Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whatos

macrumors 6502a
You changed your mind, went back in time, and ordered a watch? Impressive. Until you show a picture of your fedex confirmation of delivery or a picture of your watch, you won't be believed.
You just don't get it, nor do I care what you think.
The tired, overused, juvenile game of "pic or it didn't happen" only proves there's little boys on this forum.
Find someone else to play games with.

andrewmaj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Wow I can't believe how pathetic this guy is. Why would he lie when it's so easy to find he lied.

Guy is a mess. Posted all over on the 15th and 16th how he didnt order one then magically starts posting in threads about a watch that hasnt been shipped out yet how he ordered it 1,3 or 4 minutes depending on the thread after orders went live. Crazy

----------

You just don't get it, nor do I care what you think.
The tired, overused, juvenile game of "pic or it didn't happen" only proves there's little boys on this forum.
Find someone else to play games with.

Just trying to let others know the truth of it. Many of us are patiently waiting for our Links to ship. Have a good day :)

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
This is absolutely the best response I have ever read. Wait....no it's not. This post is uninformative and doesn't even address the thread. It's the ridiculous ranting of someone who blindly defends a product. I feel dumber for having read it. I'm glad you are enjoying your watch. I know I'm enjoying mine. It is ridiculous that seem to enjoy belittling someone for having issues. SMH.

I'm sorry buddy. I was having too much fun with OP. Just to put it into context, when someone posts that they don't like the weight of the packaging and it's too difficult to use based on owning Apple products for 1000 years(and not reading the manual)... I just couldn't help myself.

Macrumors is famous for pointless rants, I get that. I just wanted to challenge some of these assumptions by making fun of them.

Anyway, I hope we can be still be friends.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Some basic first impressions.

Guy is a mess. Posted all over on the 15th and 16th how he didnt order one then magically starts posting in threads about a watch that hasnt been shipped out yet how he ordered it 1,3 or 4 minutes depending on the thread after orders went live. Crazy

----------

Just trying to let others know the truth of it. Many of us are patiently waiting for our Links to ship. Have a good day :)

Interestingly, I put this guy on ignore a few days ago. IIRC, he was doing woo-woo conspiracy speak in multiple threads about what a well-oiled spin machine Apple was, while also claiming to be a major shareholder. So that was fun, but not fun enough.

Couple of updated thoughts: I figured out the hoops to jump through to sync music to the watch and play it back *from the watch*. I quite like it as a fitness tracker--a more tactile experience than the Fitbit. I'm not sure when it syncs over to the activity app on the phone, but it's not instant.

Hue app still crashes about half the time.

Appigo ToDo is shockingly functional.

I'm happy with the watch's responsiveness when I hold it up to look at it.

I really don't like force touch. I never feel like I'm doing it right.

Last edited:

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
There has to be a better way to add music to the watch. Syncing is painful. Are they using wi-fi or BlueTooth? It shouldn't take an hour to sync 60 songs :mad:

This really does feel like a first gen product. Tons of little stuff that annoys me, stuff that doesn't make any sense.

It took me 10 minutes to sync 126 songs.

----------

Working out with the app really kills the battery. I lost 20% after a 45 minute run. At this rate I'll end up charging this twice a day. At first I was having second thoughts about the Sport model when I saw the sexy SS ones, but now I'm just having second thoughts.

It's not a bad product, but it's not worth $400 IMHO. We'll see how I feel come Monday.

I didn't have nearly as steep a decline when using the app... If yours keeps doing that, you might want to have it looked at.

----------

Yikes.

I'm not getting a good feeling. I may cancel. It just sounds really buggy.

I knew the notifications would be tricky. They're tricky on my phone, let alone sending them to this thing. I was going to use it standalone, but it doesn't look good.

I'm really glad there's a delay with my order. I'll have a short while to decide.

Good to see honest, objective, impressions though.

The thing is, I sort of knew it was going to be like this, so it's not a disappointment. The question is do I want a somewhat gimped device for this cost

You really need to see for yourself. For every person who thinks the watch is a mess, there's another person who thinks it is incredible.

----------

7. The Maps app is awful. It seems to assume I'm driving and I don't know how to tell it I'm walking. It says things like "Proceed to X street" but I have no idea where that is and the map onscreen is tiny. The turn left/turn right taptic thingies are indistinguishable to me.

12. Receiving someone's heartbeat is really creepy. I tried it with a friend. I can imagine it might be intense with a lover, but it's just weird otherwise. Drawing pictures is really hard. I think that'll all get old real quick. Poking/tapping a friend is quite fun, though and could be useful.

13. Siri was a bit buggy. I tried demonstrating it to a friend using "Hey Siri" -- nothing happened. Over and over again. Of course, now that the friend's not here, it's working fine again.

How are you requesting directions? If you are doing it through the phone, you tell it you want walking directions before you start.

