Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
So someone in Thailand won my ebay auction and he/she is asking to send the phone with the AT&T sim card. Question is, is that safe? I've cancelled that phone can he reactivate it?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
So someone in Thailand won my ebay auction and he/she is asking to send the phone with the AT&T sim card. Question is, is that safe? I've cancelled that phone can he reactivate it?
I wouldn't do it but that's just me. :)

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Don't do it. The SIM card has info about your AT&T account. The only reason they would need that is for nefarious reasons.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I wouldn't do it either, but that's me (not the other guy). Can't say 100% for sure why, just doesn't seem like a good idea.

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
ok good. I wasn't going to but I wanted to know if a sim card holds information.

onep00nis

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
I wouldn't send your sim card. I don't know why someone in Thailand wants an AT&T sim card. If he wants that bad, I would tell him to buy one off eBay.

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
This person was messaging me regarding sending him an invoice. I did, twice. and he hasn't paid. I won't send him my sim card nor would I buy him one. It's not stated in my bidding description that a sim card is included.

oakland6980

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
i'd assume is so if he unlocks it he can activate the phone with the sim card.
i recently sold to 3G's and didnt send the sim card. the auction was for the phone, not the sim card with my info.

creeman

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
As others have said, do NOT send him the sim card. He has no reason for it at all.

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I live in Thailand. I wouldn’t send a thing to Thailand as the chances of it getting to the person is slim anyway.

The only reason he wanted your ATT sim card was to do something bad with it.

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I live in Thailand. I wouldn’t send a thing to Thailand as the chances of it getting to the person is slim anyway.

The only reason he wanted your ATT sim card was to do something bad with it.

OMG! are you sure?? I just mailed the package today. :(

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
Wow.

eBay is hard enough on sellers as it is. selling to a buyer from a foreign country just adds to this. I had a high bid from Mexico and I cancelled the auction. I don't need my paypal, AKA my $ messed with. I clearly state now that all my auctions are USA only.

I hope you end up on a the right side of the coin with this.

Blonde Buddhist

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
OMG! are you sure?? I just mailed the package today. :(

Bugger!

I am Scottish, been going to Thailand since 1993 and lived there properly for 5 years.

Thailand has one of, if not the highest rates of credit card fraud in the World and many sites will not accept credit card transactions from Thailand.

Unfortunately i know a lot of con men that live there (They are NOT friends just people i know) All of them are ex-pats. They use Pay Pal to rip people off. The fact that he asked for your sim card sends massive alarm bells off. You can buy a sim card from the 7- eleven there with out filling in any forms. I have loads of them lying about the house and it is very cheap to call international with them. Why would someone want an American sim card??

I know one guy that sold Millions, and i mean millions of £$£$£$£ worth of fake golf clubs through Ebay. He did get caught and is doing 7 years in a UK prison but he doesn’t care as he will still have the money when he comes out.
He himself told me NEVER to get anything sent to Thailand or send stuff out of Thailand because the country is so corrupt that the chances of the item reaching you is pretty slim. And i include TNT etc in that. BUT things do get through, my mum sent me a birthday card last month, it did get to me but it had been steamed open to see if cash was in it, which there wasn’t.

It’s a bit late for you now and i am sorry i didn’t see this earlier. Lets just hope everything goes smoothly for you.

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
the person told me to report it as a gift, and put a birthday card on top of it. is that all fishy?? Im calling the post office trying to get the package.

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
The LAST thing i would put on it is “Gift/Birthday present” because that is what the bad guys are looking for. You must remember that although Thailand is a wonderful place it is still the 3rd World and the guys at the post office there will earn about 4,000 baht a day which is about £80/$110 a month.

londoner888

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Tottenham, London
Doesn't look good. Hopefully its still with the PO.

But you really missed all the signs;

The minute they asked you for your simcard should have sent alarm bells ringing.

Sending an item overseas is often a big risk and you would have to be 100% sure the buyer is genuine. I often get scammers asking me to send an item to places like Nigeria, Ghana, Mexico, Thailand etc etc

The fact that they asked you to mark it as a gift is also worrying since they can cancel the payment and you'll lose the phone as you are not protected by PAYPAL since it was a gift.

Dsking85

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Wow seriously?? Did you really make enough money to warrant this headache. Dont ship stuff to some sketchy country, rule of thumb. Id call at&t and try to change your account info before the package gets there or stop shipment and get ur sim card back.

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Ok first of all i did not send my sim card. I took it out before i packaged the phone. I was wondering how he can still scam me. If writing it off as a gift, then that's how he can scam me?

I called the post office went all the way to teh location the process it before taking it to the airport, by the time i got there it was on its way to the airport. I called and gave them the tracking number they said it's either on a plane or a truck on it's way ot the airport either way they will try their best to have it sent back.

I got a call back from the guy that i spoke with and he said the package was on teh truck and is gonna be sent back to the location that processes the packages at 9 p.m. he then said i could either pick it up there, but i asked him to send it to the location i shipped from and he said okay and that it will be there tomorrow.

mntentman

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
Doesn't look good. Hopefully its still with the PO.

But you really missed all the signs;

The minute they asked you for your simcard should have sent alarm bells ringing.

Sending an item overseas is often a big risk and you would have to be 100% sure the buyer is genuine. I often get scammers asking me to send an item to places like Nigeria, Ghana, Mexico, Thailand etc etc

The fact that they asked you to mark it as a gift is also worrying since they can cancel the payment and you'll lose the phone as you are not protected by PAYPAL since it was a gift.

Paypal protection has nothing to do with whether it is considered a gift or not... obviously if it is won via eBay auction it is not a gift. My assumption is that gift designation is to avoid customs charges. But the seller should never have done that, it's fraud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.