Some Mac App Store Apps 'Damaged' Due to Expired Security Certificate

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Spoddles macrumors newbie

Spoddles

2. arpi macrumors newbie

arpi

The only thing we can do now is wait with the broken apps and report the problem with your app to the iTunes Store (https://getsupport.apple.com/).

Also if you can, get the apps from the developers. I have a feeling this will happen soon again....

Not gonna buy more apps from the app store, i rather give 30% more to the developers, instead of Apple.

3. valvano macrumors newbie

Have signed out of app store and logged back in. have deleted and reinstalled Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 again. And yet the app still gets the broken error message. ......sigh......

4. FrateTAC macrumors newbie

"The secret of Monkey Island" same issue...but without any popup message! :confused:
    Just crash once opened.

5. Keerock macrumors regular

Sadly they are wasting their time and money on their HQ and their new Car.

I believe that just before the Roman empire collapsed they built a huge circular building. Then they built chariots to ride around in that building.

6. Casstiel macrumors member

From now on I'm going to only upgrade to the last version of each new major OS X release. So my next OS will be probably be something like OS X 10.12.5 in 2017.

7. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

You should be able to get your preferences/settings back by restoring the appropriate container from your backup. (~/Library/Containers.)

8. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

This happened to me yesterday with Movist an app from the app store. I was honestly really thinking my SSD was dying or something because it said the application was corrupt and wouldn't open even though I'd not erased any of its files and it's just a video player. Totally had me worried.

Reinstalling it from the App Store did make the error go away but it was worrying on a 5 month old computer to see a data corruption dialog box when launching a simple application that plays videos.

9. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the reply.

Snow Leopard and Little Snitch, RTW! :)

10. Alenore, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

Alenore macrumors 6502

Oh please. Half the time, when you call apple support, they tell you to restore your computer to a previous version or to reinstall OS X.

11. rlhamil, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

rlhamil macrumors regular

rlhamil

As far as I can tell from some brute force checks, every Mac App Store app last installed, updated, or re-installed before the certificate expired, has the old certificate. Apps with the OS (or non App Store apps) don't appear to have that file in their bundle.

If I'm reading this correctly, what might be the next certificate above this (the certificate of the issuer of the one that's expired) will expire on Feb 14 18:56:35 2016 GMT.

Do we know whether that might cause similar problems in a few months?

edit: the certificate replacing the expired one in more recently installed/re-installed/updated apps expires on Oct 23 19:09:31 2017 GMT.

12. rlhamil macrumors regular

rlhamil

Real troubleshooting is something very few people do well, let alone communicate well. I doubt there's any company or organization of any size where that info is consistently found quickly, and quickly converted into a non-drastic fix or workaround, and the help desk monkeys informed of what to tell the users.

13. grwilde macrumors newbie

Rebooting and resigning in to the Mac App Store solved many of my Mac App Store failure to open problems - but by no means all. 1Password and a number of others were fixed, but the following refuse to open with the "damaged and can't be opened" dialog displayed: Weathersnoop 3, WiFi Explorer, Disk Doctor, Screenium 3, and Just Press Record.

14. FishyFox macrumors newbie

I've been having the same issue since weds, I was worried it was just a problem with my application. I've reinstalled and relogged a hundred times and nothing is working. I'm truly desperate, I use Photoshop Elements 9 everyday for my animations without it I'm royally screwed. Good thing I learned my lesson and bought a Physical copy, awaiting delivery. Thanks a lot Apple.

Attached Files:

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Every New Mexican I know is a closet Cowboys fan... :cool:

16. Explorz macrumors regular

Same for me with Billings 3.7.8 However for me it doesn't even give me a corruption warning. It just bounces once in the dock and then does nothing.

17. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

I know Apple is really into planned obsolescence, but now they are evolving into FORCED obsolescence.

Tisk, Tisk, Tisk Apple

18. d656 macrumors member

Same problem here...

19. AgentElliot007 macrumors 6502

Labels & Addresses by Belight also not working. This is an ugly one for Apple...

20. Casstiel macrumors member

A new OS X version each year on schedule just for the sake of it despite the clear necessity for longer development and bug testing times is a dumb idea.

21. bjjp2 macrumors regular

I started a thread on forum about my sudden inability to open CoD 4 before I saw this thread.

22. rtc1085 macrumors newbie

rtc1085

Same for me. I have 5 years of business data here that I need to get access too ASAP. Contacted the company and they said it was Apple and unless I update to the new subscription service they could not fix the problem. Any luck on your end?

23. jdrouette macrumors newbie

Not yet. I keep rebooting and re-installing hoping that Billings will work, but no luck so far.

I suspected that sooner or later I would have to succumb to the Billings Pro subscription or find a replacement, but not without an OS upgrade to temper the pain. Fingers crossed that Apple will resolve this themselves.

24. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I just seen this for the first time a few minutes ago. I will restart my computer later today. Also I'm running 10.11.1

25. bjjp2 macrumors regular

This is a big problem to say the least. Any word from Apple?