Some Users Report Adobe Premiere Pro Issue Causing Blown Out MacBook Pro Speakers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

Apparently, this issue affects MacBooks which have T2 chip (OMG - Suriji) in it and earlier Mac Books do not have this issue. I am not sure if this is the case.....this can potentially lead to dissatisfaction since replacing them with $600 service call will not solve the issue.

2. LordVic macrumors 601

The way I see it:

if the speakers are designed right and operating within normal operating perameters, but Adobe has a bug that sends out of parameter signal. Adobe is responsible.

if the speakers have a design flaw that fries themselves on something that is considered in paameter. it's Apple's responsibility

but we all know how this will wind up. The consumer fits the bill.

3. AndyMacAndMic, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

AndyMacAndMic macrumors 6502

AndyMacAndMic

Apple provides the API (application programmers interface) to interface with the OS. There is also a 'sound API'. This API provides functions to play sound through the OS on the device.

Simplified: The sound api provides functions for volume, play, pause etc. If Adobe has a bug in it's program it could be that some sound signal is sent through the api on maximum volume. Apple should design the interface (api) and the hardware in such a way that no speakers can be blown out if the api is used. Even if the bug in Adobe software would try to send a much higher volume through the API then allowed, the API should not accept that signal if it is not within parameters.

If it is possible to damage hardware through the provided API's there is something wrong with the API's or the hardware. There is no way that software can break hardware under normal circumstances unless (as already said) there is something wrong with the interface (API) or the hardware.

So, in my humble opinion, you see it wrong ;)

4. LordVic macrumors 601

I will accept that as a possibility (knowing alreay about API's and the like.)

Still drinking my coffee this morning Afternoon.

So now we move on to the next question. what exactly is happening here. After reading more of the thread, many reports of identical issues from people who are NOT using adobe.

this definitely ties back to it being an Apple design issue if it's also reportedly happening outside of Adobe software.

The more I look back on my decision to purchase a different laptop this year, the more I feel relieved.

5. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

6. ericwn macrumors 68020

A new low sounds a bit over the top in the face of FaceTime security issues that just happened. Also, when combining software a and hardware component b and that results in a hardware damage it seems weird to determine that the hardware self destructs. It’s the combination of the two that causes the issue. Still, bad enough. Software should not be capable of destroying hardware components.

7. ericwn macrumors 68020

Not sure why you need that tone towards Apple staff. I have had a lot of good experiences in Apple stores.