. I believe 10.7 is going to be a big improvement from 10.5 or 10.6 but like runebinder said, foundation needs to be put down first before the huge building goes on top. Think about this for a second, can you imagine if Apple made 10.6 or 10.7 a big foundation change AND huge visual change with lots of improvements? Can you image how much headache and bugs there would be. Honestly, I think it would be a complete mess and tarnish there name.

Snow Leopard only claimed to have big under the hood changes, and from what it sounds most of you are probably never going to notice the difference. For those who are using pro apps, the next version of the those pro apps, or possibly the current ones, you will notice the difference. How cpu intense is it to check your mail, or surf the next, or write a stupid word document? Not at all. That's why I stick to people using pro apps are probably the only ones who will notice the big difference that SL offers.

Just because you can't see or feel the difference doesn't mean it's not there.

Edit: I believe programmers out there should know this is a no brainer.

LOLaMac

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
I would venture to say that many of us do not consider his claims as all be legitimate. He sounds more like a troll.

Just curious, what exactly about his post constitutes it being a troll? I read it, and from what I could gather, his main points, all expressed in an intelligent, non confrontational manner were:

- his boot time went up after installing SL. Wow, totally troll. How DARE he say that.

- It took a long time for some apps to close and some more are crashing. Again, MAJOR troll. The nerve of some people, saying programs crash under SL. Trolling, plain and simple.

- He couldn't get a Macbook without a glossy screen. WTF!?! Everyone, simply EVERYONE loves the glossy screen, and no one has ever wished they could get a matte option. :rolleyes:

Don't know about you, but those definitely sound like fightin' words to me. :rolleyes:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Why some people try to do a erase and install of Leopard and then update to Snow Leopard? Why don't go straight forward to Snow Leopard?
Sounds like you like things more complex than what they really are.
OP: had you tried the SL clean install? Other MR threads show a significant difference for some users.
About the 3GS, I do find my 3G not as responsive as it was with the previous OS, so the faster processor is a good improvement for me. Sadly AT&T policies are what I found anticlimax.
The matte is now an option for some MacBooks.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
I knew this update was minor, but it was touted as improving performance and whatnot. After £25 and a fresh-install you really have to double check the 'About this mac...' window to make sure you inserted the right disk.

I know what this release was about, refining the system. But it doesn't really do a lot for the end user. In my opinion Apple didn't need to release Snow Leopard. They should have gotten to this point and then started building in new features for another year or so. This release is about getting the OS ready for the future, so what is the point in releasing it today?

I don't really mind and the OS didn't cost much. But it's perfectly valid to think 'what was the point in that?'. If you got a speed increase and your system is notably snappier, congrats, money well spent. But for me and everyone else I know, we've seen no change.

We can start benefiting now for that OS in 2 years time. Now application development will start targeting snow leopard, 64 bit kext's, further refinements to the core OS and dreaming up new features.

As Apple said snow leopard is nothing but a new foundation, they are rid of the bloat of that has been building up since 10.0 and can now start building of a fresh slate. I would think that after a few years of going on how they were without Snow Leopard that the OS would become buggy with so many features added and nothing taken away.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I'm not writing this to simply stir-up the fan boys, I'm saying it because SL is the final straw for me - I've had enough!

I did a clean erase and install of Leopard, took some notes then installed SL. my boot time went UP from 25.5 secs to 34 secs and im not sure that I gained any disk space (I know it's now calculating it differently).

As a casual user I can't see any improvements in speed or useability, Mail still takes ages to shut down and iphoto has already crashed twice.

Add this to the fact that this year I've also bought a MBP with a glossy screen that I didn't want (but had no choice) and after not upgrading to the iPhone 3G so I could wait for the 'next big thing' they bring out the 3GS (yawn) meaning I'll have essentially the same phone for at least 4 yrs. And the iPods due out - what's their big new feature? A camera. Wow.

Where is Apple's innovative flair? I'm so, so disappointed in everything Apple over the last year - I don't hold much hope for the tablet.

hmm..dude..you could have just waited for some more time...remember the time when leopard came out..hell..it was strugglin to connect to even a WIFI network (on the other hand my 500$ lappy was already on the internet..)

reg., the iphone 3g to 3gs thing..i fully agree with u...i feel...iphone 3gs should have been the iphone 3g in the first place!!!

and everyone has the right to rest on one's own laurels atleast for some time...:) give apple a break..let them relax and then the creative juices will start flowin...:)

and you are not a troll!!! the ones callin u a troll give mac fanboys a bad name!!!

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
complaining about what apple did with snow leopard is like complaining about a car maker releasing a new car with better fuel milage.

I always have a laugh at people who think 3G to 3Gs was a minor upgrade. Just because they didn't change the way the iphone looks doesn't mean the pocket god doesn't start in half the time!

The day I heard apple was planning a refinement upgrade where all they did was rewrite code and implement cutting edge "back-end" technology, was the day I became a fanboy. What would you prefer, apple to do a microsoft and add a new GUI while leaving the same OS underneath from the turn of the century?

I am running windows 7 on my other PC, and i can tell you it is 100% as buggy, and 500% as glossy as windows XP. Way to go microsoft.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
I've felt this for as long as I've read these forums, but just what in the world is this almost obsessive compulsive fixation on boot time?

Someone -- please tell me. I'd understand if it was booting a minute slower, but a few seconds slower?

Does waiting an extra 5 seconds to boot seriously cut down your productivity?

If everything else is improved, snappier, faster, more stable -- does the extra 5 seconds of boot time render the OS a failure?

Always wondered the same thing myself, its not like dial up internet(make a coffee while you wait).

