Some Users With Older Copies of iLife and iWork Having Difficulties Upgrading to New Versions [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tjwaido macrumors member

The iWork updates are terrible. Apple has distorted my workflow by taking away features and moving items around. This is not a simplified iWork, it is a software rewrite that is not very good. Apple software engineers should stop catering to the iPad user. They should not take iOS software and try to make it a desktop software. Stick with iWork 09 till Apple get a clue! This is similar to the FCPX rollout from FCP7. :mad:

2. lgochoa macrumors newbie

lgochoa

Solution for me

Change system language from Spanish to English .
    And Updates Are now in the Store.
    Thanks

3. edwardsson macrumors newbie

This made my day. :) Changed from Swedish to English and all the updates were available on my MBPr. Thanks!

4. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

That post is priceless and saved me from a huge headache. I tried every method possible (logging out and logging in, going everywhere in the app store to sign in, creating new users, re-download iWork from dubious sources, applying updates manually, remove old version completely etc. etc.) and couldn't make it work. After changing the system language to English and boom! The App Store instantly showed the 3 updates. :):):)

So my little advice is:

1) Don't wait for a few days as mentioned by earlier posts
    2) Don't sign out and sign in for numerous times
    3) Don't create a new user
    4) Don't completely remove your iWork '09 and dig into Library to remove every reference
    5) Don't re-install iWork '09
    6) Don't download a new iWork from torrent sites
    7) and most importantly, DON'T BUY AGAIN FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY BOUGHT!

The OP or moderators should highlight this solution on the front page.

5. Xytal macrumors regular

Would love to know this too.

6. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

my iWork files were as the original articles mentioned from serial numbers and haven't received updates for a while.

yesterday the updates were available. which to me suggests that Apple reduced the security at the Mac App store a bit.
    I never had the iWork package as my previously purchases, since i bought it IRL and had a different Apple ID back then.

now they seem to be recogniced, which is nice.

7. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

For some reason there is the new GarageBand and the older version GarageBand 6.05 both in the AppStore. I have deleted the latter App from my system and then hidden it so that I don't download it again

Attached Files:

8. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

YES. You ARE eligible.

My '09 stuff became updated. The regular way. Updates offered to user/ waiting for becoming installed by user.

----------

Everything okay. Just wait for the updates to show up. This way it worked for my '09 stuff, which was installed by DVD and not even registered.

9. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I only have the 6.0.5 in the purchased section :(

10. Xytal macrumors regular

I have a mid 2009 MacBook Pro, so out of curiosity, is that from your Mac Applications install disk or an actual iLife install disk? I'll admit, I just now reinstalled it from my 10.5 applications disk (lost it when I did a clean install of 10.7/10.8, can't remember which time, to be honest).

I'll leave my Mac off all night and check in the morning. 10.9 was acting weird last night until I did that.

I'm hopeful, since yours seemed to work, and if it doesn't, I'll understand and have to wait to pick up the new ones later.

11. rikibo macrumors newbie

i changed the sistem language from Italian to English. Right solution, now i can upgrade my iwork09 dvd.

12. Samimac macrumors newbie

Only trick that worked for getting iwork (DVD-version) to update was changing my os x language from Finnish to English. :apple:

New user account trick didn't work or signing out and in to MAS didn't work.

13. fabulfab macrumors newbie

Change system language

I can confirm! All the other hints out there did not work. Switching the system langugage from German to English did the job!

14. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Reinstalled iWork 09 via the dmg I made of the original DVD, signed in and out of the App Store and now the new iWork versions are downloading the updates - yippee.

Cheers Apple :cool:

15. tvamvarg, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

tvamvarg macrumors newbie

All of you who had to do stuff to get updates to your iWork '09 from DVD, did you also buy an iDevice lately which qualifies you for iWork, or is it just the iWork DVD that you have?
    I tried all the stuff (changing language, add user, reinstall) here but get no update to my iWork '09. That's why I'm asking.
    Thanks.

Update: after upgrading to Mavericks, and then doing the account switch, it worked. Good luck all.

