Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular grocery store chain Trader Joe's has installed new NFC-compatible VeriFone touchscreen checkout terminals in some of its stores, allowing for contactless payments. First noticed by AppleInsider, some of these stores with the new payment terminals are accepting Apple Pay, which works at any location that allows for contactless payments.

traderjoesapplepay.jpg
Image via AppleInsider​
MacRumors has verified that Apple Pay works in some Trader Joe's stores. In the Raleigh, North Carolina area, we were able to make a purchase at Trader Joe's with the Apple Watch using Apple Pay.

Not all Trader Joe's stores have the new payment terminals at this time, and not all stores with the new terminals are accepting Apple Pay via NFC. The Apple Pay logo is present on the checkout terminal, however, suggesting Trader Joe's is perhaps considering becoming an official Apple Pay partner.

Trader Joe's is known for its high-quality low-priced products, and it has more than 400 locations across the United States. If Trader Joe's becomes an official Apple Pay partner, it will join other grocery store chains like Whole Foods, Dick's Fresh Market, Winn-Dixie, Bi-Lo, Food Maxx, Lucky, Meijer, Sprouts, and more.

Article Link: Some Trader Joe's Stores Accepting Contactless Payments, Including Apple Pay

macsplusmacs

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2014
Wait. Wait. Wait.

You mean I don't even have to pull out my wallet for some Two-Buck Chuck?

We live in wondrous times.

create

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
The one in Lafayette, CA accepted Apple pay when the first rolled out the new terminals a few months ago but it only lasted 3 or 4 weeks and then they disabled it.
I wrote customer service to ask why they turned it off and they said:
"... we are pilot testing in Cupertino, CA and Glendale, AZ. The test includes Apple Pay, Google Wallet and tap and pay credit cards. Our intent is to have this in all stores by the end of the year. "

charliex5

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Seattle, WA
Trader Joe's is known for its high-quality low-priced products...

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say this about Trader Joe's. Mediocre at decent prices has always been my experience. I have one 2 blocks from my apartment and shop there MAYBE once a month. Garbage produce and bland processed foods.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
That is a good price for arugula!!

If I didn't check out macrumors, I never would have known!

Nice!!

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
So, wonder when Aldi will follow...

... because Trader Joe's is the "other Aldi" since "Aldi Sued" is the one with the "Aldi" license in the U.S. and "Aldi Nord" uses Trader Joe's as their brand in the U.S. - but in general, they follow similar strategies.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
It's great more stores are adding Apple Pay but who actually shops at Trader Joe's ?

Well, why would you not?

All native Germans would because around Christmas, that's where you get original German Christmas cookies and other treats. Besides, it is usually cheaper than Walmart. Same for Aldi USA.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I love Trader Joes! Between that and Wegmans I live in grocery store heaven!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
... because Trader Joe's is the "other Aldi" since "Aldi Sued" is the one with the "Aldi" license in the U.S. and "Aldi Nord" uses Trader Joe's as their brand in the U.S. - but in general, they follow similar strategies.

Just saying... It's "Aldi Süd" which is German for "South" (Aldi Nord = North), and not some particularly litiguous company :)

ackmondual

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Still not comfy on the contactless payment train. We'll see if we change in another 6 years though. Biggest "issue" for me with Apple Pay (iPay?) is I have no intention of getting an iPhone. Still quite content with my Ipod Touch (although in 6 more years or so, we'll see, again).

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say this about Trader Joe's. Mediocre at decent prices has always been my experience. I have one 2 blocks from my apartment and shop there MAYBE once a month. Garbage produce and bland processed foods.
Really? They've got quite a cult following (not unlike the Apple crowd in some ways). I've enjoyed them while I could (no longer live near one). I went there around once every 1 to 2 weeks myself. Some of there stuff is unique, tasty, and/or cheap. However, I wouldn't buy it just because it had the TJ label. Other items weren't that great, and could be had for cheaper elsewhere.

Moving around, I've been able to find suitable replacements for them, like Aldi's, and to a lesser extent, Big Lots.

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
Apple Pay reminds me of the rollout of Passbook in that it was a relatively small start but around a year and half after it launched it started to become more prominent and part of the status quo

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Still not comfy on the contactless payment train. We'll see if we change in another 6 years though. Biggest "issue" for me with Apple Pay (iPay?) is I have no intention of getting an iPhone. Still quite content with my Ipod Touch (although in 6 more years or so, we'll see, again).

Really? They've got quite a cult following (not unlike the Apple crowd in some ways). I've enjoyed them while I could (no longer live near one). I went there around once every 1 to 2 weeks myself. Some of there stuff is unique, tasty, and/or cheap. However, I wouldn't buy it just because it had the TJ label. Other items weren't that great, and could be had for cheaper elsewhere.

Moving around, I've been able to find suitable replacements for them, like Aldi's, and to a lesser extent, Big Lots.

Well, it works with other systems, you know. Look at the screen. I'd always gotten a thing or two at TJ's, but it really clicked around the early 2000s, when the grocery stores in LA all decided to bust the unions and take away medical insurance. All but one chain, and then there was TJ. They had unions and no intention of joining the cabal of employers. They added lots to their normal stock, and suddenly I was getting half my stuff there. Big supermarket or TJ: which is the cult?

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Just saying... It's "Aldi Süd" which is German for "South" (Aldi Nord = North), and not some particularly litiguous company :)

So, you are telling a German how to spell German... Interesting. However, I was lazy, didn't want to look up the ASCII code for the Umlaut and just used the German rule of using the "e" behind the "u." Nothing wrong with that.

Edit: I could even go that far and say it's philosophical: Even Goethe changed his name from Göthe (early spelling, before he studied).

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
i love trader joes for certain things.... i usually rotate between sprouts, whole foods, trader joes and costco for all my food. I never eat out(once or twice a month).
the ones in arizona have had apple pay for over a month now

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I tried Pay at my Home Depot self-checkout today and it didn't work. An employee said it works at some registers but not the self-check ones. Hope they sort that all out like a recent article said...

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Honestly don't see why pulling out a $600 smartphone to pay is any easier than pulling out a plastic credit card. One thing's for sure - the credit card will suffer less potential damage if it's accidentally dropped in the process.

...adding, glad to see TJ's also accepts Google Wallet and isn't exclusively Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.