Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

TYGraham

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2020
Northern California, USA
As much as I like the idea, material fatigue is going to cause it to loosen over time, leaving the choice later to either replace it or live with it. I don’t want to live with it...

Now normally, over “Investing” in Apple is not a concern (learned to make cold brew at home and my Starbucks budget became my “overpriced tech” budget), but I assume Sony is going to extract it head from it’s posterior and get pre-orders sorted for the PS5 and I’d rather burn money in that.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Well... that did not go well.

On the day of the keynote I printed the measuring form, verified the size with a credit card (perfect) and carefully cut out the measuring device. I literally taped the "watch face" to my arm, in the EXACT spot I wear my Apple Watch (I have a big tan line) and then wrapped the paper around my arm leaving NO GAP with my skin at all. The number in between the arrows was right in the middle of the 6 range. If I pulled the paper tighter so it would almost rip but created a big uncomfortable dent in my skin I could get it to read in the low 5s. But bottom line is with ZERO gap on my skin it was a 6... so I ordered a solo loop in 6.

It is HUGE. So loose its like a oversized bracelet so the watch will easily slide up and down several inches from the wrist/hand to further up my arm with every movement. There is visible air gap around the entire band and my skin. Clearly I likely need at least 2 sizes down, a 5 is still going to be loose is what I guess but my wife has a 5 coming in a few days (it is sadly obviously going to be too big for her also, we both have small wrists but hers are really tiny) so at least I can try that.

Frustrating experience, I'm returning it obviously and reluctant to order one again until I know for sure what the proper size hopefully by trying one on in a store... just not sure I want to make a trip to an Apple Store just for a silicone band for a watch.

For everyone's reference I have a left wrist of 164mm, 6.46 inches, and I normally wear an Apple Sports Band in 44mm, S/M size, 3 or 4th most tight hole depending how snug I want it... neither allow the watch to move from the wrist position I like.
As I mentioned forget about the measuring form and use a tailor's tape measure. You have a 6.46" wrist and a size 7
there was another user who said he uses the third hole on the sport band but a size 7 solo loop fit him perfectly.
That is because the other user preferred to wear his sport band snug.

CarolG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2013
Northern California
[QUOTE="Randel.D, post: 28923493, member: 12
Yep. Black band on the Red watch. I love how it looks. My boyfriend says he thinks I love it more than him. Maybe?? ;)
[/QUOTE]

Exciting. I have a red Apple Watch coming and a black solo loop should be here next week. Thanks for the photo. I love that combo.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I went to store buy new apple watch. I usually wear sport loop or woven nylon bands. Don't like sport bands. Decided to try braided solo loop. At store they one time use measuring kits, and my measurement was almost 10. They brought size 10 and 9 bands to try. Size 10 was bit loose and 9 nine was perfect. Decided to to buy size 9. After few hours of wearing it I have to say I made right choice. So in my case going with 1 size smaller was right decision. Based on some other replies, it looks that other experienced same. So it might be good ideas to go one size smaller then actual measurement using apple tool. And it looks that Apple store employees might be aware of the sizing issue, since she brought size that should fit based on measurement and another one that was size zmaller On other hand, it is most comfortable band I ever had. Only negative thing that I can say about it is price. It is highway robbery at $100.

Reactions: twanj

jjayr41

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
I went into my Apple store today and went to try on the solo band to see how accurate the measuring was at the store compared to at home. It’s pretty accurate for me. I measured a 7 at home, tried a 7 at the store today and it was a good fit but slightly loose (just slightly). I tried a 6 just to make sure and that felt better. Since I use the watch for workouts I like the slightly tighter fit so I actually went with a 5 due to sweating while working out and didn’t want it to possibly keep sliding. BTW online they didn’t have any blue solo bands in stock but when I went to the store they did have some in stock.

RobXVR

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
I went into my Apple store today and went to try on the solo band to see how accurate the measuring was at the store compared to at home. It’s pretty accurate for me. I measured a 7 at home, tried a 7 at the store today and it was a good fit but slightly loose (just slightly). I tried a 6 just to make sure and that felt better. Since I use the watch for workouts I like the slightly tighter fit so I actually went with a 5 due to sweating while working out and didn’t want it to possibly keep sliding. BTW online they didn’t have any blue solo bands in stock but when I went to the store they did have some in stock.

Funny, I had a very similar experience. I measured a 7 at home and tried a 6 at Apple which was a better fit and in the end actually went with the 5 as I also plan to use it for workouts and would like a snug fit.

