So, who walked in randomly and got a 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Motionblurrr, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

I "reserved" my iPhone 3GS (white 32GB) a couple days ago. I saw posts on this forum saying it's definitely going to be sold out, first-come first-serve, etc. So I got paranoid and was going to wake up around 4AM and camp out for it just so I could get myself one.

Well at the last minute I decided not to camp out because I had work at noon and it was going to be a long day.

I decided to drive by my Apple store after work around 7PM and I walked out with a white 32GB 3GS! The non-reserved line had 50 people in it and the reserved line had only four! I was 2nd!

Very happy with Apple right now :D:apple:

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I pre ordered one a best buy
    then told them I wanted another one.
    they were happy to sell it while the manager announced, we are officially sold out of the 3Gs iphones.

3. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

4. LazyDaisy macrumors newbie

I didn't reserve. Walked in local AT&T and got a 32gb around 4pm. They were sold out of all 16gb and all white 32's. I felt lucky... now I feel broke :p

5. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Like I barked all week long I would do - I walked into AT&T about noon today and picked up the phone I wanted - a 32GB black. No pre order. They said they had a bunch left and that it was the most uninspiring iPhone release morning they've ever witnessed for both pre-order people or just walk ins.

For what it's worth my first call was to Best Buy (to get reward zone pts and flirt a bit with the smoking hot mobile phone chica :p) and they were sold out but they only had 5 total.

Loving the speed and snap of this phone and the video recorder is simply marvelous. No remorse whatsoever even though I had to pay the $499 price.

6. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I went in at around 8 PM and they had sold out just 30 minutes earlier.

It was definitely something you could do this time around.

7. crunchymilk55 macrumors member

I ordered mine yesterday online for shipping because I figured they would sell out and didn't want to wait in line. Around 7pm I saw here on these forums that they weren't selling out, so I called my local store, they had plenty. I showed up, 5 minute line, in and out with a new 16gb 3gs

8. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i drove by my apple store to see a 50+ head count. about a block away, my at&t store was empty.

i upgraded today to a 32gb black just cause i told myself if it wasnt stressful, id do it.

it was around 1pm, so it could have been at the end of the business lunch rush? either way. im extremely happy. my g/f on the other hand had to pay $200 more...

9. equlizer macrumors regular

Walked in at 10am and left my info and they called back within 2 hours saying everything went ok. (They got stuck on the phone cause everyone else in the world was doing the same) :cool: I got the white 16gig 3GS:apple:

10. myk13 macrumors member

11. Johnathan macrumors member

I did.. about 6:30pm.. they were running pretty low though, seemed like they only had a few left...

12. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I ordered one online on Thursday night after deciding I could probably break even by selling the old one I had.

So I did that but then Friday rolled along and my gears started turning so I just drove up to the Apple Store about 30 minutes before I had to be somewhere and saw that there was no line. Being internet savvy on the 3G, I canceled my online order (it didn't even get configured at this point) and stood in the 2 person line that was there (at 3:30PM). The guy told me I may have to wait 10 minutes, but there was someone there immediately to assist me. I was in and out in 30 minutes, in time to head to my next destination! I then came home, activated painlessly and synced and played with video right away!

So really, it depends on where you are and what time you go. I think tomorrow will be freakishly busy.

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

I walked in to the AT&T store when it opened this morning to exchange my wife's 3G iPhone (just got it two weeks ago when she broke her 2G) for a 3GS and decided to upgrade my 2G iPhone while I was there.
    They had plenty to go around.

They only had about a dozen pre-order customers in ahead of me.
    The store manager said they had a lot on hand besides the pre-order phones.

14. Acevesx macrumors regular

Got off work @ 330 decided to drop by the apple store to see teh line, about 5 people in line. Went up to the line asked if they still had phones, they said yes and I got my 3GS!!

15. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

AT&T store... And while I wasnin and out in 10 minutes as a walk in I got the 16gig black.... I wanted the white but it was the only one they were out of.... I should have waited in the line at the apple store around the corner for the white.... But I'm still super happy with it!

16. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

I did not preorder and picked up mine from an Apple store.

17. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

In the uk it was better, I arrived at the carphone warehouse at 9:10 and there wasn't a single que, just 4 guys who had just got their iPhones.

At the o2 down the other side of the was a que of about 20 people, I told the guy in cpw this and he went down there and told people they were open and selling the phones right now, no body moved, strange people

18. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Should I have no problem going in tomorrow with no pre-order?

19. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

I probably could have, but I left that task in the hands of my mother since she works next to a mall with an ATT in it. She of course heard it would be sold out and didn't even bother going there. Now I am stuck without it until my sister gets back in town to sign some contracts on Sunday. >_>

20. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Id go to an apple store. ATT stores started running out towards the end of the day. Apple stores have more than enough.

21. e.m. macrumors 6502

more than enough? really? I might just have to go tomorrow :p

22. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I would, but there are two Apple stores near me:

1. I go there all the time, and they are closed for remodeling for two weeks starting last Sunday.

2. New store, and an hour away each way.

There are 6 AT&T stores within 15 miles of me, so hopefully I'll be fine.

23. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I did. Went to my local AT&T store about 1PM and walked in. No line and got a 32GB black 3G S

24. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I went in really just to add a line.

I realized I could get a new 3GS for $299 and thought "Why not?". Bought it.

25. mcees4life macrumors newbie

I Did

I stopped at my local apple store on my lunch break to see just how fast the 3GS was compared to my 3G. While I was talking to people who were in line, one of them offered to buy my 3G on the spot. Let's just say that 60 min later i had purchased a 16 gig 3GS and its a decision that I will never regret. I thought that the difference between the 3G and 3GS would be minimal, but the speed, camera, and better battery is more of enough reason for everyone to upgrade