Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

172144-ipad-2-backlight-bleeding_500.jpg

Engadget points out that some iPad 2 owners are experiencing excessive levels of light bleeding or leaking out around the edges of the screen, most notable when viewing a dark image/video. This is not the same issue as the Yellowing seen on some screens that may go away with time.

MacRumors' own discussion forum has a lengthy thread with more example photos from people who are affected. It's not clear if the issue is common to most iPads or if it's isolated to a subset of devices. The degree of bleeding appears to vary from unit to unit.

Article Link: Some Reports of Backlight Bleeding on iPad 2

kajoob

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
How is this a shock? The iPad 1's bleed light like crazy too. It's the same damn device.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
Manufacturing defects are going to appear in units of any electronics device, I don't think a big deal should be made over it. Just return the ones with the defect and get a new one, Apple will no doubt take care of it as it's in their interest to sell none faulty goods.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
That is unfortunate if it is happening to you, but just another example of why you should never buy anything during its first manufacturing run. That is the price you pay for being the one to say you were the first to get something.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
"Here we go" always reminds me of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland, having heard it six point two million times.

"Okay kids... Here we gooooo!"

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
My 27" iMac does this. My 37" HDTV does this. My 20" G5 iMac did it. In fact, every backlit LCD screen I've ever had has done it, to varying degrees. I just thought it was a common thing with backlit screens. It's only apparent to me when an image is dark along the edges, and that occurs very rarely. The only screens I've owned that seemed to be immune have been my two iPhones.

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL
Not a new defect, it does occur at times. Happened on my 3GS. I just received a replacement iPad for a faulty wifi issue, and when I took the replacement home I noticed a huge amount if light bleeding.

Apple is one of the best companies to deal with for service and support.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I expect this is only going to get worse next week as the shipments begin to arrive.

We have two yellowish iPads here, both bought yesterday together. Hopefully it fades away if not we can always get them replaced for a new ones in a few weeks when stock is available at the stores.

Apple has been having some buggy launches here lately, at least they are quick to replace the defective units.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
All Edge Lit LED/LCDs do this. Its one of the many reasons why Plasma TVs are better than LCD/LEDs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.