If through the watch, try "hey Siri, walking directions to World of Beer." I haven't tried that myself, but worth a shot!

Yes, heartbeat is creepy!

Remember, Hey Siri only works when the watch is "on." If face is dark, it won't work.

I do agree with the poster who said that in the case of the watch, reading the manual really helps shorten the learning curve. ;)

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
For every person who thinks the watch is a mess, there's another person who thinks it is incredible.

I think it's a little of both (does that make it an incredible mess?:D) There are many moments where you feel like you're living in the future, or where you really appreciate the thought that went into it, and many others where you're left scratching your head. And I'm not even talking about the (fairly frequent) times when it doesn't work as intended.

This is just so incredibly ambitious as a product compared to something like the iPad that I think it's inevitable that some things won't quite gel or work as well as we would hope. I do see some amazing potential here, although part of me wonders if they should've started a little slower and just introduced the two Sport models to work out the bugs before going for the full-on advertising blitz. I don't really think this is ready for my mother or sister to use (and they both use iPhones and iPads).

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
My initial first impressions are that the fit and finish is excellent (38 sport white).

The haptic feedback was slight at first, but after turning on prominent haptic it's fine.

The packaging, while heavy, is very high quality -- and this is just based off the sport model. Definitely the best packaging of any apple product in a long time.

Third party apps such as instagram do take a while to load. The first party apps are quick and snappy.

I have yet to test the fitness capabilities, but I expect them to be fine.

Basically, I think the phone works exactly as advertised and I'm satisfied.

That being said, I'm still glad I only purchased the sport. The watch definitely has a generation one feel to it and a watch operable independent from an iphone has to be the next iteration, along with more health functions (such as bp). For myself, I'm not entirely sure how the watch will be incorporated in my life. I don't know if it will truly enhance anything or make things more streamlined and simpler. It is, however, very cool. That might be all it needs right now.

Can you explain what prominent haptic does? A lot of people I know is complaining that the tap is too light to notice. Does this just turn up the pressure?

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Can you explain what prominent haptic does? A lot of people I know is complaining that the tap is too light to notice. Does this just turn up the pressure?

It "preannounces" haptic feedback by playing a strong tap beforehand. It helps you not to miss the taps somewhat, although even with it on I feel like it's often not quite noticeable enough.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
It "preannounces" haptic feedback by playing a strong tap beforehand. It helps you not to miss the taps somewhat, although even with it on I feel like it's often not quite noticeable enough.

I don't get it, why would it preannouce a tap with another harder tap? It seems like a sick joke. Why not just give you the notification with one hard tap?

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I don't get it, why would it preannouce a tap with another harder tap? It seems like a sick joke. Why not just give you the notification with one hard tap?

Because the taps are different for different things. If you get a phone call, the tap pattern is different from the one used for a text message. So it would tap you once to get your attention and then play the actual tap for the notification. Or at least that's my understanding. In practice, it can be difficult to tell them apart, but at least if you turn on the prominent haptic feature you get more taps, and a better chance to avoid missing them.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Loving mine, SS 38 WSB, already got used to quickly checking updates and texts without having to get out my 6+ which is a bonus. Battery life is really good. Being able to change watch faces to suit the situation you are in. Weather update on my wrist, controlling my iPhone linked to my Bose speaker to change music, taking phone calls, quickly responding to texts, I feel it's already become part of my routine. Just ordered the classic buckle for a more dressy watch, will look to get link bracelet at some point and cancelled my additional order for 42 SG, as I know this is the right size for me. About to create a watch playlist to download.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
It took me 10 minutes to sync 126 songs.

----------

I didn't have nearly as steep a decline when using the app... If yours keeps doing that, you might want to have it looked at.

----------

You really need to see for yourself. For every person who thinks the watch is a mess, there's another person who thinks it is incredible.

----------

How are you requesting directions? If you are doing it through the phone, you tell it you want walking directions before you start.

If through the watch, try "hey Siri, walking directions to World of Beer." I haven't tried that myself, but worth a shot!

Yes, heartbeat is creepy!

Remember, Hey Siri only works when the watch is "on." If face is dark, it won't work.

I do agree with the poster who said that in the case of the watch, reading the manual really helps shorten the learning curve. ;)

No, it lasted 17 hours yesterday. I actually just woke up, fell asleep with it on my wrist and it still had 10% battery life. It just varies wildly from person to person.

The last thing Apple needs is people being OCD, and exchanging perfectly good watches, only to receive one that does the same stuff lol :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My only gripe at this point is that you can't delete some of apple's preinstalled apps like stocks. There is also no really great way to organize all your apps. Not too big of a deal now that there aren't a lot but it will be an issue later on.

Yes, but that's a probably across iOS devices. It's time for Apple to let users delete non-essential apps, especially when there are 3rd party ones on the App store that are better.

