Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aam07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I've been a long time Apple user. I've had every iPhone from day one and early this year purchased my first At&t LTE iPad 3 gen 32gb. I quickly sold my iPad 3 when Apple announced the iPad 4 gen recently. This move totally devalued the 3 gen iPad. I paid $720 plus tax, Gazelle offered me $400, Amazon offered me a gift card for $540, I sold it on eBay for $600.

We all talk about Apples high product margins like they deserve them. Like it's ok. Apple only gets away with this because they have no real competition. Apples product quality, support and ecosystem are unmatched.

But as much as I love Apple, it's time for a real competitor (Google + Motorola maybe) to force Apple to be more competitive with their pricing. Someone that's going to produce a quality flagship phone and tablet with support and more standard features like expandable memory for less.

A 16gb product memory upgrade shouldn't cost $100 like it does in iPads and iPhones. An LTE antenna upgrade shouldn't cost $130. Production cost and technology only gets cheaper with time, but we keep paying the same price for the same thing.

I will continue to wisely purchase and sell my old Apple products in the future because they are the best. But I'm not happy with Apple.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I will continue to wisely purchase and sell my old Apple products in the future because they are the best. But I'm not happy with Apple.
They are the best because they spend a lot of money on R&D, great designs, and manufacturing.

In a lot of ways you get what you pay for, if you're not happy with the prices that apple charges, then by all means move on but if you want the best, then you should be prepared to pay for the best, and I don't mean that just apple products, but any product you choose, whether its a TV, car or computer.

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
This is a true case of Supply and Demand. We demand a good product, Apple supplies us with a good product. We demand new and better hardware, Apple supplies in a new release. You demand your product not be obsolete in less than a year.

This time Apple did it in less than a year. Remember that your iPad 3 is not a useless device. It just doesn't have the fastest proc in the series. I would be ticked off if my device was upgraded after I had just purchased it, but 6 months later isn't that bad. It happens all the time with other electronics all the time. It just sucks when it happens to your product line that you have paid $$$$ for.

I feel your angst but it is the way it is. You get what you pay for in electronics. With Apple, you are paying for the design, the usability and the hardware. They are truly marketing geniuses over there. I have never seen lines outside a Microsoft store or a Samsung Store hell any other store for 1 product. The only other time I see this fanaticism is on black friday.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
It honestly sounds like you have been a fan of your iDevices, so I'm not sure (other than the iPad upgrade) would cause you to suddenly dismiss it. Did it not perform well enough?

Was it buggy or not suit your needs? I realize that what Apple did was unforseen and would disappointing, but I don't get people abandoning ship when the iPad 3 seems more than sufficient, even great, compared to other tablets.

If you're selling out of spite, the grass is not always greener on other pastures. Android tablet's are constantly being trumped with newly released models from various manufacturers.

It's obviously your decision and if you find something that suits your needs, more power to you. I just don't see why people are completely abandoning ship when at one point, the device made you happy.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I've been a long time Apple user. I've had every iPhone from day one and early this year purchased my first At&t LTE iPad 3 gen 32gb. I quickly sold my iPad 3 when Apple announced the iPad 4 gen recently. This move totally devalued the 3 gen iPad. I paid $720 plus tax, Gazelle offered me $400, Amazon offered me a gift card for $540, I sold it on eBay for $600.

Since when was a return on investment guaranteed with Apple products?

I'm typing my reply to you right now on my iPad 3. Strangely enough, the release of the iPad 4 this week didn't make my iPad 3 suddenly stop working. Crazy, right?! Amazingly, it still does what it does quite well, and probably will for quite a while, unless I drop it or something.

You know what would be crazy? If Apple came out with an iOS 6.0.1 for this iPad 3. Or even a 6.1! That would TOTALLY blow my mind, because clearly, now the iPad 4 is out, the iPad 3 might as well not even exist, right?!

And eventually, when Apple announces a compelling upgrade to the retina iPad, with substantially new features that make it WORTH upgrading, then I might get it, and this one will probably be passed off to my significant other. Our 64GB iPad 2 will probably get sold off then, and we'll get a little cash for something that we really got our money's worth out of.

The only person you should be made at is yourself, for selling off at a loss a product that is perfectly good and would've continued to serve you well, all because there's a similar product out there with a faster processor and not a whole lot else.

Apple products, or any piece of technology for that matter, aren't investments or securities. Their value is what they can do for you, and nothing has changed about what the iPad 3 could've done for you just because an iPad 4 was announced.

This first world problem is one that's completely manufactured by users who are overreacting.

Last edited:

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I wont be happy till tablets can play PC games.

But that does NOT mean I want them to slow down developing games so that they work on tablets.

I want the tablets to become so good that they can play the same games.

dawsontribe8

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Georgia

We all talk about Apples high product margins like they deserve them. Like it's ok. Apple only gets away with this because they have no real competition. Apples product quality, support and ecosystem are unmatched.

