So, sold my sgs2...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gimmeiphone, Jun 21, 2011.

1. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

...after a few weeks of use, sure the 1080p video recording was the best iv seen ever, and the pictures were really good too, but everything else about android totally annoyed the life out of me. It had some good aspects, like twonky beaming my recorded videos straight to my WDhub, and being able to watch flash video, even the live wallpapers were cool.
    However, after the novelty wore off, i noticed the little things, like the hassle of moving apps around the pages, having 2 different springboards so to speak, how crap facebook app is with its dodgy notifications, to things not showing up, to having me signed into chat 24/7 (might not bother others but im on fb alot).
    The hardware itself was good, until i played angry birds for more than 5 mins and the phone got hot enough to fry an egg! well maybe not but still i couldnt hold it to my face which is really bad.
    The vevo app was crap too with video quality being worse than is displayed on the iphone. Also, my itunes library was an absolute nightmare getting onto the phone, doubletwist just left me with hundreds of unknown artists, and crappy artwork. I actually stopped using it to play music which is a big must for me and most others these days.
    I dont know if its the fact that iv used every iphone since launch and am just used to having things a certain way, but i cant seem to leave the iphone lol does anyone else feel like this?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yes.

I've been through several Android phones and always end up back here.

3. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

tried a few myself, the desire, even tried windows phone 7 which was pretty cool but lacked so many features im used to, think im stuck with apple lol

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I couldn't live without the iPod app. Or all the other countless things that make the iPhone better to use...

5. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah everything else is just a mess on, android marketplace is a joke lol absolute trash

6. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

The next iPhone really does need to step it up with some significant feature upgrades if it wants to be the decided leader in the market. Granted, the SGS2 does have the advantage of being almost an entire year newer than the iPhone 4... it just seems like with some of the other companies making so many advances in the cell phone world, Apple needs to work that much harder to be top gun.

I still likely will not be leaving iPhoneland in awhile for many of the reasons you mentioned and more.

7. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i neeed a bigger screen! playing with my partners iphone after being with sgs2 made the iphone feel tiny! i understand that phones can be too big, but i think 4" is the sweet spot the iphone needs to hit. Also a better camera, as the sgs2 camera is the best iv seen yet

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apple really got a head start in the market back in 2007. It's going to be hard to for other OSes and manufacturers to completely outrun Apple.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its less that they got a head start and more that apple produced a product that "just works" I've used android and iPhones and one of the things that strike the most is how polished the iPhone stuff is. I mean the music app is much better then the stock music app for android. Likewise the email app on the iPhone is much better and easier to work with then android's.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The second paragraph of your post contradicts the first. Apple doesn't need to step it up. They can take their sweet time because the people that have used iPhones in the past know that it's a more enjoyable experience.

Sure, there's a lot of people that have never used one but looking at the sales year to year I would venture to say that those that haven't used it are learning in other ways.

Apple will continue to dribble out minor updates and they're still gonna make a killing.

11. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I'm put off with Android big time, seems way too bloated.

My 3GS is 600mhz or something, single core, and iOS4.3.3 runs really smoothly, whereas some dual core Android phone 1ghz+ is still laggy :confused:

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It's not bloated. It's just not optimized for the hardware like iOS is. If you try a custom rom, you will see that Android can be screaming fast.

13. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Not surprised. Android is really fragmented and non-responsive. I wouldn't suggest an Android phone to 99% of the people I know.

Unless you desperately need an Android-specific feature over the lack of apps, functionality and polish like I do (Hardware acceleration in my case), there's no reason why you would get anything over an iPhone 4.

14. genexrocket macrumors regular

Wow, a lot of people are coming back to iPhone, guess I'll change my mind about getting the SGS2. haha

15. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

speed wasnt my issue, the tasks i gave it, it flew through them faster than any phone iv seen. That said, the steps it took to do something were far more convoluted than that on the iphone. Just connecting it to my mac i had to press menu, settings, network and connectivity(?) usb connections, enable usb connection, then plug in the usb cable. Iphone is simply connect and go. Android is just very unpolished and all over the place, too much going in with little productivity as a result. Jailbroken iphone is all i need iv learned, albeit the hard way lol

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I doubt the average user will want to install a custom rom, added with the possibility of more complicated tasks of fixing whatever specific bugs a custom rom might have.

17. jackhdev macrumors 6502

Android sucks. I could never leave iOS even if someone paid me. It has the best App Store ever, it's an extremely innovative and stable operating system, and it works seamlessly with my Mac and Airport network. A teacher I know has an Android device and he says that it crashes at least once every day, and it takes forever to turn on.

18. ctbear macrumors 6502a

So you like the features on Android but don't like some of the apps you tried?

19. DanteMann macrumors 6502

You would be one of the extremely few. I find it odd that you think 1080P, fast as heck processing, incredible display, best ever browsing experience on any phone, flash content, etc... as just novelties. But to each his own.

20. Cheplampardfan macrumors member

i just sold my sgs2 for $780 on CL lol... the phone was great except for it got really hot while playing games and browsing the web with brightness at its highest.... i went back to my iphone 4 for now until the next iphone comes out.... hopefully those issues get fixed with updates and if the next iphone doesnt impress i will go back to the sgs2 beacause its an awesome device except for it got super hott lol

21. gimmeiphone, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011

gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

No, i liked the some of the features of the samsung hardware, android part sucked ass

again, most of these are attributes of the fantastic hardware, as for android, it was its biggest downfall imo

yeah mine got blistering hot, i imagine the internal components will rapidly degrade over time with heat like i was experiencing

22. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Well because from your first post you talked about Flash and "cool" live wallpapers and then you complained about crappy facebook and other apps

I don't quite understand what you mean by "features of the hardware"...I'm eyeing on the SGS2 and from what I can tell there isn't really any special hardware features?

23. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

4.3" super amoled screen which is great (apart from the banding on gradients), dual core processor and 1gb of ram making everything fly (though androids convoluted way of doing things cancels this out), the 8mp camera which takes fantastic pictures and 1080p video (the best iv seen from a camera phone) all make the hardware pretty sweet, live wallpapers are nice but wont save the os from its many flaws

24. FX4568 macrumors 6502

To be honest, even though ip4 sucks compared hardware wise. Android just cant compete with the app store.

25. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Retina Display is amazing though. That needs credit given to it.