So what exactly does being "hipster" mean

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stirolak123, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Stirolak123, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Because according to various ign article comments in e ipad section, they think ipad owners are "hipster fags" or whatever that is sopposed to mean? So does it mean we dont care about specs or productivity and only want ipads because theyre cool? I dont get it.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It mean's they're 12 years old and hate Apple products because they can't afford them and Daddy won't buy them one.

They're the sort of youngsters that enjoy abusing people playing Halo on their Xbox.

Next!

3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Know your hipster:
    • thick framed, sometimes overly oversized glasses
    • Scarf any time of the year
    • Skinny jeans
    • Baggy toques even in the middle of a heatwave
    • V-neck t-shirts
    • they're all slam poets

I'm sure there's more, but this are the big ones... Oh and they're obnoxious.

4. sanford macrumors 65816

Yeah, basically, it's a pejorative term for just what you wrote. People who care more for personal tech devices doing what they actually need and will use it for, over raw specifications, they're "hipster fags*." Not just limited to Apple-haters. Within the iPad community, people with iPads who are upgrading to iPad 2 without what someone determines is a valid need may be labeled a "hipster fag" on this very forum.

*What this has to do with cigarettes I have no idea.

5. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

Hipsters actually love apple products...

Anyway, hipsters are the type of people who need to play in live traffic.

6. Rodvette macrumors regular

Guess I'm a hipster fag even though I don't think I match with any of the frites as accorig to Wikipedia and urban dictionary lol....

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I was refering to the IGN posters, not the "hipster fags". :D

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

A hipster is any person who relies on cultural trends to portray themselves as cooler than they could ever hope to be without the props.

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

Hipsters. Lots of people use that term.

Artsy, fartsy types, think they are cool, in their 20's.

the opposite of nerd.

But you see, that is interesting, as an iPad is a NERD item by nature, yet is embraced by it's antithesis also.

Hence, Apple cleans up :D

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

+1

11. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

12. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Id probably much rather hang out with hipster fags than video game fags. Im talking the pure gamers who have not much social skills or can hold a conversation vs a hipster lol. Who would you guys rsther hang out with? Unlike hipster fags, most gaming geeks are really rude and sexually frustrated to the point they make vile comments in public and will embarass you if a hot chick walks by. But the hipster fag will just shine her off and hope shell walk up to him.

13. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

One day you cats will judge people by their actions and manners rather than their dress or style or choice of hobby. You can meet and enjoy the company of a wider range of human. Brush off the haters, hipsters, wherever you are.

14. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Go to Williamsburg Brooklyn and all will be revealed.

15. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

A hipster is someone who is smart enough to talk about philosophy, music, politics, art, etc. with you all day long, but not smart enough to see how big of a tool s/he is. The only sure fire way to tell if someone you're talking to is, in fact, a hipster is to ask them "are you a hipster?". If they respond no, and turn their casette player back on, you can be sure you're dealing with a hipster.

16. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

cassette player? Only vinyl will suffice for a true hipster, because on a hypothetical level you could get truer sound out of it. Not that they do though, they just like thinking they do, and feeling retro, and unique. Which they aren't.

17. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I stand corrected :D

18. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I live in Portland and they are everywhere. The MADNESS!

19. 3N16MA, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Honestly Apple is much too big for it's products to fall into hipster territory. That is like saying someone who owns a XBOX 360 is a hipster. The hipster image use to be associated with Apple when only a small portion of the population owned an Apple product. This was most likely a Mac pre-iPod days and perhaps the first few years of the iPod. The association kind of just stuck even though Apple has surpassed that.

Mac/Apple users were labeled many things before the iPod went mainstream:

Tree huggers
    Hipsters
    Posers
    Losers

Of course there was lots of names thrown around about being spoiled or having too much money to burn. Now I guess everyone wants to be a spoiled tree hugger?

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Handlebar mustache and a hoop in each ear

21. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

On the contrary...

Hipsters are also into Pabst Blue Ribbon, which hipster bars sell for a buck a can, and that right there is reason #1 out of a few hundred that I can't be a hipster.:(