Some concerns about Apple Bumper...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mloffa, Jul 31, 2010.

1. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

First, before I get a lot of hate comments, I love the bumper and I am very grateful that Apple is offering them for free.
    I am also grateful to have gotten mine already.
    BUT.

The bumper feels a little lose around the edges.
    For people who have had theirs since launch, has it been a problem?
    Like has it ever came off coming out of your pocket or something?
    Thinking about getting a Zagg IS (again) for the back and sides.
    Hopefully this will create a possible tighter fit?

Advice is appreciated.

2. stephendoc1984 macrumors member

I had one and it did feel a little loose. It also whether directly or little bits of debris getting inside scratched the whole metal part of the phone. I ended up taking it back to Apple for a refund as I was also having proximity problems and wasn't aware of a software fix when i returned it. So no I wasn't impressed with mine.

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I hate the bumper... was really looking forward to getting mine as i had been trying to find one ever since launch day.

I always use a case on my iphone, im just that way inclined, but the bumpers are really low quality IMHO....

Apple should have at least put some thought into a leather case as well as the bumper.

In fact you can tell that the bumper was an afterthought to partly solve the antenna problems.

I use a proporta leather case that is very good, not the best but will do until something better comes out.

4. chanerz macrumors 6502a

5. -MRB macrumors 6502

They fit alot better when you have full body protection. No movement at all on mine with a Phantom Skinz Matte back & sides:)

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I must say I'm satisfied with my bumper. It fits well, is not loose, does not scratch the metal band and basically does exactly what I expected it to do. I originally bought a grip vue case from Brlkin but ended up returning it because the buttons were very hard to press and the edges of he camera cutout distorted the flash. The buttons on the bumper work flawlessly. They work just like the actual phone buttons and there is no flash distortion whatsoever. Very impressed.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Go to bestbuy and they will offer you side shield for free. After that, you can get an idea of how it feels. I have my shield on the side and it feels okay. It did not improve the reception very much.

Btw, it is good that you are expressing your opinion, but I hate it when people complain about free stuff. I am not just referring to you directly, but other millions of unhappy iphone 4 people...

WHAT THE HELL YOU ALL WANT? Go return your god damn iphone 4 or live with it. Stop making useless threads.

8. hoffmant macrumors member

I got my (free) bumper yesterday and love it. I already had Phantom Skinz full body protection on it, and since I'd read a few people complain about the bumpers being somewhat loose and the possibility of scratching the steel, i left the skins on. With the skins on, the bumper is snug and solid.

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I tried the bumper on my first iP4, and didn't like how it fit, so I'm using a case on my new one.

10. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Grow up, child. Is it illegal for people have opinions or experiences that you disagree with now? Pathetic.

11. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

12. Loiterer macrumors member

So just because it's free you're not allowed to ask for input? Get over yourself.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed. I bought the Scosche BandEDGE and had been using that before I received my bumper. As much as I like that case, I've been using the Apple Bumper more since I got it.

The buttons are my favorite part.....

14. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Mine should come today. Hopefully it isn't a lose one that scratches the sides.

15. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

Been using my bumper for a couple of days now and will probably just file it soon.
    Can't use a dock with it and my in-car stereo cable doesn't fit either.
    I could trim it for the car but the dock is a pain.

Ah well, death grip isn't an issue for me anyway

16. gattamelata macrumors newbie

i like my phones naked. i bought cases for all my iphones, used them for a day or two, and went back to the phones natural state. i ordered a bumper when i ordered my phone. i'm not in love with it, but i still use it.

what i like about it is that it gives the phone something to sit on when it's on a a surface. without it i think the back would be way scratched up by now. the bumper is also pretty small, so it doesn't add a lot of bulk to the phone.

i don't like that i have to take the bumper off when i want to use an old wire to charge it. the bumper gets in the way of wiping it off too. and i do have a nagging worry about debris getting under the lip. the volume buttons feel cheap. the bumper is definitely not worth the 30 bucks they're charging.

whether apple refunded my money or not, i would still use the bumper just because it offers a little protection for the back. i haven't dropped my phone yet, but i don't expect the bumper to protect it if it hits a rock or something.

17. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

The bumper is great. My only gripe is the buttons on it are very loose (if you shake the phone, you can hear them move with the bumper on) and it's like a dust trap in here. What I mean by that is if theres any lint or dust on the screen, the bumpers rubbery edges will prevent it from wiping right off unless you swiffer-cling it off. Extremely annoying.

Other then that, my bumper will suit me until my Speck arrives. But the Bumper + PowerSupport Crystal are doing great together right now.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

I haven't experienced either of those problems. My Bumper is very tight-fitting. No rattling of buttons when I shake it, no dust collection problem.

Regarding your dust issue, perhaps your PS Crystal Film is a dust magnet.:confused:

19. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Maybe try to put it on again a different way? Mine that I got for free fits perfect with no wiggle and the phone is naked underneath. I'm starting to think it's the way people are putting these on as to why they "complain" about the fit. They were all made the same way in the same place so it should fit fine.

20. oChaos Nine macrumors newbie

Phantom skins carbon fiber on back and sides. No complaints here.

21. chanerz macrumors 6502a

bumper, sgp carbon back, and power support front = love it!!!

22. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Boil the bumper for a minute or so. It will fit perfectly after that.

23. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Thanks for all the input!
    And for everyone saying that's it's free, I mentioned that in the first sentence of my op. I am very gratef ul that Apple is offering these for free.
    I just wanted some advice on the fit.
    I am going to get a skim and hopefully it'll feel a little more snug and secure.

Thanks everyone!!

24. jfig24 macrumors newbie

Mine was a little lose around the edges too and I boiled it 3 separate times for 1 minute and now it fits perfectly and does not move at all. Doesn't offer much protection but it sure does look good on the phone.

25. glen e macrumors 68030

I am very happy with mine - even before they came free. I think they are worth the money and a good design to show off the back. I have dropped it with not a scratch, and mine fits perfect with no button or looseness problems. I run a white bumper on black phone with a SGP carbon fiber back. I get all sorts of comments on it, that it's a class looking combo.

Awaiting Apple to make a solid, deep red one.