As for organization this was also a problem w/ iOS before folders too. But folders on a watch I think would be awkward. Maybe allowing organization by pages instead of having all the apps clustered. I don't think the current clustering GUI is all that genius myself.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
I deal with the "cluster" by putting my most-used apps out on the edges of the cluster, where they are easier to hit accurately.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
I cancelled my pre-order (placed at 8:07 for delivery yesterday!) because I had the doubts you mention above.

Thinking of ordering again, but it'll be a June despatch!

You have kind of turned me off of the idea again, though.

Also, as there is constant information going from iPhone to Apple Watch, it must have quite an impact on the phone's battery life?

Have your feelings changed since yesterday?

I like the look of the watch, and I love tech, but in its present state I'm kind of thinking the watch is pretty much useless?

My feelings have changed a little, feeling more positive now, but I'd still struggle to recommend anyone spend £300+ on it.

One thing I have found is that I spend less time on my phone, which can't be a bad thing?

The battery is much better than expected, had 40% left yesterday after about 16 hours of use

Force touch - I can't get used to this tbh. I think I'm too used to long presses on the iPhone?
The screen not coming on when I look (but often does when I'm doing other tasks) is really beginning to get on my nerves though, and Im not sure I can move past that.

Last edited:

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
OP here, some updated thoughts:

Quite a few of my frequent operations have shifted, fairly organically, from the phone to the watch:

--Transport control for music playback (from phone or from watch, including spotify on phone). Still quite limited functionality, though.

--Controlling my Hue lights. I use this a lot. The Hue app is still buggy but it's still faster than finding the phone or tablet and pulling up the NC widgets on it.

--Deliveries app, Appigo To Do app

--Almost all texting

--Various daily timers (e.g., reminder to take garbage out)

Some things that are still head-scratchers:

--Stand nagging. No way to change the daily goal (12 hrs) for office workers, but it doesn't matter much because it doesn't seem to be very good at knowing when you are standing. It thinks I've been standing for five hours today. (EDIT: I've been corrected, see responses below.) I assure you I have not. That said, I like it as a fitness tracker so far and it got me into the gym twice this past weekend.

--Configuration over-engineering. (Config on watch vs config on Apple Watch app on phone vs config on Phone settings.)

Once I got over the learning-curve hump, there have been some pleasant surprises in overall functionality and realistic day-to-day utility. I suspect these will be very different for different people, but I definitely reach for the watch controls often now, and very organically so.

Edit: Another thing that I wasn't expecting was the way notifications are pushed to the watch even if the app in question doesn't have a watch-specific extension. For example, the Apple Store app on my phone pushed an order update to my Watch while I was typing this post, even though there is no Watch version/extension of the Apple Store app. This may have been a known/obvious thing to people paying more attention than I was, but I also tend not to rely on device notifications much since my phone is often out of reach. The watch will definitely change the way I interact with notifications in general.

Last edited:

NotSafeForWork

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
I'm looking at the watch from the other direction - if I returned it within my 14 day window what would I miss?

1) Next appointment on watch face
2) Remote control for music
3) Notifications
4) Siri on wrist to make reminders

Everything else I think I'd be fine doing on my iPhone like I did before.

Are these 4 items worth it for me? I think so - I'm also hoping a few other unique benefits appear over the next year or so.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
It just means standing at least one minute per hour out of 5 hours, though, right?

Does it!? That would certainly make more sense. Double-checking to see if it's obvious and I'm just dumb.

Edit: It just says "Stand: 5 of 12 hours" when viewed through the Activity app on the watch side. I'm not doubting you because what you say makes way more sense, it's just a little ambiguous as presented on the watch.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Some basic first impressions.

It just means standing at least one minute per hour out of 5 hours, though, right?

Not just standing still. Standing and moving. I get a point each hour of I've walked to the printer the other side of the office and back. The notification to stand does explain it.

Edit: Found this screenshot. When done, you get another notification confirming you've achieved it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430240502.523626.jpg

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Not just standing still. Standing and moving. I get a point each hour of I've walked to the printer the other side of the office and back. The notification to stand does explain it.

Ah. See, I don't think I've read the whole notification message. I just get the tap, see the words 'blah blah stand', then I yell at the watch YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME and I go walk around the office a bit.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine

Edit: Found this screenshot. When done, you get another notification confirming you've achieved it.

View attachment 546951

Right, but the point is that a lot of people seem to be mistakenly thinking that it means they were literally standing for X hours, which is not the case. Standing for 12 hours a day wouldn't be a very realistic goal.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Right, but the point is that a lot of people seem to be mistakenly thinking that it means they were literally standing for X hours, which is not the case. Standing for 12 hours a day wouldn't be a very realistic goal.

Only the people not actually reading the notifications, which seem to be a few on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.