For day to day I would say a 6 would be ideal which is one less than what I measured at home.

I also purchased the braided solo as well in a 5 which I found to be a little more stretchy.

Reactions: jjayr41

Oscar-BA

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
Well... that did not go well.

On the day of the keynote I printed the measuring form, verified the size with a credit card (perfect) and carefully cut out the measuring device. I literally taped the "watch face" to my arm, in the EXACT spot I wear my Apple Watch (I have a big tan line) and then wrapped the paper around my arm leaving NO GAP with my skin at all. The number in between the arrows was right in the middle of the 6 range. If I pulled the paper tighter so it would almost rip but created a big uncomfortable dent in my skin I could get it to read in the low 5s. But bottom line is with ZERO gap on my skin it was a 6... so I ordered a solo loop in 6.

It is HUGE. So loose its like a oversized bracelet so the watch will easily slide up and down several inches from the wrist/hand to further up my arm with every movement. There is visible air gap around the entire band and my skin. Clearly I likely need at least 2 sizes down, a 5 is still going to be loose is what I guess but my wife has a 5 coming in a few days (it is sadly obviously going to be too big for her also, we both have small wrists but hers are really tiny) so at least I can try that.

Frustrating experience, I'm returning it obviously and reluctant to order one again until I know for sure what the proper size hopefully by trying one on in a store... just not sure I want to make a trip to an Apple Store just for a silicone band for a watch.

For everyone's reference I have a left wrist of 164mm, 6.46 inches, and I normally wear an Apple Sports Band in 44mm, S/M size, 3 or 4th most tight hole depending how snug I want it... neither allow the watch to move from the wrist position I like.
I have a 168mm left wrist, do you think I should reorder from 6 to 5? I need some help here cause my first Apple watch with the solo loop is coming from Canada to Israel, and If I got the size wrong then I have to put the band in a drawer or give it to someone that can use it because there’s no Apple stores here in Israel. If anyone has an advice that can help, please let me know.
I have a 168mm or 16.8 cm left wrist size (where the watch will sit). I ordered a stainless steel 44mm with solo loop size 6 (Apple online printed tool shows arrows on the line between 6 and 7).

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have a 168mm left wrist, do you think I should reorder from 6 to 5? I need some help here cause my first Apple watch with the solo loop is coming from Canada to Israel, and If I got the size wrong then I have to put the band in a drawer or give it to someone that can use it because there’s no Apple stores here in Israel. If anyone has an advice that can help, please let me know.
I have a 168mm or 16.8 cm left wrist size (where the watch will sit). I ordered a stainless steel 44mm with solo loop size 6 (Apple online printed tool shows arrows on the line between 6 and 7).
Forget the Apple print out. Use a tailor cloth measuring tape to measure your wrist and then triple check the measurement. It should be snug. Once you have that, go to the Apple site and input your size and see what Apple says.

theplaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
Here is my experience: Moral of the story: schedule a watch fitting if you can and find what fits you best for both Sport Loop and Braided!

I had printed out the sizing tool at home. I got an 8 if I let some slack in the tool (like I would a watch band). I got a 7 if I pulled the tool tight.
I used the in store sizing tool. I got the same results. Laying the printed tool on top of the store tool, it's very similar.
I normally use the 2nd from the smallest hole with a Sport Loop M/L band with a 44mm watch. The "hole-to-size" image someone posted in this thread called that a 7.
I walked up to a store and I they gave me an appointment a little more than 1 hour afterwards. My appointment started about 5 min late. IIRC I tried all sizes above and below where I settled.
For the Solo Sport Loop, a 7 felt like the best fit. 8 was too loose. 6 was too tight.
For the Braided Sport Loop, a 6 felt like the best fit. A Braided 7 was a bit loose. 5 was too tight (IIRC).
The store I was at only had this size in 2 of the colors, but not the one I wanted.
The said another store had some in low stock. This meant I could not order it for pickup. I tried going in person, but they wouldn't sell me it without an appointment even if I knew what I wanted.

I canceled my online order for the Braided Green 44mm Size 8 (arrives Sept 24-Oct 8) and ordered a Size 6. This pushed my delivery date back from Sept 24-Oct 8 to Oct 28-Nov 4.

Reactions: reebs

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown San Diego
Forget the Apple print out. Use a tailor cloth measuring tape to measure your wrist and then triple check the measurement. It should be snug. Once you have that, go to the Apple site and input your size and see what Apple says.

