Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Buy as many as you like, sell them to whoever you want. I can't believe the naivety going on with these people saying 'I couldn't get one so it's not fair that you buy one'.

Free market. You want to 'blame' someone, blame apple for staggering a global product launch. But really, if they're at the shop and you're not, tough luck. you'll have to wait (OMG) a couple of weeks to get your iPad. How will you cope?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
What I don't understand is why there is such a big market for the scalpers to exploit: It's not like the iPad is a permanently limited resource.
I can understand (although not agree with) people paying over the odds to a scalper for things such as sports or concert tickets where there is a permanently limited supply, but I really, really can't understand why someone would pay twice the going rate just to get their hands on an iPad a couple of weeks earlier than waiting for the retail channel to stock up.
The only way to stop these scalpers is to withdraw the demand: If they were left with a couple of hundred (or thousand) iPads that they couldn't shift then they might think twice in the future. The chances of that happening though are about as likely as iOS 5 including flash, unfortunately ;)

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
What I don't understand is why there is such a big market for the scalpers to exploit: It's not like the iPad is a permanently limited resource.
I can understand (although not agree with) people paying over the odds to a scalper for things such as sports or concert tickets where there is a permanently limited supply, but I really, really can't understand why someone would pay twice the going rate just to get their hands on an iPad a couple of weeks earlier than waiting for the retail channel to stock up.
The only way to stop these scalpers is to withdraw the demand: If they were left with a couple of hundred (or thousand) iPads that they couldn't shift then they might think twice in the future. The chances of that happening though are about as likely as iOS 5 including flash, unfortunately ;)

How many people in the US do you think there are for whom $500 is insignificant pocket change? (Clue: Lots)

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
It's called taking advantage of the situation for your own profit at the expense of others. Personally I could not live with my conscience if I did this. But I guess some people have different values.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Personally I won't resell for a profit. Just not how I do things. I have Pittsburgh Penguins season tickets and could overcharge strangers for them. But I prefer to sell them at cost to my friends who are happy to get a chance to go to a game.

If I ran across an iPad or 2 at a store, I would buy them up and sell it to someone I know that WANTS ONE.

Karma baby, karma.

deathcab4xtina

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
what about those of us who got one on launch day after waiting inline all day and now need a replacement? I have been at the applestore everyday at 7 am, and they never have what I need in stock. Im exhausted.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Personally I won't resell for a profit. Just not how I do things. I have Pittsburgh Penguins season tickets and could overcharge strangers for them. But I prefer to sell them at cost to my friends who are happy to get a chance to go to a game.

If I ran across an iPad or 2 at a store, I would buy them up and sell it to someone I know that WANTS ONE.

Karma baby, karma.

You don't think the people buying from the resellers WANT them? I fail to see your point.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
OP

If the best idea you have for making money is to buy and resell iPads, you're not going to make it very far in this world.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Once you buy it, it's your iPad and you can do what you want with it. How is this a moral dilema? Talking "karma" is just a subtle form of unintelligent manipulation.

Last edited:

laser310

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
i think what's really needed now, is for some dumb blonde chick with bit tits to make a video ranting about asians buying ipads, and then post it to youtube

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
OP

If the best idea you have for making money is to buy and resell iPads, you're not going to make it very far in this world.

Ditto for all of us (myself included) spending valuable time posting replies to pointless posts.:p

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
If you can get them to resell then why not?

People who whinge that they havent got one on release day are pathetic, and you have the complete right to take advantage of them :D

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
If people are willing to pay double the asking price, I don't see anything wrong with reselling the iPad. It's going to take time, effort, and money upfront to purchase one, so why not make a few bucks?

Totally agree with you. I got up super early on Tuesday and made it to my local Apple store in Raleigh. Got there at 530am, waited 3 hours in line and had the opportunity to buy my 2 iPads.

Do I feel bad that someone else behind me might not have gotten an iPad? Nope. They should have gotten up earlier to get in line ahead me (anyone ever heard of the early bird gets the worm?)

On a lark, I stopped off at Target and found another iPad which I then purchased.

