Status
Not open for further replies.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
i was reading another topic, about who do you miss around here
and i was wondering how different people that have come and gone have got banned?

and were any of them allowed to come back?

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I was banned for a good 4 or 5 days for telling dirty stories about what happens to me in clubs in the GayWay :D. So, yes, some banned individuals are allowed back.

_Emerson

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
scem0 said:
I was banned for a good 4 or 5 days for telling dirty stories about what happens to me in clubs in the GayWay :D. So, yes, some banned individuals are allowed back.

_Emerson
That was a hormonal imbalance, that required a few personal days to defuse.

If you had kept that up, even the dog staring at your leg would have had to run the other direction.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
fayans said:
In what usual circumstance can MR user be banned?
For breaking the rules :rolleyes:

This was a daft idea for a thread, only we (the mods) really know why people are banned (most of the time), and it's not something we're about to start talking about

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
edesignuk said:

This was a daft idea for a thread, only we (the mods) really know why people are banned (most of the time), and it's not something we're about to start talking about
maybe. but maybe it will also help other to not get banned.:)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I always like these threads, since sometimes people get themselves banned talking about members who have been banned. :p

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
edesignuk said:

So what happen when you are banned? Have there been any case of someone permanently banned from MR?

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
fayans said:
So what happen when you are banned? Have there been any case of someone permanently banned from MR?
that happens quite often. And I think that's enough said about it.

Generally if the infraction is minor, we do a "time out" of a few days. If it's bad but a long-standing member does it, we'll usually give a week off or so. If it's really bad, it's permanent. And if It's a serial spammer, the IP gets banned almost immediately.

Chacala_Nayarit

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
Lakewood, Washington
Banned users have too go to the willow patch and fetch a switch, and then meet edesignUK behind the woodshack. They than proceed to bare their behind for a long, hard switching.:eek: :D :p

Then the banned users sore behinds are posted in the picture gallery for all to view and comment on. :p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'm surprised this thread is still going and/or no one has been banned yet for talking about banning! ;)

Yes, many members gets banned permanently, many others receive temporary bans. The Mods definitely do a good job of keeping MacRumors clean. :cool:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
camomac said:
maybe. but maybe it will also help other to not get banned.:)
What will help not to get banned is to read and follow the rules. Most members either don't read'em in the first place, or forget them.

In general though, if you start making personal insults against somebody, or use bad language, or misuse the forums to link to non-related things like free-ipod scams or other dubious sites, you'll find out.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I think that the biggest two causes of banning I've seen are:

•Direct insults to other people, especially if they're really mean/cruel.
•Incessant spammin of grey-are or illegal stuff.

If you stay away from those you'll be more likely to get warned, especially if you've been around for while. (I think at least.)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Banning is easy and noticeable for the rest of us.

Members have vanished, and it wasn't always in a single multi-ply garbage bag either.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
fayans said:
So what happen when you are banned?
Your wages are garnished for 3 months and go directly to MacRumors. Fear not, you will receive a nice t-shirt signed by all the moderators along with a parting note handwritten by Martha Stewart ... "Dear Former Member, thank you for your past contributions, but you just don't fit in here. Goodbye and safe travels."

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Deepdale said:
Your wages are garnished for 3 months and go directly to MacRumors. Fear not, you will receive a nice t-shirt signed by all the moderators along with a parting note handwritten by Martha Stewart ... "Dear Former Member, thank you for your past contributions, but you just don't fit in here. Goodbye and safe travels."
Co-signed of course by Ron Popeil, of Ronco, maker of the Veg-o-Matic Vegetable Slicer and the Showtime Rotisserie Oven.

;)

Attachments

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
~Shard~ said:
This thread is so getting shut down soon... :p ;)
Hopefully not until somebody gets banned.

The thread starter needs a firsthand demonstration...

Status
Not open for further replies.