Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryhno45

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
I'm happy everything worked out for you!:D
You have to be careful with international transactions. Your lucky you got your item back in time.:)

gapdev

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
Dana Point, CA
Probably what is going to happen is that the Credit Card he used on PayPal was stolen or he is going to say he never received it (you did send it with tracking/signature required, right?).

Kenny

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
i sent with tracking not sure if signature was required though.

Anyway, I'm glad they were able to grab the package before it leaves. The guy told me, if it was on a plane it would be headed to San Francisco and even then, they can contact them, if in time they can have it sent back to me.

I really appreciate all your help guys especially Troon, if you didn't tell me I would have been screwed.

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
i sent with tracking not sure if signature was required though.

Anyway, I'm glad they were able to grab the package before it leaves. The guy told me, if it was on a plane it would be headed to San Francisco and even then, they can contact them, if in time they can have it sent back to me.

I really appreciate all your help guys especially Troon, if you didn't tell me I would have been screwed.

No probs mate. You and other have hopefully learned a wee lesson. I have never used Ebay etc as i know too many people that rip people off on it. I know that is me being a paranoid idiot, and i also know people get great deals on it too.

Don’t let what i said put anyone off going to Thailand on holiday, it’s the best place in the World as far as i am concerned and the people are the nicest in the World. I have a 2 year old daughter and the best GF anyone could imagine and would never bring them to the west to live as on a hole we have far bigger problems here than they would have in Thailand.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Just a tip. I try to include in my auctions that I will ship internationally. I also add that I will not mark the item as a gift (as this is fraud on your end). The main reason they want you to do that isn't necessarily to rip you off. They do this to avoid paying hefty customs charges and taxes. I have shipped plenty of expensive items overseas and luckily (knock on wood) have not ran into a single problem. I also pay to insure my items and make sure there is a tracking number. I then take that tracking number and immediately include it on both ebay's site and paypals. It's kinda hard to be scammed as long as you take the proper precautions.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I am an ebay seller who has gotten burned by fake credit cards. Paypal/ebay TOTALLY shaft the seller. unless the buyer is in a country where paypal seller protection applies. In my case, the dude lived in Luthuania, but was using the credit card of someone else. I had no way of knowing until weeks later when the credit card company contacted ebay, requesting the cash back, and then I had to fork it over. It's not like the credit card company eats the loss, you do.

Thai people are some of the nicest people I know, I hope this board doesen't turn into a Thai bashing situation. The problem is with criminals, not with Thai people.

Dsking85

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
make sure to pull the money out of your paypal account also so they can't immediately grab the money from you if he does happen to file something.

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I am an ebay seller who has gotten burned by fake credit cards. Paypal/ebay TOTALLY shaft the seller. unless the buyer is in a country where paypal seller protection applies. In my case, the dude lived in Luthuania, but was using the credit card of someone else. I had no way of knowing until weeks later when the credit card company contacted ebay, requesting the cash back, and then I had to fork it over. It's not like the credit card company eats the loss, you do.

Thai people are some of the nicest people I know, I hope this board doesen't turn into a Thai bashing situation. The problem is with criminals, not with Thai people.

The chances are it will be an ex-pat that “bought” the phone. As i say i know far too many people in Thailand that do this crap:(. They will have help from someone at the post office company and a policeman.

You guys can talk about tracking numbers and signing for the phone etc, but believe me, that doesn’t work in Thailand one bit. I hate talking like this about the country i love as it paints a bad picture, but please, as DoNoHarm has said, this is not a true reflection of Thai people and the country. I jsut don’t like seeing lads off here being ripped off, even though i have only been on here 24 hours :eek:

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
so quick question. Once I get the package what do i do? issue him a refund? if i do, could he screw me by requesting more than what he paid???

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
so quick question. Once I get the package what do i do? issue him a refund? if i do, could he screw me by requesting more than what he paid???

How on earth could he do that? You have a transaction record via eBay and PayPal.

You should be fine.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010

just tell him that, post office is not letting you ship it, it came back ! thats it ....

worst which can happen to you is NEGATIVE FEEDBACK on ebay .. but thats about it

as soon as you get the phone go to you pay-pal make a FULL REFUND and include a NOTE there ....

is there a link to your auction ?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Never send a SIM card anytime you get rid of a phone, there are ways to enable them overseas, but anytime you sell any phone remove the SIM card and destroy it.

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
just tell him that, post office is not letting you ship it, it came back ! thats it ....

worst which can happen to you is NEGATIVE FEEDBACK on ebay .. but thats about it

as soon as you get the phone go to you pay-pal make a FULL REFUND and include a NOTE there ....

is there a link to your auction ?

what should i include in the note?

if he leaves me a negative feedback, i will leave one for him too. and call him a scam.

dplxy

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
they just need the sim card to activate the phone
if you just activate for him, he doesnt need the sim card
or just get a sim from att
is cheap

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
what should i include in the note?

if he leaves me a negative feedback, i will leave one for him too. and call him a scam.

sadly you cant leave negative feedback to him ...sellers cant leave negative :(

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
did u get the phone back from post office yet? did they tell you ..u are getting it back or no ?

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
ohh, thanks for the heads up. then i will tell him that the post office returned it.

basically a lot of countries you can not ship phone Thur postal mail , and if you FedEx your phone it will be like $120 shipping to Thailand ! so that's out of question ..ur only option looking at the shipping cost it to send it thru post office and politely tell him post office returned and to you (just to avoid negative feedback )

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
i tracked my package online, it said return to sender last night ,and today it updated at 9 am that it got to the shipping location with the address of where i shipped it. i will go pick it up very soon.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
i tracked my package online, it said return to sender last night ,and today it updated at 9 am that it got to the shipping location with the address of where i shipped it. i will go pick it up very soon.

good luck on getting the phone back .... 3 of my friends lost both their iphone and their money trying to sell old iphone on ebay in last 2 weeks...

if u are still interested in selling ur 3GS , ill buy your phone WITH OUT SIM and SHIPPING locally to USA... i have send you a message thru PM, please check your PM

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
did they sell it to people with low feedback numbers?

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
did they sell it to people with low feedback numbers?

i am not sure .. but one had a hacked account ..so the account owner was unaware that some one was tried to put a quick one from their account

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
ohh, thanks for the heads up. then i will tell him that the post office returned it.

Lying to protect yourself isn't the way I would go about it, but thats just the nature of my spiritual philosophy. Explaining to him that after consulting with likeminded patrons, you decided it was in your best interest to only sell to USA buyers.

This way if you do get negative feedback, which you probably will either way, you can show your future buyers the correspondence in question. Most everyone will still buy from you if they know the details of this "negative" instance.

Honesty is always best. "Brutal" honesty can be done tactfully nearly all the time.

Blonde Buddhist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.