16. oacory macrumors regular

Does this work for iWorks also? I tried this and iWorks did not update for me. I already had iLife updated in my admin account.

17. till213 Suspended

I think the Update process in MAS is broken in general: every then and when I read about a new OS update in the news, and when I check on my iMac with my standard user there is nothing, nada, niente - at times! At other times the updates just appear fine.

However in case they do not show up I then switch to my "administrator" account (having administrator privileges) and do the same check: et voilá, the updates appear!

So far I thought I had to do that at some point in time Apple did not notifiy "non-administrator" accounts anymore, but this is definitively not the case, because - as I said - I do get updates in the MAS with the normal account from time to time...

Something is genuinely broken there, and still seems to be the case in Mavericks... :(

18. TAKeanice, Oct 24, 2013

TAKeanice macrumors newbie

Another fix

Reading the mac app store feedbacks (in the German store), I found one that gave me the final hint:
    changing my system language to English and restarting got me where I wanted to be, with all apps (iWork and iLife) as updates.

ok. Not a new idea though...

19. oacory macrumors regular

The way I got around this was to install the 30 day trial for iWorks09 and then when i launched the applications, they all prompted me to update via MAS which they did. All are fully functioning.

20. vinpages macrumors newbie

it worked for ilife, but for iWork, only Keynote was recognized, not Pages not Numbers…
    Weird, no? :confused:
    Even creating a new user account didn't do the trick. Still can't update Pages or Numbers...

21. tmoney468 macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any luck for iWork or iLife updating for me. I even tried installing the trial and then seeing if the App Store would "see" it, but no dice. Stuck on OSX Lion here, maybe that's why?

22. mvreisjr, Oct 24, 2013

mvreisjr macrumors newbie

Yes, you have to update to Mavericks. It's worth only because of the compressed memory. (EDIT: Of course there are more things worth it, but the compressed memory will extend your RAM lifespan for a few months, at least.)

--------

So, a few updates:

I reinstalled iWork from the DVD, but I couldn't register it. That's because Apple has exterminated (Dalek pun intended) the registration page from existence. Also, I had to update to iWork 9.3, or else I couldn't even open the apps.

Then, I went to the App Store. Nothing. So, I logged off the App Store. Do this, guys. Seriously.

After all this, and if your OS X is in another language than English, go to System Preferences, click on the UN flag, and drag English to the top of the preferred languages.

Of course, now you have to restart. Even if you didn't had to change the language.

Now, after all of this, open the App Store. With a little bit of luck (at least I felt I was lucky), you might be able to see all of the updates available. And that includes iMovie and iPhoto. GarageBand is not included because it's already a free update (or new app).

The App Store will try to install, reinstall and deny the updates. That happened to me. But they will show up in the updates section. And the App Store will keep asking you for your ID credentials. Suggestion: Try to update a single app at a time.

OK, so I got the updates. Nevertheless, I'm classifying this as a fail by Apple.
    • First, because this should have been done years ago, back when the Mac App Store opened. The software was properly registered with Apple when I installed it. They have it on the record. And now, with all of this mess, the whole thing got complicated.

• Secondly, Apple should have made it clear, from the start, to both customers and AppleCare employees, that we (the DVD-buyers) had the right to an update.

• Third: English, Apple? Really? English? Are all other languages inferior? Really?

23. garylapointe macrumors 68000

garylapointe

But how did you buy it? I think the problem is mostly people who didn't buy from the Mac App Store that are having problems; people who purchased via DVD or downloaded a trial and purchased a license later.

There also seemed to be an issue with people who didn't have the language set to English (but I think these were people who did purchase from Mac App Store) but this got resolved by people temporarily setting their language to English.

Gary

24. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

Applications install disc. The apps became updated like the iWork apps: Update simply offered to me - downloaded by me.
    (By the way: My system's language is English.)

----------

New OS and completely rewritten apps for free. But this is not good enough for you.
    What do you want more? A new device for free? Most likely free delivery by a playmate would be a must?

25. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

You need to install Mavericks to get the apps.