Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone XR pre-orders kicked off at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time, and just a half hour after orders went live, some colors started selling out and became unavailable for launch day delivery in the United States.

Right now, some yellow and PRODUCT(RED) iPhone XR models from T-Mobile won't ship out for one to two weeks, delivering in November instead of on October 26. In the UK, iPhone XR supply is also starting to slowly sell out, with coral and yellow models starting to list a one to two week delivery estimate.

yellowxr-800x590.jpg

All other colors are still available for launch day delivery in the United States at this time, but available supply for in-store pickup has dwindled for some models in some areas.

iphonexrmodelssellingout-800x378.jpg

It's not clear if yellow is a popular color choice or if Apple made fewer yellow iPhone XR models, but with one color selling out, the others could soon follow.

Apple did not provide SIM-free models of the iPhone XR for pre-order in the United States, which typically means that supplies are not quite as strong as Apple would like. SIM-free models are, however, available in other countries around the world.

Curiously, Apple has also not provided iPhone XR cases for the new device, which is unusual as new iPhone releases are typically accompanied by matching cases. iPhone XR press releases in some countries mentioned that Apple would debut a clear case for the iPhone XR to show off the colors of the device, but no such case is available as of yet.

If you're planning to get an iPhone XR, it's best to place an order right away if you want launch day delivery, because it's not clear if and when available stock will sell out. Apple will, as always, have some devices available for walk-in purchases on October 26.

Article Link: Some iPhone XR Models Start Selling Out

Reactions: Ravi_MR

Virtua4

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Here in the UK 1hour and 8 minutes after preorders open and every colour and every size is available for delivery next week.
It’s the most available iPhone preorder ever - incredible.

I’ve never seen this before with iphone

timmyh

Contributing Editor
Mar 18, 2016
Edinburgh, UK
Here in the UK 1hour and 8 minutes after preorders open and every colour and every size is available for delivery next week.
It’s the most available iPhone preorder ever - incredible.

I’ve never seen this before with iphone

In the UK, Yellow and Coral have both slipped to 1-2 weeks dispatch for 64GB models.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Coral and Yellow seem to be the least favorit option in my country.

But every model is still available on launch day, except some 64GB ones.

But iPhone enthusiasts or people who just can't wait likely already ordered the XS (max)

Focusx0131

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
While it wasn’t SIM free, if you pay full price your phone will be unlocked when you receive it.

Got a Yellow 128GB XR with a T-Mobile SIM which I intend to take straight to Metro as you have to pay full price upfront anyway.

This was my First ever preorder and the entire process was as painless as could be.

12nine

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2018
In Germany only Coral and Red 64GB are not available on the 26th, everything else can be delivered on the 26th. No hype ...

Reactions: jpn

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I ordered a red 128 GB in Canada at 3:55 am, almost one hour after the store went live.

No issues with availability. Scheduled delivery is Oct. 26.

I just checked again and as of 4:20 am, all colours in all storage sizes are available for Oct. 26 delivery.

Reactions: Icaras and Broadus

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Germany, also Coral is slipping to Oct/Nov.
Coral and Red, but only the 64GB models and only for delivery. Everything is available for pickup in an Apple Store on day one. I guess the every year rumor of production problems was wrong this time.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Everything is still available in Australia on launch day.
[doublepost=1539937435][/doublepost]
Coral and Red, but only the 64GB models and only for delivery. Everything is available for pickup in an Apple Store on day one. I guess the every year production problems rumor was wrong.

Or demand isn't that great as there is a split between the Xs/Xs Max range and the Xr range?

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
While it wasn’t SIM free, if you pay full price your phone will be unlocked when you receive it.

Got a Yellow 128GB XR with a T-Mobile SIM which I intend to take straight to Metro as you have to pay full price upfront anyway.

This was my First ever preorder and the entire process was as painless as could be.

Requiring activation stops the black market business and slows initial sales which Apple doesn’t care about since we’re at the beginning of the quarter. Apple’s message: if you want to take a new iPhone to China, India or Brazil, buy the XS or XS Max!

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I recommend alot of people to buy the XR, people who don't need a X but I think will get just as much as a discounted price. I think this phone will do really well.

Reactions: Ravi_MR

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I hope by November 23, my iPhone Upgrade Programme date, they'll be nice and easy to get

I though the IUP allowed you to change the phone during the month you started it, I didn't know you had to wait for exactly 365 days. Are you sure you have to wait until the end of the month? We don't have the IUP here so I'm not an expert

In Italy all models except for the 64GB Black are still available for pick up next Friday, but it may change in a few hours.
I expect Xr to sell more than Xs and Max, I got my Xs the week after launch and I had no problems buying it in my local AS, but it may be different for the Xr.
I wonder if we'll see the usual queues outside the stores this time, but I guess the die hard fans got the Max last month so I'd expect fewer people in line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.