iPad So What iPad did you Buy and Why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wicked1, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I just bought an Air 128GB with AT&T LTE but going to trade it back in to AT&T under my 14 days for an iPad rMini 128GB with AT&T LTE just because of the size.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went with the rMini LTE because the smaller iPad appeals to me and my needs and the LTE is more beneficial for my usage patterns :)

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I went with a 32gb Air LTE Verizon model, but I am using it with the free 200mb on T-Mobile.

I really like the portability of the rMini, and I almost switched, but at this point the larger screen helps when I use it for school work.

4. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I like the larger screen for home. Mini though is better for travel IMHO.

5. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

bought the mini for ease of one handed carrying for work, I'm at up to 5 locations each day.

Also so I could mount it for my GPS/Music on the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I bought the Retina Mini 128GB AT&T so that I can take it with me everywhere.

I also have the 32GB WiFi Air for use at home although I use both at home.

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

iPad Air 16GB wifi because I didn't want to bring a big laptop into work just to web surf. And because when watching movies in bed I can use my "iPad arm" to hold the screen in front of me instead of me holding up a laptop.

Didn't need cellular because my family plan is packed and I just tether with my unlimited data using my note3. And 16GB is enough because I have everything on "the cloud" and don't really play games or download random apps

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

I originally purchased the iPad Mini - Retina - WiFi 16Gb at my local Apple Store in the Uk for £319.00 {$532} on 26/3/14.

Awesome machine but due to my eyesight and wanting the extra real estate
    I returned it on the 29/3/14 ,and purchased the iPad Air - WiFi 16Gb for £399.00 {$665}.

I chose the Wifi version as I tether to my Uk Network.

I chose the 16Gb as i know from my experience this is enough for my App needs, and music etc.

Currently have just over 10Gb of storage left ! DropBox helps.

I use the the iPad Air for general surfing and forum use etc and my uses are increasing, and my MacBook Air is getting used less and less.

Happy Days. :D

9. madrich, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014

madrich macrumors regular

madrich

I bought a new iPad Mini non-retina 16g. I made a bid for an iPad Mini retina display 16g on eBay. I won the auction, but when I received it, I determined that it was a non-retina. I decided to keep it for a reduced price from Seller which he agreed. I got a bargain.

The reason I bought it was because I did not want to use my MBP laptop to surf the internet and check email. I have an iPod for my music. I also wanted a biger screen for playing Angry Birdies.

10. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

iPad 2. Two reasons: 1) wanted the big screen. And 2) it was cheap. :) While I'd have loved to get the Air, it wasn't in the budget and this was just before the 4 was re-released (though at $100 more than I paid [$299@Walmart] I probably would've still saved my money). Its for my wife; she uses it for Facebook and Netflix. :D

11. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

iPad Air wifi only model because I have my iPhone and don't need a cellular version and only 16GB because thats all I could afford at the time and needed one immediately for school. I keep all my important files on dropbox or iCloud so there is really no reason to have anything larger. Also didn't get a mini because the screen is way too small for me

12. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Why the outdated 1st gen Mini?
    I just want to surf the web, email, read and occasionally write something. I'm not doing a lot of intensive stuff such as post-processing in iMovie. I knew the screen wouldn't bother me because I actually use a MacBook that has less pixel density than the iPad Mini.

Why slate?
    I prefer the blue tint that comes off of slate. To me the color is quite classy and the logo isn't really in your face. This also helps keep away thieves.

Why a Mini, not the full size?
    Portability and ability to palm it is what I like. I admit you have to have a pretty big hand to palm this, but I do. I plan to travel and the less space it takes up the better. For me the experience is just as good. I'm also a pretty big fan of the lifeproof case design for the Mini. Competing tablets (android) don't have an equal to the waterproof design and reliability of lifeproof cases.

Why 16GB?
    I am a minimalist and most of my excess data has moved into the cloud. As mentioned above, I don't plan to do much post-processing on the device so 16GB is ample space for the applications I love and use.

