Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunts

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
UK
EASY one handed use
More content on screen.
16:9 video
Doesn't break the 600,000+ apps
Keeps iPhone at a manageable size (not a behemoth)

I have to agree with most and say I wish it was taller and wider.

But as some have posted ONE of the main advantages or reasons they probably are making it taller not wider is so you can operate it with one hand still (of course the extra space and 16:9 video as well as of course not killing the design of current apps all play a part).

My wife has a SGS3 and trying to reach with my thumb to the top left hand corner is impossible unless you have longer than average fingers and thumbs!

For apps such as the Facebook app with a key button positioned top left it would render some functions almost impossible with one hand.

But then again app buttons could be updated and placed in an easier to reach place. Bit limiting on app design though!

Still the temptation for a wider taller screen is impossible to resist. Who knows, if it is just taller maybe it'll make so much sense when I try it all my wants for a wider screen disappear.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
ITT:
People that prefer taller = Hammer legion members
People that prefer taller & wider = Android noob

It's quite amusing really. Taller and wider has more benefits (visually) than taller alone.

Presenting... *Drum roll* ... The iPhone 6!

Attachments

• cm-new-newsletter-iphone.png
    cm-new-newsletter-iphone.png
    412.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
The s in 4s is for siri? Not speed.

Yeah and 3GS is Siri too....

I really think your looking to much into it trying to work out what the s stands for. In the 3GS it was speed but for the 4S apple probably did it because people already associated the s with an upgraded device. If that makes any sense.

tim Cook confirmed that S is for siri at the All Things D conference this year.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
ITT:

It's quite amusing really. Taller and wider has more benefits (visually) than taller alone.

Great idea! You can still use it with one hand, with the added benefit that can be used as a defense weapon :D

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Movies are just one thing that 16:9 screens are useful for. You also seem to have ignored the other points.

----------

I really think your looking to much into it trying to work out what the s stands for. In the 3GS it was speed but for the 4S apple probably did it because people already associated the s with an upgraded device. If that makes any sense.

Tim Cook said in an interview that it stood for Siri, even though I would just assume 'S' = upgraded too.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
bigger screen. That what samsung has been doing. They have capitalized on a delusional masses that believe having the biggest screen means better phone. Increase of the screen of iphone 5 will be .5 inches. Yet the iphone leaked photo shows a product just slightly longer than original. 4" android phones are far bigger in size and width. Sure the thickness has decreased a lot due to the shrinking of components. Apple's iphone 5 will have the larger screen people have been waiting for but not compromise the size and feel that people come to expect.

If iphone 4s which does not look any diffrent than iphone 4 can sell big. An iphone that finally gives users the screen increase they want. It will totaly change smartphone design and newer android phones will focus on 4" screens with a smaller footprint. Samsung's phablets will fade into obscurity like those brick phones of the past.

Get off the fanboy wagon...Samsung is not going to shrink their screens down to 4" just to compete with the smaller iPhone screen.

Second, hate to burst your bubble, but we're in a world where 4"-4.75" screens are the norm. It's not going to go away. I can guarantee that samsungs phones will continue to sell in large quantities with the larger screens. I'd bet my house on it.

Things run in cycles, and right now we're still on the upswing of larger screens, and will be for a few more years. I don't see smaller screens the "norm" until at the VERY earliest 2020. And by that time we may have some technology that makes phones completely hands free that you wear or something

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
bigger screen. That what samsung has been doing. They have capitalized on a delusional masses that believe having the biggest screen means better phone. Increase of the screen of iphone 5 will be .5 inches. Yet the iphone leaked photo shows a product just slightly longer than original. 4" android phones are far bigger in size and width. Sure the thickness has decreased a lot due to the shrinking of components. Apple's iphone 5 will have the larger screen people have been waiting for but not compromise the size and feel that people come to expect.

If iphone 4s which does not look any diffrent than iphone 4 can sell big. An iphone that finally gives users the screen increase they want. It will totaly change smartphone design and newer android phones will focus on 4" screens with a smaller footprint. Samsung's phablets will fade into obscurity like those brick phones of the past.

Hardly, when your doing work on your phone you prefer a larger screen. I say the iphone is more a media consumption device with some work features.

hypnoz

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
To spit in the face of everyone who hates the current keyboard by keeping it horribly bad and literally unusable at times in portrait? To make landscape mode even more useless? To inspire criticism about how dumb it is?