Perhaps it is a mine is bigger than yours thing, if that is the case then Photoshop wins hands down with its horrid load time.

aristotelis

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Well, this is indeed a strange post not only for the results the OP got but also for how he did the whole installation. Erase and install Leopard then erase and install Snow Leopard... uhm?

I work with my computer everyday since I got my first mac in 2007. Never had a hickup or a needed to perform a format. With each update of leopard my macbook and iMac would get just a tiny bit faster and more stable or at least remain the same. After 2 full years of work, they seem fresh as the first day, which is hardly the case with all the windows based computers that I had in the past (and still maintain some today).

So I got Snow Leopard on friday and just did an upgrade. 40 minutes later, my macbook reboot and everything is faster. Noticeably. Not mind blowing but quite a difference. I also got 8 gigs of space more in my HD.

Excited as I was on friday night I also decided to install Windows7 to my PC... Today is Sunday and I'm still trying. If you think it's just bad luck, try searching the internet for "windows iso won't boot from dvd" and "blue screen error on installation". You will find enough information to read for the whole weekend. Surprisingly no blog or big IT news site is talking about it though.

It seems to me that the 300 million $ that MS is spending on advertising is not only on ads...

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
The level of fanboyism in this thread is ridiculous.

So listen up fanboys, these are my opinions....

Snow Leopard is very disappointing. Even for £25. It's nothing short of a service pack. MS would have been crucified if they released that.
My iPhone 3G is awsome, but the battery really really sucks.
My Mac Mini Rocks but has limited memory expansion and a crap GPU
My Dell Mini 9 running Leopard is fantastic, but the keys are fiddly.
My iMac 24" @ 2.8Ghz was very very overpriced.
OSX crashes more than XP.
Windows 7 does rock, but is still just windows.

Conclusion. No Apple or Microsoft product is perfect.

No amount of criticising people who criticise apple is going to make Steve Jobs want to bum you, kiss you, or give you a job.

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005

Snow Leopard is very disappointing. Even for £25. It's nothing short of a service pack. MS would have been crucified if they released that.
My iPhone 3G is awsome, but the battery really really sucks.
My Mac Mini Rocks but has limited memory expansion and a crap GPU
My Dell Mini 9 running Leopard is fantastic, but the keys are fiddly.
My iMac 24" @ 2.8Ghz was very very overpriced.
OSX crashes more than XP.
Windows 7 does rock, but is still just windows.

Conclusion. No Apple or Microsoft product is perfect.

No amount of criticising people who criticise apple is going to make Steve Jobs want to bum you, kiss you, or give you a job.

Oh, and 'One more thing'. Since when was reclaiming 8Gb of disk space a big deal ? 1Tb drives are now what £60 ? Thats saving you what, 20 pence ? !!!!

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I partially understand the gripe. SL is the first thing to ever cause me to have to do a full erase and reinstall, which I haven't yet done out of hope that I might stumble upon a fix. Apple support recommended I do it, since they could not figure out how the Finder and Terminal became out of sync. So far, the usual things — repair disk (permissions), a second install, etc. have not made the Finder miraculously recognize the Macintosh HD (yet it knows enough to boot from it and can provide Get Info).

puzle1

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
I think that some people are missing the point on both sides. I'm new to Apple because I do windows development but switched to a MBP and run win 2003 server via Fusion.

Apple said that this was more bug fixes and under the hood stuff. And from what I can see they delivered on that. For me the native exchange support is a huge win. Moving from 32 bit to 64 bit is more than just a service pack. Yes some of the features might seem minor but that process is not trivial.

Saving gb of space on a laptop is also a big win. Yes drives are cheap but swapping them out is a pain.

I think that the post comments are valid if that is his.her experience but it seems that their expectations were a little to high.

Software is far from perfect. I think that doing this is steps is better to allow developers to get builds out that are 64bit. Yes 10.7 should be a bigger change but it takes time to build stuff. Just look at the Vista screw up to see how to do this wrong. Spend to long building something, try and do to much then cut features and release. It was a gong show.

Having said that Winows 7 look awesome and I will be using that where I need a windows OS. But that took a lot of time.

Is SL worth the price, for me 100% just for the exchange support and space savings.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Oh, and 'One more thing'. Since when was reclaiming 8Gb of disk space a big deal ? 1Tb drives are now what £60 ? Thats saving you what, 20 pence ? !!!!

I see. And please tell me where I can purchase a 1TB laptop drive...and for £60.

You are assuming everyone uses a desktop when the fact is laptops are the marketshare champs these days, and have been for a few years. And while 500GB laptop drives are available, the majority of machines have 350GB or less. In fact, if you have an SSD, as is a growing trend, you have less than 160GB. So retrieving an extra 8GB back IS a big deal for many, many users. And the reality is 8GB is really a minimum. I got back twice that on one MBP.

zwaldowski

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
I don't understand why anyone's getting mad at anyone in this thread. Apple said right on the tin that Snow Leopard was simply a refinement of Leopard. If you didn't think it was worth it, than you shouldn't have bought it. That's all. Nobody's trolling. Hell, sell the disc and stay on Leopard. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my much faster application development and playing MP3's on my desktop without opening QuickTime or iTunes...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

And yet they are being praised for Windows 7, which is essentially a Vista do-over. In fact M$ is charging Vista users $129 to upgrade from that unusable system and still now one is really complaining.

Apple tweaked Leopard, and they said all along it was a tweak. There are some nice enhancements for power users that are def. worth $29. Surely they'd go for more on the shareware market individually. So I really do not understand all the screaming over SL and it's price vis a vis enhancements. If this was a $129 upgrade I'd concede your point, but $29? Most people piss that away at the movies or bar on an avg. weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.