So wrong in trying to snag a few iPads for quick resale?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chip NoVaMac, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My better half and I are at odds on this...

They would like an iPad2 for themselves... and I admit that though under normal situations I would wait for the iPad3...

Spending some time browsing stores or waiting in line seems a nice way to get them one; and update mine...

Hate to say it... but I am tired of missing the boat on the wave of not making a profit - but but making the demand work in my favor... held of on all the other waves in the past... just did not feel right...

Karma does come around... and never really thought of doing this before...

2. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

because there are those of us who have been going everyday who cant afford the mark up.

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I see bad things happening in this thread.

Dude, do you even see how many threads there are on here of people that cannot, however how hard they try, find an iPad 2 to buy in stores? Yes, karma is a bitch, but beyond that, do you not have an internal compass telling you it's just a bad idea?

4. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I was lucky enough on Friday to get on the line at my Apple store early enough to score the iPad 2 I wanted. I had gone there with the idea of buying another one for the sole purpose of resale for profit, but after seeing the 150+ people in line behind me I just went with the one iPad for myself. I would have felt like too much of a dick taking an iPad 2 I didn't need and leaving one of the people behind me waiting in line patiently for nothing.

6. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

7. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

It's not like you'd even make that huge a profit at this point. Maybe $100 after taxes and whatever fees you wind up paying, etc. Go sign up for some survey site or SwagBucks or something or get a credit card with a good rewards program and you can get that in a few months without pissing anyone off.

8. manman macrumors regular

Yeah havent you seen all the other threads full of whiners that are trying to shoehorn morality into basic supply and demand?? If you can get your hands on one, do whatever you want with it. Just don't post about it unless you want to bathe in a flood of righteous tears.

YOU don't need it, but the person you sold to would, so either way one person who wants one is out of luck. The guy who is willing to pay more arguably wants it more right? : /

9. cocoseng macrumors newbie

Not sure what the OP is looking for with this thread. Do you need us to be your moral compass? In all honesty, there is nothing really wrong in the act of re-selling for profit. Shame on the moron who buys their product from you. The issue comes when it becomes bigger than the retail market... which is sort of where we are now.

I guess the nice thing is that you will still have work your ass off to get one even to re-sell it, so here's hoping you "time the market" right because the real profit window is short... until inventory picks up.

10. mgchan macrumors member

buy one and sell it, use the proceeds to help buy the ipad 3 off craigslist when apple chooses to release only 1 per store per day in order to maintain the "lines in front of apple" headlines for the entire product cycle

11. zenio macrumors 6502

It's called the free enterprise system for a reason. Don't like it, don't participate. Simple as that. Especially in a group as judgmental as this.

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'd rather have the person with the excess income that can afford to pay a premium for it be the one that doesn't get one as a result of my action. I think the person willing to stand in line for 2 hours wants it more than the person willing to pay a $100 premium to not stand in line, but that's just me.

13. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

How about the people who snagged iodide for a domestic resale at a 1200% markup?

14. benhollberg, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have bought eight iPad 2s. Sold seven one them, the 64 GB I kept for myself has been paid for already with the money I've made selling the others. I plan on going tomorrow to buy even more, and paying random people to buy some for me, I'll probably buy ten tomorrow.

15. xMBPx macrumors regular

Chip, this is america, and that is capitalism at its finest. Don't feel bad for the chumps that can't find an iPad2. Wah wah, cry me a river? They don't NEED one right this second; they can wait and get over it. Don't feel bad about trying to make a few dollars. They don't need one, but you can't argue at some point in life everyone needs extra $$ .

Anyone who gets mad at you for being an entrepreneur needs to find a pad to contain their PMS and stop worrying about finding an iPad2.

16. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Good for you... GOOD for you...

17. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

18. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

This is America. If you have the means to buy 10 iPads & sell them for double what you paid, go for it. I don't care if you are in front of me in line. It just means that I should have gotten there before you.

Everyone crying & bitching about resellers are just bitter because they don't have their precious iPad yet. This is a free market. You can call it karma all you want, but if I found a way to basically get my iPad for free, or even make money on the deal, I would be all over it.

And for the record, I do not have an iPad yet, and I am not going to resell it. I just have zero hate for those that do.

19. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

If people are willing to pay double the asking price, I don't see anything wrong with reselling the iPad. It's going to take time, effort, and money upfront to purchase one, so why not make a few bucks?

20. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Nice. You get a free brand new iPad 2. :eek: Maybe I should consider pulling up my resources & do something like you did. :D

21. FireSokar macrumors regular

Honestly, Do what you gotta do man. I have 3, if someone really wanted it more they could have gotten it. I missed sleep to order it and waited in line with my 2 year-old boy to get him his the same day. I don't hate you for it, I got them because I was able to wait and did so. If you can make a buck do it.

22. ineel macrumors regular

yeah i bought 2 ipad 2s on the first day. Ebay auction sold it for $700 for the 16gb wifi. stupid idiot didn't pay me so either i put it up for auction again or just return it to the store. Im gonna return it, ive had enough of these ebay scumbags that bid on things and never pay!

23. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I definitely agree with that. :eek:

I was in line at my local Apple store on launch day. Unfortunately, I missed getting an iPad 2 that day by about 3 people. :( Although I was mad, I did not blame others but I just blamed myself for not being in front of those people in the queue, who all managed to buy 1 or 2 iPads.

Fortunately, I managed to buy a white iPad 2 from a local MacRumors member last Saturday, so I guess everything turns out to be good in the end. :)

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Right now it seems like it is a matter of luck in finding them.

25. h00ligan macrumors 68030

They're not fetching much of a premium from what I see. Sure the odd rare story, but really, 50-75 a pop..my time is worth more.