So You "Accidentally" Upgraded to 3.1.3. Now what?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thelatinist, Feb 7, 2010.

1. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This thread's purpose is to provide a central place for simple answers to the single most-asked question on this board at the moment, namely "OMG! I just Upgraded to 3.1.3 without checking with people first to see whether it was safe! What do I do now?" Because the situation is different for every iPhone model, I have decided to write up a post with answers to the question.

iPhone 2G

Jailbreak? Yes
    Unlock? Yes

Relax, you're golden. The original iPhone has been permanently pwned, and nothing Apple does can prevent your jailbreaking or unlocking your phone. If you have upgraded your phone, you will have lost your jailbreak and unlock, but you can easily get it back by running redsn0w 0.9.3. When it asks you to point it to the firmware currently installed on your iPhone, you will have to "trick" it by pointing it to the 3.1.2 ipsw instead. Redsn0w will jailbreak your phone and install BootNeuter, which you can use to unlock your phone.

iPhone 3G

Jailbreak? Yes
    Unlock? Probably No

You can jailbreak your phone using redsn0w 0.9.3. When it asks you to point it to the firmware currently installed on your iPhone, you will have to "trick" it by pointing it to the 3.1.2 ipsw instead.

Sadly there is currently no way to unlock the new baseband installed with this firmware upgrade, and for most people it is impossible to downgrade the baseband. A small percentage of 3G owners (only those who purchased their 3G iPhones in the first weeks after release) may be able to downgrade their baseband using Fuzzyband, which has just been updated to work with phones stuck on the 5.12.01 baseband. The only way to know for certain whether this will work for you is to install Fuzzyband from Cydia and try it.

Sadly, if you are not one of those fortunate few early adopters for whom Fuzzyband will work, there is currently no way to unlock your phone. This means that you can only use your phone on the carrier it is officially locked to (unless your phone is factory unlocked). There is not currently any prospect for unlocking your phone.

iPhone 3GS

Jailbreak? Yes (updated!)
    Unlock? No

Any iPhone 3G can now be jailbroken using the Spirit Jailbreak. See http://www.spiritjb.com.

If you prefer not to use Spirit, whether you use redsn0w or blackra1n depends on whether you were previously jailbroken and have your phone's ECID SHSHs on file in Cydia (you can check this by opening Cydia on your phone and seeing if it says in green at the top of the main page: "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS: 3.1.2"). If you do have this information on file, you will be able to downgrade your phone to 3.1.2 using Saurik's server to sign your install request (follow instructions here). You will then be able to jailbreak your phone using redsn0w or blackra1n.

If you do not have your SHSH on file, you cannot downgrade your phone's firmware at this time, and you will therefore be unable to jailbreak without using Spirit.

Sadly, whether you can jailbreak or not, there is currently no way to unlock the new baseband installed with this firmware upgrade. This means that you can only use your phone on the carrier it is officially locked to (unless your phone is factory unlocked). There is not currently any prospect for unlocking your phone.

2. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Nice information! Extremely useful for all the threads made everyday asking the same question

5. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

6. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I just hope it helps cut down on the number (or at least duration) of these threads. I do these threads primarily so that I can link to them myself...

7. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

8. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

9. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

10. jdaniel macrumors 65816

nice info... but if you accidentally upgraded..cydia isnt gonna be there anymore.. at least it wasnt for me.. so the point would be moot?... no?

11. jdaniel macrumors 65816

just thought of something else... but say you still have cydia.. which shouldnt be the case if you already upgraded.. 3gs to 3.1.3.... but say you do.. but you did not save said files... cant someone with saved files just use some sort of thing like iphone explorer or something similar to extra the files? or are the files sooo specific it would only work on individual phones.

12. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

From what I'm to understand part of what's saved is your ECID or Electronic Chip ID. Unless I'm all wet, this would be like a serial number for that chip. Can't say that I've read up a ton on the file structure.

13. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

The files are saved on saurik's server. You edit your hosts file so that signature requests get sent to saurik instead of Apple, and his server pretends to be Apple's server and signs your install request.

ECID stands for Exclusive Chip ID and is unique to your phone's chipset. Your ECID SHSHs are useless to anyone else, and vice-versa. And only Apple is able to generate the ECID SHSH.

14. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

excellent post latin and agree with the fellow poster...STICKY!!!

just for clarity (non iphone 3GS owner!!) that if you have an iphone 3G then you do not need to worry about the the files save on Saurik's server or the ECID and SHSH correct?

15. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

This is correct. The 3G does not use signed firmware files; they were implemented through a hardware change in the 3GS.

16. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Ahh, so I can downgrade to 3.1.2 and unlock again if I desire?

(Don't need to, Im on O2, but nice to have that option):eek:

17. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can downgrade and jailbreak, but yo cannot unlock. The baseband (modem firmware) cannot be downgraded, and the newest baseband cannot be unlocked (except, of course, by your carrier).

18. jdaniel macrumors 65816

ok I guess i have to wait till they come up with something to re-jailbreak the phone. I am not bothered about unlock part mine is not locked to begin with.

I have tried the pwnage tool and it definitely does not work..1. it sorta hangs after it makes the file... just says connect phone to USB and doesnt say anything else... so I quit the prog.. then i follow some youtube instructions and I put the phone in recovery and select the newly modified 3.1.3 file and try to recover that using itunes but no luck error 1600 so... I guess... i am out of luck for the moment.. but oh well its not as tho I use a ton of jailbreak programs anyways I just use it for themes and one or 2 things

19. jdaniel macrumors 65816

by the way i read the saurik thingy and it only served to give me a headache.... too much talking not enuff direct specific instructions have to sift thru alot of the jargon...

1. As you know I no longer have cydia on my phone.. so I cannot just check if I have done this ssh thing.. so only way is to try and do it? But it seems to say he only has the files for 3.0, now I dont remember but I think i was already at 3.1.2 when I jailbroke using blackrain so.. what does that mean for me..

Thanks

20. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Just to confirm I used redsn0w to JB my 3g on firmware 3.1.3. Thanks for the thread!

21. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

Saurik gets hashes for whatever firmware version is being signed by Apple when you choose to make your life easier, and for every subsequent version as it is released. Those of us with 3.0 hashes also have 3.1 and 3.1.2. You probably only have 3.1.2 (if any).

But seriously, if you can't figure out how to edit your hosts file by following Saurik's instructions, perhaps jailbreaking is not for you.

22. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

I've update the section on the 3G to include info on Fuzzyband for those with the 5.08 bootloader. Please be aware that this will only work for a very small percentage of 3G owners, all of them early adopters. And I have never personally used Fuzzyband, so I can't vouch for it.

23. Maptcb60 macrumors newbie

Jailbreaking an MC Model with 3.1.3 FW?

Hi folks!

Please bear with me here....I`m brand new to the Ipod Touch family....

I`ve read these posts & would like to jailbreak my 8gb Ipod Touch if possible.

I have the 8gb Ipod Touch w/ 3.1.3 (7E18) firmware, Model # MC086LL ...... Rev. 4-6-09. Thing is, after reading numerous posts here, I`m confused as to whether I have a 2g or 3g. Some say it is a 3g while others say it is really a new 2g......confusion!

Is there a step by step process I can find? (tried the Google thing but it doesn`t really get specific with all my questions.

I`m seeing that if you have an MC model this cannot be done? Or is it at all possible with the specs of my Ipod....Thanks for your time and my being a novice in this area, Michael

24. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

You cannot jailbreak, sorry. Also?

1) This is an iPhone forum, not an iTouch forum.
    2) Double-posting is against the rules here. Post your question only once and only in one thread.