Some Users With Older Copies of iLife and iWork Having Difficulties Upgrading to New Versions [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. deecasey macrumors member

And there lies the problem Gary, as MacRumors has an article reporting 'Apple Offering 'Free' Updates to All Owners of Aperture, iWork, and iLife', not just iLife '11 and/or iWork '09 onwards. Im not even sure is there an official statement from Apple listing versions needed?

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/24...-and-ilife-not-worried-about-unethical-users/

The confusion of this free update is very un-Apple. Why don't they just change all Apps in question to free on the MAS like they have with GarageBand!!

2. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I have a iWork '09 and iLife '11 (except iPhoto which is still '09). Will I get iPhoto '13 or whatever this version is or no?

3. gordonmaps macrumors newbie

Apple Store reps aren't readily acknowledging this

I contacted the store on Wednesday and asked about whether my free copy on iOS 7 (based on an iPhone 5S purchase) would qualify me for a free version on my 6-month-old Mac. "No" was the answer. What about my iWork '06 version? "No" again.

So I forked over $60 for the three apps.

The next day I heard about these free upgrades. Three phone calls to Apple Sales resulted in "No" based on '06 being an ineligible version for upgrades. Apparently '09 is as far back as Sales will acknowledge as eligible.

Anybody succeed in getting '06 upgraded free of charge?

4. garylapointe macrumors 68000

garylapointe

WOW, I saw that but I didn't realize it said ALL versions (although, it'd be nice to see this in a document from Apple).

And the linked MacTrast article links to all the Apps for download from Apple(!!!), so pretty much if someone wants them free, they're available (at least they look like full versions).

But I guess they still have to support the people who can't run Mavericks so they can't take all that down (yet).

Someone probably ran the numbers and decided how much it cost to keep updating the older apps with the old updater and since they want everyone running new everything, lets just get it in their hands. They're giving them away from free from now on (with new machines) so why not now? If it keeps someone with Apple let them have the apps, they're going to get them for free with their next Mac anyways.

I think they really want the masses using iWork on the Mac AND on their iDevice. Get people using it before the next version of MS Office for Mac comes out. And if people like iWork enough on their iPad (since there is no Office) maybe that will make them make Mac their next computer...

With that logic, Aperture is really the only one they can lose some real money on. Although, I'm pretty sure Aperture needs a serial number just to install the demo (I think you had to register and they e-mailed you a temp serial back in the day, or at least with an earlier version they did), but I'm sure someone can/will extract the package or find a serial number on-line.

Interesting....

Gary

5. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Seems like illegitimate copies update no problem as well... ;)

6. C42D macrumors newbie

new Keynote is horrible

Subject says it all. It's a joke and a slap in the face for Pro users. Check out the star ratings for the new Keynote, Numbers and Pages in the app store. 2 out of the 3 have more 1 star ratings than 5 star ratings.

pathetic. I am going back to PPT!!!

7. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I've just (painlessly) updated to the new iWork.

Never used them before but I will now be using it with my iPad.

Excel will probably still be used more, but free is always good.