Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today marks exactly two weeks since Apple released iOS 16 to the public. Besides the personalized Lock Screen, major changes in Messages, and new features in Maps, the update has also seen its fair share of bugs, performance problems, battery drain, and more.

General-iOS-16-Feature-Yellow.jpg

After major iOS updates, it's normal for some users to report having issues with the new update, but such reports usually subside in the days following the release. This year, things have been different, as iOS 16 has seen quite a few bugs being reported by users on an almost daily basis.

The initial version of iOS 16 was iOS 16.0 for all supported iPhones, while the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro had a day-one iOS 16.0.1 update available that addressed some problems for the latest iPhones. Last week, Apple released iOS 16.0.2, which addressed camera shaking on the iPhone 14 Pro, an annoying copy and paste prompt, and more. Despite the iOS 16.0.1 and iOS 16.0.2 updates, users continue to face several unaddressed bugs. Here are a few of them:

MacRumors has seen no sign of iOS 16.0.3 in our analytics, so it's unclear if Apple is planning another iOS 16 update before iOS 16.1 ships next month. Apple is currently testing iOS 16.1 with developers and public beta testers, but it won't see a launch until October, likely alongside iPadOS 16.1 and macOS Ventura. Apple Support has been advising customers who are facing issues to restart their iPhones, and in the worst-case scenario, do a restore, in hopes of addressing their problems.

Article Link: Some iOS 16 Users Continue to Face Unaddressed Bugs and Battery Drain Two Weeks After Launch

BriceApp

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC

gk_brown

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2020
I've run into a couple bugs with Messages and Music. Sometimes in Messages, the app simply stops responding. I have to terminate and restart it.

Yesterday, Music stopped outputting audio any time it moved to the next track in my playlist. I could see that the song was playing by the progress indicator, but no sound was coming out.

LeMo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2020
I have always found CarPlay to be a bit Capri, and not the Ford variety :)

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Battery drain is most likely related to the Facebook app that is doing who knows what in the background for hours upon hours. The background activity is happening on iOS 15 as well for that app, and they released an app update at the same time as iOS 16 was releasing.

The battery drain you refer to is actually your battery working out to improve its overall health.

russell_314

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If you have Facebook installed, that could be your problem. It will run in the background, even though you have that turned off.

If you want to know what using your battery just go to battery in settings, and it will tell you

xxray

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2013
Battery drain is most likely related to the Facebook app that is doing who knows what in the background for hours upon hours. The background activity is happening on iOS 15 as well for that app, and they released an app update at the same time as iOS 16 was releasing.

I haven't had the Facebook app (or a Facebook account) in years, and battery drain is happening on iOS 16 no matter how many features I turn off.

Palliser

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
USA
Biggest unaddressed bug for me is the inconsistency in volume controls from the iPhone “remote” to my Apple TV 4K. Sometimes pressing up and down on my iPhone while using the Remote works and sometimes not. It also no longer allows you the ability to control volume from the Lock Screen like it used to. Never had these issues till iOS 16. Edit: this is on my iPhone 13 but there is a thread talking about this same issue in MR Forums.

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

Discussion going on here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ry.2361937/page-2?post=31551653#post-31551653
I don’t have Facebook, and my battery has been dramatically worse on iOS 16. iPhone 12 mini.

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
My 12 pro max is definitely worse than my 13 pro max with 85% battery health. Although I see YouTube is a big battery hog these days.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I haven't had the Facebook app (or a Facebook account) in years, and battery drain is happening on iOS 16 no matter how many features I turn off.
I also do not and have not had FB installed but I was experiencing battery drain. Someone suggested disabling the Home Screen search feature and strangely that seems to have fixed it (or at least helped significantly… it is still too early to say if it is truly fixed).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.