So...my girl dropped her 3 week old iP4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Razeus, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

Well she picked it up and it slipped out her hands and made a 1 to 1.5 foot drop on to my tile floor. It must have fell on a corner because the glass shattered. Took it to the Apple Store and we have to go back today because apparently it's not covered under warranty (though they claim the glass is 30% harder than plastic :rolleyes:) and it will cost us $200. The "Genius" told us they'll basically replace the phone since it really can't be fixed. Apple is really starting to piss me off with their advertising and false claims.

2. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

That sucks. Frustrating as heck. That said, what did Apple falsly claim?

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Harder = more brittle, but more resistant to scratching. Plastic is easy to scratch but is flexible and can absorb impacts.

4. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

Please don't blame your and/or your girlfriends carelessness on Apple.
    Apple never once claimed the iPhone to be shatter-proof.

5. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

I did the same thing to mine and Apple told me the same thing. She can just get a case to cover up the back if she doesn't want to pay the $199.

6. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

not sure if op is trolling or not, but applecare does not cover accidental damage (in this case - broken glass, or water damage).

7. sloppygator2013 macrumors regular

you have been on this forum for two years and you post this "cool story bro" thread?? How is it apples fault your gf has butter fingers? How does it matter if its 3 weeks, 3 months, or 3 years? it's her fault. get her a gophone.

P.S. the phone fell not feel.

8. flash3d macrumors newbie

Yeah, its dead annoying but its one of those things. It shatters precisely because its harder. it will take a lot more steady pressure on it. But any sudden drop and that glass is going to shatter.

Unfortunately dropping a phone has never been covered under any manufactures warranty. Warranty will only cover a hardware 'fault' as in its apple fault that the screen is shattered. But it isn't as they didn't drop it. Granted they did 'stupidly' advertise that this glass is extremely strong. But dropping a phone nonetheless is going to cause damage.

Good luck with everything mate.

9. slimfinity macrumors member

Same thing happened to me. Be polite, but let them know you are dissapointed in the quality of the glass. Explain honestly how you've dropped all your previous cell phones and never had a prob, but te first time you drop this phone it shatters. Let them know you expected a lot more from an Apple product. Ask if they are willing to work with you. I did this and was completely honest and cool with the guy. Long story short, got my phone replaced for free. It's all in the approach.

Btw, I told them it was my fault. I dropped the phone. Realize it's not covered under warranty. I never asked them to replace it, just asked if they were willing to work with me.

10. flash3d macrumors newbie

I quite agree. We are all human after all.

11. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

My bumper has already paid for itself many times over (a lot more now it's free!),

I accidentally projected my phone onto a road as I was getting out of the car. The phone was wired to my car stereo and the cable got caught in my clothes (full Scottish Highland dress :) ). Needless to say, it was after a few drinks at a wedding reception (I wasn't driving BTW...).

Anyway, not a scratch on the phone, but a few gouges in the rubber of the bumper where it bounced and slid along the ground.

12. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

No. The shatter happened to the front of the phone. I'll have pics later today.

Ahhh....the grammar Nazi is out. It's been corrected now that I had my morning coffee.

Ya, nothing I can do. I'll just pay the $200 for her and life goes on. She's going to need to buy herself a case though. She's on her own for the expense if it happens again. I'm not even sure why I'm paying for the replacement in the first place. lol.

13. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

So since Apple claimed that the glass is Harder than plastic that means you can drop your phone that is made out of "GLASS" and it is supposed to do what? Bounce??? a few years ago the car company Saturn advertised their cars doors as "Dent Resistant" but that did not mean you could T-bone it with a pick up and there would be no damage.

14. -MRB macrumors 6502

I dropped my phone onto concrete on Saturday.

My friend elbowed me at the bar, and my phone flew out my hand, over my mates head, and onto the floor.

Not a mark in sight. Although. I did have a bumper on.

Moral of the story - Get a bumper. OR insurance.

15. flash3d macrumors newbie

Its fallen actually mate if you want to be pedantic.

16. fender57 macrumors 6502

This is the main reason I have at a minimum, a bumper on it, and will probably invest in a good case like an Otterbox when they're out.

I agree with this approach, you have nothing to lose. I was coaching a Fall baseball league, sitting in the dugout looking up a football score. I should have kept my eye on the ball, but I did not; a foul ball came crashing down into the dugout right onto my iPhone 3GS, knocking it cleanly out of my hand and into the dirt. The phone suffered a minor crack in the top left and some dings in the back, but it still functioned perfectly. Nonetheless, I opted to get the glass replaced. The Genius told me it wasn't covered under warranty and I told him that was ok, it was my fault anyway, I just wanted it fixed. They swapped the glass out for free and sent me on my way. It's all in the approach, be humble and honest and they may cut you a break.

17. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

Let me correct you. She didn't drop it on purpose. It slipped from a 1 foot drop. There's an issue if the phone can't survive a 1 foot fall. 4 foot fall when standing up is understandable, but 1 foot? Shoddy design and material.

18. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

That totally sucks. :eek:

Anyways, how did you pay for the phone? Did you use a credit card? The purchase protection might cover accidental damage. I'm going to give that a whirl for mine today with Capital One.

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

spelling and grammar are 2 different things.

and how could you possibly blame this on Apple. even if it's 43897149823x stronger, your gf is at fault.

20. slimfinity macrumors member

I agree. I shouldn't have to wrap my phone that I use everyday in bubble wrap. It should be able to withstand a 1-3 foot drop regardless of the scenario. I take very good care of my iPhone and understand it is an electronic device, but it shouldn't need to be handled like fine china.

21. barachus macrumors regular

22. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

I spelled the word correctly. Just used the wrong word. Is that what you're coming to this thread to post? Seriously?

Do you not think I realize it's our fault? Didn't I already say we are going to pay the $200. I'm merely stating that I'm surprised the glass shattered with such a small distance to fall and that Apple made claims (and showed video) of how durable the glass is, which is contrary to what we just experienced.

Go take your medication. It'll be alright.

23. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Look, if I buy a phone made out of 2 pieces of glass and some stainless steel.
    I know that the chances of it surviving a fall of any magnitude is unlikely. those are the properties of the material used. I know that before purchase. If I am worried about the possibility of dropping I should one buy a case/insurance or choose a different phone made of different materials.

somehow people think that apple has found a way to defeat the laws of physics. GLASS IS A MATERIAL THAT SHATTERS. They advertised it as 30x harder than plastic and it is. have you ever seen the white macbook. It gets scratches just by looking at it.

This is not a bad design, the design is what it is. it is up to you as the consumer to decide whether you are willing to take the risk of dropping or choose a different phone made of plastic.

24. svndmvn Guest

agree on the design part
    the material choice is debatable, I believe this new glass is more scratch resistant which actually makes more sensible to falls therefore more easily breakable. But still, it doesn't actually mean any 1ft fall would break it, it all depends on the kind of fall and angulation

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How is it that its false advertising when your GF dropped the phone. I drop almost anything on a tile floor. I expect it to break.

Making glass hard, i.e., tempering, also makes it brittle. So while it can sustain a frontal assaults, its very weak edge on. This doesn't matter if we're taking about glass for a phone, or a glass shower install. Hitting glass edge on is a guarantee to being shattered. I don't see how you could accuse apple of false claims when its the very nature of glass :confused:

btw, I feel your pain in having to pain (or her pain) to shell out another 200 to replace the unit. Of course apple is doing you a favor in only charging you 200 and not the full price for an iPhone.