But as much as I love Apple, it's time for a real competitor (Google + Motorola maybe) to force Apple to be more competitive with their pricing. Someone that's going to produce a quality flagship phone and tablet with support and more standard features like expandable memory for less.

A 16gb product memory upgrade shouldn't cost $100 like it does in iPads and iPhones. An LTE antenna upgrade shouldn't cost $130. Production cost and technology only gets cheaper with time, but we keep paying the same price for the same thing.

I think it is safe to say that we all like a little cheese with our iProducts while celebrating something new to embrace. That being said, you have a point when Apple releases a product only to replace one that was just born 6 months ago. Although, some may look at this as compression of a line up and others will look at it as an improvement overall. I would bet after the release of the 4th generation, we probably won't see another version of the iPad for a while. GO GIANTS!! :D

And btw, I want the new iMac lol!!

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I quickly sold my iPad 3 when Apple announced the iPad 4 gen recently. This move totally devalued the 3 gen iPad.

To paraphrase:

"Apple should slow down their rate of improvements so that I can feel like king of my little anthill for a few months longer. Innovation and product improvement should be stopped so that the resale value of my tablet will never fall."

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012

Which is only the case because their competitors are completely and utterly useless. Android for example seems to refuse to offer a decent GUI. Not to mention, this everyone have their own screen size does not work for app developers.

The biggest failure and sufferer of Hubris this decade was Microsoft. They had the lead on smartphones, yet have ended up close to last. They always assumed that they're Microsoft and can do anything. Yet the irony now is that apple can buy and sell Microsoft.

Don't get me wrong, personally, I hate the technological fascism of Apple. I also don't fall for this hippie image propaganda, considering bellow this marketing machine, they are as money driven corporatist as it gets.

They use factories in communist countries that force college students to work for little to nothing. They take credit for chipsets and technology that is designed and developed by die-hard techies, but market their image like they are some cool hipster East Village NYer.

However, that said, their products work and their CS is second to none. Don't for a second think I don't realize it's an Apple tax and that I pay a premium for the name. However, what are my options? That's the billion dollar question that no one else has been able to answer.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

You paid $720 and resold for $600?? Exactly how "devalued" was this.

And where's the rant posting about how Gazelle was lowballing you?

aam07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
How many of you like loosing money?? Do I hear crickets? NO ONE does!

But every time Apple does what it did with the 3rd gen iPad, we all loose. How many 3rd gen iPads do you think were sold in those 7 months?

I'm sure Apple knew it would be releasing an updated 4th gen iPad when they sold you the 3rd gen. But they will never tell you this. Apple is becoming a money hungry company.

They are starting to lack true innovation and value.

pectin232

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sold 2 ipad 3rd gen and got 3 ipad 4th gen. Honestly I am also a big fan but yes I am not quite happy about this one bit. I like Apple products but to upgrade this fast is not cool. I would not get the 5th generation for sure this time. .... I said that before 'didn't I'.... oh well... I am broke for Christmas....I feel Apple has many 'slaves' like me....

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
How many of you like losing money?? Do I hear crickets? NO ONE does!

But every time Apple does what it did with the 3rd gen iPad, we all lose. How many 3rd gen iPads do you think were sold in those 7 months?

I'm sure Apple knew it would be releasing an updated 4th gen iPad when they sold you the 3rd gen. But they will never tell you this. Apple is becoming a money hungry company.

They are starting to lack true innovation and value.

Once again, these are not investment vehicles. Just because you've had success in the past reselling devices that you purchased for amounts you deemed sufficient when you believed you needed an "upgrade" doesn't mean there's a guaranteed secondary market for them. Apple didn't do anything to you - that you believe they intentionally robbed you of some sort of premium between the $600 you received and the $720 you paid is seriously disturbing.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
How many of you like loosing money?? Do I hear crickets? NO ONE does!

You mean, unlike their competitors. For example, I purchased an EVO 3D at $199 on a plan, yet within 3 months I couldn't sell it for $199.

Of course, it's also still waiting for the 4.0 updates, which is the story of the android fragmentation.

Like I said earlier, the competition is a joke, hence apple being able to charge and get away with anything.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Lol. Want to know about depreciation, buy an android anything. Will be totally obsolete, unsupported and running an ancient version of the OS within 6 months.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
fully understand the OP. Didn't/won't sell our 3rd gen iPad cause that's silly -- apple already got my money, me selling it isn't going to do anything to them or make any kind of point... But I fully understand the point the OP is making.

One of the nice aspects of buying Apple was that you were almost certain to have a "new" device for almost a year (presuming you get the thing when it comes out). To me, that's part of the "premium price" that is paid for the device. I would bet one of the top concerns for consumers of tech-products is fear of obsolescence. With the launch of the iPad 4 nearly 6 months later, they're taking this aspect away. I wish they could see that one of their core competencies is being able to offer the consumer a solid piece of technology without the fear of it being a legacy device in 3 months and all the while staying competitive.

With the launch of the ipad 4 nearly 6 months after the 3, they're going against this trait. It may not matter to a lot of people but I like knowing that what I have is new and will be new for a little while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.