Software Fix for MacBook Pro Trackpad Issue "Coming Soon"

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Earlier this week, a number of complaints emerged about a trackpad issue found on the new MacBook Pros. PCPro.co.uk relays one customer's experience:
"Every 50 clicks, my trackpad will stop responding for five to clicks," reports one poster. "Generally this will resolve itself given a few seconds, and is not directly dependent on number of times the trackpad is clicked while unresponsive."
The problem even drew the attention of Apple according to one blogger who received a phone call from the company specifically about the issue:
He told me that Apple is researching the clicking issue. They have no resolution of it and, of course, there’s not really an official acknowledgment of it, but they are checking into it because they’ve heard the complaint frequently.
A Just yesterday, a MacRumors reader emailed a similar complaint to Steve Jobs who responded with a short but revealing email that simply stated "Software fix coming soon."

Steve Jobs has been known to reply to emails in the past and a review of the email headers were consistent with Jobs' previous emails. No exact timeframe on the fix was given, but this information should provide some reassurance to those affected that it seems to be correctable with a simple software update.

Thanks to Max at StartupInterviews.com

Article Link: Software Fix for MacBook Pro Trackpad Issue "Coming Soon"

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I don't believe Steve Jobs replies to this kind of emails.

It's sad to see such a problem in the MB :(
Hope they realy do fix it.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I always thought it had something to do with the calibration for the pad to tell the difference between a resting(?) thumb, and an intentional click. Most of the instances of failure come when I'm trying to click with the side of my thumb (doing a command+click is a good example of when that comes up), or when I'm tryng to drag by holding down the clickpad with the side of my thumb, and moving another finger.

It seems like a simple enough software problem, so I haven't been too worried about this getting fixed. It'll be refreshing when it finally does happen, though.

pfml07

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
UK
Shame

It's a shame that this problem has arisen. Knowing apple though they will indeed get a fix out soon enough. It's not a particularly big issue but hey it's an issue none the less. Come On Apple!!

Oh and p.s - loving the new MBP :) :)

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Took Apple almost a year to fix the keyboard and trackpad on the mid 2007 MBP's. I'm not holding my breath over them fixing this soon.

Trackpad not working after waking up or boot, keyboard not registering the first key pressed after a couple of seconds of inactivity.

They had "fixes coming soon".

lewchenko

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
Its the curse of the REV.A Apple product !

How many times must it happen before people realise that you must only ever buy a REV.B product, or even C to be sure when apple re-design something.

As others have stated, Apple doesnt have a good track record at fixing stuff like this previously, so I will definitely be holding out until Rev B/C for any new form factor machine.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I'm still waiting for a keyboard fix for the macbooks (it sometimes misses the first keystroke).
I wouldn't hold my breath for this fix. ..'still no official acknowledgment of it', doesn't look promising..:mad:

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Haven't heard of this, and I also have not experienced this on my new MBP. Been using mine a few weeks and this is all news to me.

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Yet another example of "It just works", eh?
It just works...better than any other computer :). Its all relative man, and it depends on too many variables to know what is going on yet. I know lots of folks have had issues with their Macs and it turned out to be due to modifications like having "shape shifter" installed. Go with the stock setup and you are good 99% of the time. I know there are always people out there that brag and claim that they have never had any issues with their Macs, blah blah blah, but I can honestly say that in 1-year of use my iMac aluminum has never had any problems whatsoever. That is, no crashes, no grey screen, no "crappy 20 inch iMac screen" issues, etc. Of course I cannot comment on the MacBook trackpad issue, I have the previous version (white plastic).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Its the curse of the REV.A Apple product !

How many times must it happen before people realise that you must only ever buy a REV.B product, or even C to be sure when apple re-design something.

As others have stated, Apple doesnt have a good track record at fixing stuff like this previously, so I will definitely be holding out until Rev B/C for any new form factor machine.
So you are saying that the only product issues that ever occur in Apple products is with the Rev A.; that Rev b,c,d,e products never have any issues like, say, the milky screen on the very LAST PowerBook model, or the graphics issues on the MacBook Pro just discontinues (I think that was was Rev D or E or thereabouts). Not to mention the iMac freezing issue, etc.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't believe Steve Jobs replies to this kind of emails.

Not directly, obviously, but his office will respond. Most people do not realize most major companies have two customer service depts. The main one that people call who goal is to blow you off as quickly as possible, and then a smaller one inside the CEO's office which usually will do what it can to be helpful.

Fidgetyrat

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
I don't have any issues with my track pad.

Also don't have a single dead or stuck pixel, no backlight bleed, in fact, no problems at all.

OMG curse of the Rev-A product, quick everyone sell your machines now! :eek:

Mercellus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
So you are saying that the only product issues that ever occur in Apple products is with the Rev A.; that Rev b,c,d,e products never have any issues like, say, the milky screen on the very LAST PowerBook model, or the graphics issues on the MacBook Pro just discontinues (I think that was was Rev D or E or thereabouts). Not to mention the iMac freezing issue, etc.
Quite honestly, I don't have any problems with my Rev. A MacBook Pro (Late 2008). Works perfectly fine, even the trackpad and the gestures work as expected.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Quite honestly, I don't have any problems with my Rev. A MacBook Pro (Late 2008). Works perfectly fine, even the trackpad and the gestures work as expected.
That's good for you but the problem does exist in some builds. I have the issue in my stock 2.4. It's odd why some people don't experience the issue and some do but I'm guessing it's a driver issue. I'm just happy Apple is working on a fix because it's starting to drive me nuts, and I can imagine it would be a complete turn off to people new to Apple.

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
Might as well get used to the problem. Many of us (including me!) have had the 'dropped first keystroke' issue on older MBPs for a long time now. They released supposed fix that didn't work and now just ignore all complaints. There used to be a good thread about the issue on the Apple forums, but they just delete them all now.

Anyways, when it comes to input problems on the MBP I wouldn't expect a quick fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.