Snow Leopard=Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by canuhandlethis8, Sep 13, 2009.

1. canuhandlethis8 macrumors member

Hey all,

I hate to start the subject of this post so negative but Snow Leopard is really disappointing. I have had nothing but problems since I've installed it. My computer runs a million times slower, Firefox takes forever to load pages that once loaded in a snap. My digital camera doesn't sync anymore, and my battery life has gone from suburb to horrible. I dont think i did anything to cause this, just been using my mp as normal. Anyone have anything similar?

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Snow Leopard works faster and smoother for me, including all of my applications.

So if it's Windows, it's Windows for Workgroups 3.11. :cool:

3. reubs macrumors 68000

None whatsoever except for the expected early adopter bumps. Everything seems to run great here on this end with a fresh installation on a new MBP.

4. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I have not had any problems with SL and it seems to run slightly faster in most cases then 10.5 did I think you should just do a clean install.

5. Acsom macrumors regular

It seems to me that for many people, SL is great; for many others (me included), it is about the same as Windows Millennium for its bugginess and balkiness. And if it doesn't work for almost all users then it isn't ready for prime time.

I like my MacBook Pro, but I'm not a fan of Apple. I feel like I got charged $30 to screw up a $2500 laptop.

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Did you backup and wipe your drive and do a clean install?

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Safari and every other browser is driving me insane in Snow Leopard.:mad:

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

No problems here. And my car even runs better now.

9. Acsom macrumors regular

265G of data? No. I backed it up, yes, but I installed SL exactly the way that the installation disk said to. Which I think is supposed to be the whole point of these Macs, that "they just work".

10. ivnj macrumors 65816

Works faster for me also. No issues here except cyber duck. Just needed to run an update. Everything else ok.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Aside of still not being able to print to a HP 1012, Snow Leopard has been great for me.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I did both a clean install on a brand-new HD on on the MacBook, and an upgrade on the iMac. Both work perfectly, no issues, both are running faster. Even printing to my HP 2605dn.

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

True perhaps but now you have a $2500 paper weight so what are you going to do about it?

Try a clean install... nuke that drive. Install SL "factory fresh". Update SL to 10.6.1. Re-install all your non-apple apps from their source - let them initialize new preferences. Run 'em one at a time before installing the next. Check each for updates, make sure they have no issues with SL. Plug in your devices, reinstall drivers that SL doesn't download for you. Again, make sure they're compatible with SL.

Finally, drag and drop your "data only" over from your backup. Don't use migration assistant.

SL is not without bugs but really, there's a lot of 3rd party crap out there that needs updating. (I'm actually surprised it works as well as it does for a 'dot-zero' release).

14. phixiuz macrumors regular

Same here. SL = pure junk, can't believe they call this stable and I'm using a two weeks old 13" MBP. This is already the second install I did, first one an upgrade now a fresh reinstall and now I'll probably have to do a new install again to get Leopard back.

15. wankey macrumors 6502a

You probably have a bunch of legacy pref panes that is slowing down the mac or a bunch of other things. Backup, wipe the disk and reinstall.

Stop complaining. Try updating a 3 year old XP install to Vista, then come back and tell me what's its like...

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Might be best to erase and clean install.

Then after that reinstall all 3rd part apps, do not 'restore' them from a backup.

I've read reports where MS Office 2004 does not run on SL, however other users who did as described above have MS Office 2004 working in SL.

I look at an OS upgrade the same .... always a clean install, then build up from there. OK I'll admit this is a habit from my MS Windows days, but hey if it works, why not.

That being said I have SL installed on a 15" MBP with NO ISSUES.

ALSO ... after an install, boot up - shut down - boot up a few times I have read that this will help things improve for some reason.

17. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

that was an extremely confusing post to read,

SL does not = pure junk

i have been using it since day 1 with out any major flaws. sure there are bugs, but the update fixed them for me.

i don't see what the big deal is, if you don't want it then don't use it, but it sounds to me like you're doing something wrong

18. ETID macrumors regular

I've yet to install it for this very reason.

On another note every time I read these posts and people ask, "did you do a clean install", I think, sure this isn't a perfect world and everything doesn't always work but surely if there is an option not to do a clean install surely it should mostly work?

It seems that people who don't do a clean install are made to feel like its their problem when in reality it should work, as it is offered by Apple no?

Not trying to start something btw just interested in peoples views.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If your computer runs a million times slower, you wouldn't be able to boot up for a few days.

Anyway, I haven't had problems. One of my friends did an upgrade, and I did a clean install on both my Macs. No problems. Try doing a clean install, maybe your upgrade process was interrupted or something went wrong. A clean install lets you start fresh.

Trust me, but Windows is much worse. Especially when you have viruses.

20. kjohansen macrumors newbie

I have installed SL on my MBP and my MP, both are running very well. My only glitch was booting the 64-bit kernel and my Drobo software quit working. Boot with the 32-bit kernel and it is happy. :D

21. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to figure out why some people are having really bad experiences. My guess is that the people with trouble are the ones with the incompatible drivers (old mouse drivers, printers, scanners, wireless modems, SD card readers, etc) and hacks or haxies (like the ones that change the menubar, change Safari's behavior, etc.). Also, people who did things like strip their applications of PPC code or moved their applications around may be more likely to have problems.

I haven't updated yet because this update seems to be the most likely to break compatibility. However, I don't do any of the things listed above. In fact, if I have to install a driver, I just buy a different product because those drivers end up screwing up something no matter how careful I am.

22. canuhandlethis8 thread starter macrumors member

I did a clean install...and things are still subpar...either I'm stupid or my macbookpro is a dumbass lol

23. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Wow, it would seem that people who aren't happy with Snow Leopard have taken a page from the GOP playbook and have decided instead of following advice to try to get their situation sorted, they would rather pour gasoline everywhere and run around screaming like lunatics.

Here's a clue, why don't you and other complainers take the copious advice offered previous to sort your problems out?

1. Do a clean install at least for testing purposes and see if your problems are resolved (you can always restore after testing).

You will likely find that things are running great.

2. Try uninstalling your numerous unsupported applications, kernel extensions and hacks and see how things go.

I'm personally getting tired of people with heavily customized machines running ancient code that is barely supported by Leopard yet alone Snow Leopard showing up on these forums with a bottle of gin in one hand and a copy of Snow Leopard in the other, howling into the wind about how evil the Apple corporation is to have bestowed such a sickness on them.

Put up (do what I outlined above) or shut up, whiners.

P.S, maybe it's not the Macbook that's got the issues. Look up PEBCAK.

P.S.S, Did you try running your machine for a period of time with your clean install BEFORE you restored your user applications and settings?

24. g725s macrumors member

Everything is running great here and Safari and all apps are faster. I do have just a couple of programs and a mouse that need updates. But those well be available soon I've been told.

25. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I won't tell you which one of those options you wrote that I chose. :D. But anyways, A "Clean Install" can go many ways from a good experience to a bad one depending on everything involved. Did you go to Disk Utility from the install screen and do a full erase, format and began installation of Snow Leopard....THEN install each one of your (known to be SL compatible) apps one by one? Or did you restore from a Time Machine backup after the install or during the install? Did you use Migration assistant to put back all your apps? Or did you just run Snow Leopard after the install without putting anything else on it? Which one did you do?

I've installed SL on 3 of my Macs, an iMac, MBP and white Macbook and I have had zero issues on all of them.