FWIW, I used a tailor tape fully snug, got 6.5" on the nose (165mm), which is about middle of the range for a size 7, and ended up preferring a size 5.

Schaden29

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2020
Can't you return the band for a refund and purchase one in the correct size through their online store or the apple store app? That's what I have done. I just started a return, printed the courier label from apple and sent it back free of charge.

Koshkaboo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2018
Hmmm.. I am not sure what to do. I have a watch on order with a regular loop (to get it sooner) and a braided loop size 7 with a mid-November date. I've now read this and get 3 different sizes of different methods.

Using the tool (checking scale with a credit card), I wear a 6 if very snug and a 7 how I like to wear my watch. I prefer it tight enough that the sensors work but otherwise looser. So I ordered a 7.

On an existing loop, I wear it using it on the second hole from the end. That scales to a size 8.

Using a tape measure (which measures snugly), my wrist is 6 3/16" and Apple says to get a 5 for a snug fit and a 6 for a relaxed fit.

So...I don't know. I think I will stick with it probably. I am tempted by the 6 though (despite how I wear the existing loop.

I wish I could check in a store but they are all closed here. Maybe they will open up before mid-November....

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
So are we over-thinking the instructions on the measuring tool, or trying to second-guess it depending on how we each like to wear our watch straps and how we think the straps will be?

I do wonder why there's the same tool for braided and solo for example, when they appear to have different physical characteristics.

Last edited:

Oscar-BA

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
Can't you return the band for a refund and purchase one in the correct size through their online store or the apple store app? That's what I have done. I just started a return, printed the courier label from apple and sent it back free of charge.
If I’m going to return the band for a refund, then I have to send it back from Israel to Canada with the fastest shipping delivery ( < 14 days) that will cost more than the band itself, and another parcel forwarder delivery to Israel with the exchanged band.. so it’s not really worth it.

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
Seems there should really be a swap thread here -- sounds like many people will have unknowingly ordered the wrong sizes. Why go through the headache of an Apple return if someone else on this site has what you need and vice-versa.

Just tossing the idea out there...

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
I assumed if you ordered the incorrect size, you could keep the watch and just return/exchange the band. But Apple support through chat said you have to return the watch and the band. That’s so wasteful. And frustrating. I’m selling my S4 watch and the buyer will have to keep waiting until it’s all sorted out.

Reactions: Never mind

kecinzer

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
So, after many advices I know what size I need to order. I'm going to size 6.
Now Apple needs to release Braided solo loop product RED. I don't understand why there is no preorders :)).

Reactions: CarolG

Luis0180

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2020
Madrid
For those with small wrists (15 cm), tomorrow I'll get the braided blue loop size 4, and I'll let you all know how is it!
I measured my wrist exactly at the watch spot -tight measure- and got 15cm. At the Apple website it recommended me 4 for snug / sport use or 5 for relaxed, so opted for 4. Let's see if I was right or I needed a 3... tomorrow!

Clarke_G

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2020
For those with small wrists (15 cm), tomorrow I'll get the braided blue loop size 4, and I'll let you all know how is it!
I measured my wrist exactly at the watch spot -tight measure- and got 15cm. At the Apple website it recommended me 4 for snug / sport use or 5 for relaxed, so opted for 4. Let's see if I was right or I needed a 3... tomorrow!

14 cm here, which I think would be 1 size smaller than you. Waiting for yor reviws - and possibily pictures!

Reactions: Luis0180

Expos of 1969

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2013
Uh oh.... if this confusion due to a bad Apple supplied tool continues, the "wrong fitting Watch loop" scenario is going to rival the "wrong fitting bra" scenario. Studies show that 80% of women are wearing the wrong size bra - 70% too small and 30% too large.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
The tool shows I’m right in between 5-6. Measuring I’m 15.5 cm and says I’m a 5. I’d assume a 5 would work but who knows at this point.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I used a tape measure and their sizing worked perfectly. Love this new braided band but it‘s still overpriced.

RPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
The tool shows I’m right in between 5-6. Measuring I’m 15.5 cm and says I’m a 5. I’d assume a 5 would work but who knows at this point.
Same size wrist as me and 5 was far too large. 4 was better and I'd have tried a 3 if that came in 44mm.

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So are we over-thinking the instructions on the measuring tool, or trying to second-guess it depending on how we each like to wear our watch straps and how we think the straps will be?

I do wonder why there's the same tool for braided and solo for example, when they appear to have different physical characteristics.
This is MacRumors. Of course we are overthinking things, in addition to trying to get the correct fit for how we like to wear our watches. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.