Why cellular?
    I view cellular as something I need to retain the full capability of my iPad. It's difficult to make use of a lot of the iPad's functionality without an internet connection, and considering I'm traveling with it I prefer to keep functionality. It also helps with the fact that I've used the Mini to replace my phone, you can read more about that here.

13. portcontrol7 macrumors member

IPad Air 128 wifi. Got it cuz I took too much Xanax and dropped my rmbp off the side of my bed. Loooove it, even with its clicky home button. I am playing Netflix shows with two ue boom speakers! Woot woot!

14. Kangda macrumors member

Mini Retina 128gb Verizon. Originally bought the Air, but portability and smaller size won out. I am on the T-Mobile free 200mb plan.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

iPad 4th Generation 128 GB AT&T because it was in a pawn shop and an awesome deal. ($420 including sales tax!)

16. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

64GB iPad Air AT&T as I wanted to get a device that I know will last me 2 years easily. Love the space and the portability of the device.

17. Adonys macrumors regular

can you share what/which mount are you using?

18. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Cool car mount - which one is it?

Thanks,

19. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys, I made it myself i'll take some pictures tomorrow.

20. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

32gb Air AT&T, air for size and eye sight not being what it used to, and cellular because I don't like having to tether to my phone, 32gb because I wanted to make sure I had enough room on this iPad since I plan to keep this one a few years and 32gb gives me plenty wiggle room for my needs.

21. abta1 macrumors 6502

16Gb rMini Cellular.

Was in the US recently and decided to get a new iPad after giving the iPad 4 to my parents and using a Nexus 7 (2) for a little while.

Went with the mini because I've always felt the regular iPad was too large and heavy for extended use and given that it has the exact same specs as the iPad Air, the smaller form factor was more appealing after using the Nexus 7 (which I still think is the perfect size).

I went with the 16Gb version because I have never had the need to store large amounts of media or files on my tablets. I don't even have any music or movies on it now as I always use Spotify, Youtube or Netflix.

However, the one change over my previous iPad purchases is the cellular option I went for this time. Given the smaller size of the rMini, I felt better about taking it out and about than previous iPads and given that you can get very cheap data only pre-paid sims, this seemed like a good option.

22. njsapple2012 macrumors member

iPad Mini with Retina Display, 16GB, WiFi+Cellular.

One of the primary reasons I went for the Cellular model is due to Vodafone UK and their lack of 3G connectivity in Ashbourne, Derbyshire where I work.

Furthermore before that I was an owner of the iPad with Retina Display in the 64GB variant and hardly ever used any of the storage space.

23. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I use mine for work and small bit of personal use while lying on the couch. I initially wanted the Retina Mini because the size "seemed" to make sense, but a couple things made me decide against it and go for the iPad Air. Since it was being used for work I was already considering a Macbook Air but I didn't want to spend that much and overall cost of ownership was going over my budget so the iPad Air was the closest thing in size to the Macbook Air.

Also the screen quality. I checked both the Retina Mini and iPad Air side by side and unless a person is totally blind it's painfully obvious the iPad Air has a much better screen and it's also brighter. These two iPads may have the same specs but they don't have the same screen. I tested both iPads on the brightest setting and I had to end up lowering the brightness on the Air to get it to match the Retina Mini. There was no contest. So for my needs the iPad Air is perfect and the screen quality is amazing. I picked up the 32GB Verizon cellular.

24. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Air 128GB wifi. My eyes suck, and I do a lot of reading on my iPad, so the Air just made more sense (even though I really wanted a mini for increased portability). All of my magazine subs are digital now. 128GB so I don't have to swap things all the time due to space. I can keep a ton of music and videos on there and not feel like I am living on the edge of being full. Wifi because I have a mobile LTE hot spot for work that I can use for mobile network access.

25. CEmajr macrumors 601

I bought that iPad mini first gen cellular because the lighter and smaller form factor is preferred over the larger iPads. Love using this thing on flights.

Also want to add that the car mount posted above looks pretty cool. Where/how did you get it?