That ought to cover it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
To spit in the face of everyone who hates the current keyboard by keeping it horribly bad and literally unusable at times in portrait? To make landscape mode even more useless? To inspire criticism about how dumb it is?

That ought to cover it.

i only use the phone in portrait and love the keyboard...but i do have small hands.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I have to agree with most and say I wish it was taller and wider.

But as some have posted ONE of the main advantages or reasons they probably are making it taller not wider is so you can operate it with one hand still (of course the extra space and 16:9 video as well as of course not killing the design of current apps all play a part).

My wife has a SGS3 and trying to reach with my thumb to the top left hand corner is impossible unless you have longer than average fingers and thumbs!

For apps such as the Facebook app with a key button positioned top left it would render some functions almost impossible with one hand.

But then again app buttons could be updated and placed in an easier to reach place. Bit limiting on app design though!

Still the temptation for a wider taller screen is impossible to resist. Who knows, if it is just taller maybe it'll make so much sense when I try it all my wants for a wider screen disappear.

I have been really against Apple moving to a 4 inch screen for years now. I was always worried about what you say...not being able to reach the top left corner EASILY (emphasis). But this solution Apple has come up with makes the 4 inch screen acceptable. I will be able to cover the entire phone EASILY (emphasis) with my thumb, one handed.

I emphasize easily so much b/c many on here say they can use one hand on their 4.5 inch Droid whatever. Yes, they probably can but not without having to shift their grip and really reach.

hypnoz

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
i only use the phone in portrait and love the keyboard...but i do have small hands.

Coincidentally I only use the keyboard in portrait mode (since again, landscape is completely useless due to the narrowness of the phone), and it's beyond terrible.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
It will totaly change smartphone design and newer android phones will focus on 4" screens with a smaller footprint. Samsung's phablets will fade into obscurity like those brick phones of the past.

If you truly believe this then I've got a bridge for sale. :rolleyes:

Pandora's box has been opened when it comes to screen size. For those of us that used to use iPhones (or still do) but then decided to try something different, these bigger screens are wonderful. I'm not bashing the iPhone...I've still got my 4S (though I haven't used it since I got my S3, HOX, or GNex), but when I look at it compared to any of those, it just looks tiny. Is it still great? Of course it is. But if you think Apple releasing a marginal screen size update will convince manufacturers that "what people want" is a smaller screen...again, I've got a bridge for sale.

While my limit of screen size is definitely the S3 at 4.8", people are still buying the Note and the anticipation of the Note II is starting to ramp up over at XDA. Of course they're never going to sell as many 5.3" screen devices as any iteration of the iPhone, but the popularity of the S3 has shown that people are interested in bigger screens.

For me, the sweet spot is probably the GNex-sized screen (4.65"). With the on-screen buttons of ICS and now JB, the actual screen size is a little smaller than that (4.5" maybe?) But it's great without feeling over sized. Something like the S3 isn't for everyone, although it's apparently for quite a few judging from the preorders and sales since it was released.

BTW, over on XDA we've seen a good influx of former iPhone owners that have decided to try the S3, HOX, or GNex. Some love them...some decide to return to the iPhone because it's just more familiar. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's all about what each individual user needs. Either of these platforms are great...

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
An easy answer to the OP's question is this: So people stop complaining about their 3.5" screen iPhone.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
ITT:

This is how people are envisioning the new iPhone being but when they get to try one, they'll realize it's not as exaggerated as the leaks have been making it out to be.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO

That ought to cover it.

Coincidentally I only use the keyboard in portrait mode (since again, landscape is completely useless due to the narrowness of the phone), and it's beyond terrible.

For sure, the landscape keyboard is pure garbage... On the only taller potential new iPhone... It will be even worse.

I have no problems with the keyboard in portrait mode. I miss the days before the landscape keyboard. I could lay in bed, on my side, and type on my phone without having it flip to that worthless landscape keyboard... Hate that feature, hate it.

hypnoz

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
For sure, the landscape keyboard is pure garbage... On the only taller potential new iPhone... It will be even worse.

I have no problems with the keyboard in portrait mode. I miss the days before the landscape keyboard. I could lay in bed, on my side, and type on my phone without having it flip to that worthless landscape keyboard... Hate that feature, hate it.

You can lock it to portrait......

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

You can lock it to portrait......

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.