Sold one iPad 2 (32GB wifi) on ebay for $880 and sold my gen 1 iPad (16GB wifi) for $400. Starting bid on the iPad 2 was $600 which is exactly what I paid for it (pre-tax), so getting $880 is exactly what the market will bear. The person who won the auction (against 5 other people) was very happy she was able to get one for her husband's birthday. She's happy, I'm happy that I'm able to upgrade to a better iPad for free... so where is the issue?

I'm not doing this to make tons of money, I just do it so I can free upgrades to whatever device I'm using.

Oh and yes, the other iPad will be going up on eBay today. Will I try to get another iPad or 2 to sell, absolutely. My wife now wants to upgrade her gen 1 iPad! If you don't like it and you live in Raleigh, NC... just wake up a little earlier.

COSWORTH

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I see no problem with it, however when you break it down and add in expense factors, the hourly rate you make selling one isn't really worth it to me.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
It's called taking advantage of the situation for your own profit at the expense of others. Personally I could not live with my conscience if I did this. But I guess some people have different values.

Good lord. "At the expense of others"? What expense is that? Starvation, health? No. Owning a toy. Wow are we in a sad state when we assign values to owning an iPad.

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
Two thoughts:

While not illegal, I personally find scalping ethically objectionable. It's against the 'love your neighbor' principals that I hold to. Your gain IS someone else's loss (either forcing them to pay more or to make multiple trips to try to find a product).

Secondly, for those wondering why there is such demand, it's good to note that the iPad just came to India 5-7 weeks ago, the first one! There's a massive gray market here and in China. Outside Apple's 'top 23 markets' there are a couple hundred other countries that have rich people who like Apple products. I do think Apple bears some of the responsibility, but I'm not privy to their marketing decision factors, so I'll reserve judgement.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Good for the Asians.

I just got my 64gb 3G iPad 2 for $200 over retail and it was worth every penny! Apple did not make enough so if you do not want to wait you can get it NOW for a little extra money!

This is the market at work and I would rather have private enterprise involved as it works!:p

Walko83

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
Pa

Karma baby, karma.

I live in pittsburgh too, ill buy some tickets off you! although Crosby and Malkin are out

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Good for the Asians.

I just got my 64gb 3G iPad 2 for $200 over retail and it was worth every penny! Apple did not make enough so if you do not want to wait you can get it NOW for a little extra money!
Your post makes no sense. If Apple did not make enough, how did you get hold of one? (clue: Apple did make enough but the scalpers buy more than their fair share. The loser here is you, to the tune of $200)

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
While not illegal, I personally find scalping ethically objectionable. It's against the 'love your neighbor' principals that I hold to. Your gain IS someone else's loss (either forcing them to pay more or to make multiple trips to try to find a product).

I start work at 7am, after work I'm with my kids till 9pm bedtime. Are you offering to go stand in line and get one for me free? Will you do buy me groceries too while your there? Also, I'd like a newer car stereo, would pick me up one of those? Thanks Neighbor! I'm too busy spending all my money on my kids schooling, books, video games, movies, parties, etc so it really helps you doing all that for me! I'll let you know if anything else comes up.

On a serious note, there is a difference between buying a couple and selling them, and trying to make a full time job of price fixing and constricting supply. Eventually, Apple will flood the retail channels with them and scalpers will have to sell whatever they left at a loss. Opposed to say, something with a fixed quantity, like seats to a concert.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
If you can get one in your hands to resell, who's to stop you? You're not breaking the law.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Your post makes no sense. If Apple did not make enough, how did you get hold of one? (clue: Apple did make enough but the scalpers buy more than their fair share. The loser here is you, to the tune of $200)

Sorry but I hardly feel like a loser as I got my iPad 2 and you do not! $200 is nothing but pocket change.:eek:

Your not understanding marketing is what makes you a loser! LOL!:p

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
If you can get one in your hands to resell, who's to stop you? You're not breaking the law.

law =/= ethics

Sorry but I hardly feel like a loser as I got my iPad 2 and you do not! $200 is nothing but pocket change.:eek:
Just because you don't feel like a loser doesn't mean you aren't one. You literally are one. You have lost $200 that you didn't need too, be it pocket change or not.
Also, the reason I do not have iPad2 is because I do not live in the US. Once again, US-centric = FAIL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.