SON OF A GUN! After 4 days of awaiting activation, I cracked my screen in 4 hours..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrackerJackToy, Sep 23, 2014.

1. CrackerJackToy, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

SON OF A GUN.

IM LIVID.

Ok heres what happened.

I went to Orange Leaf (a frozen yogurt place) with a friend of mine. As we are sitting outside eating froyo, we both hear a *SLAM*! I look down and see my brand new iPhone 6 Plus sitting on the ground, face first.

I don't even move to retrieve it. I just stare at. I just let it sit there for 30 seconds because I didn't want to pick it up and see any damage. After 4 days of waiting for Apple to activate it (see my other thread, 'AT&T can't verify my identity'), my luck keeps getting worse & worse.

Finally, I reach down to retrieve my phone. Sure enough, its cracked...and in two different places. Both cracks are right on the bezel on the left hand side, and the very top. Fortunately, no cracks reach the main viewing screen.

After owning 8 iPhones, i've never cracked a screen. Ive had these phones fall 6 feet up in the air while doing hanging ab raises in the gym, and NEVER cracked one, much less, 1.5 feet from a chair!

Im livid. Im pissed. I want to break it in half. But....I did go buy a case for it immediately afterwards. Any idea what the screen will cost to have it replaced? I am extremely anal and a perfectionist and can't stand looking at these imperfections.

Thanks.

2. kchengg macrumors newbie

This will be a good story to tell later on in life.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And you feel that cursing will make me empathize with your situation?

4. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

5. Enzo316 macrumors newbie

That sucks. Aslong as it isn't in the viewable part of the screen I think it's not the end of the world. I've had it happen on previous phones and not bothered fixing it. Now the smashed screens? Fixed ASAP lol

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Putting a case on it after it's hit the floor and cracked is like me stretching a condom over my 4yr olds head. What's done is done at this point.

7. uchosen macrumors 6502

You do realize your post will get deleted and you'll get a warning, right?

8. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

9. CrackerJackToy thread starter macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

Sorry about the curse word. I revised my original post. Didn't realize I broke the rules here!

10. techspin macrumors 6502a

I'd either replace it asap or just use it naked if the damage isn't obvious. I went to orange leaf a couple of months ago and they ran out of the orange flavor. Knew that place was bad news.

11. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

I will never underatand why people feel the meed to go buy a case rigjt AFTER they break their phone... Whats the point? Its broken already anyways...

12. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Take it to an Apple store and... plead... beg...cry...bribe... no seriously, you may be surprised ..except don't cry or bribe :p

It's damaged anyway, so worth a shot IMO :)

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've read (mostly here) that a screen is about $110 for the 6 and $140 for the plus. Some were reporting that since they don't have screens in yet, they will just give you a "refurb" for that price. Basically you pay the price for a new screen and get an entirely new phone.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How exactly did this happen? It just slipped out of your pocket or what?

Did you by any chance purchase it using an Amex card or equivalent with 90-day accidental damage coverage?

15. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I'm just shocked you've owned eight iPhones. 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6?

But honestly, sorry about the incident.

16. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Sometimes it's just plain bad luck. My uncle cracked his iPhone 4 screen the very first time he dropped it from his car seat onto the road. On the other hand I've dropped my iPhone 4 over 40 times and there's still no damage to the screen.

17. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

Heh, same here I guess...owned every iPhone that's ever come out...and on release day at that! :p

Sorry to hear OP, see if they will have some sympathy for you and replace it for free. :)

18. nyyankees325 macrumors newbie

how does applecare+ work if you crack your screen ? is it the 50 or 70 you have to pay ?

19. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

IIRC it's $50 and you're allowed 2 incidents.

20. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

$79. So it's more expensive than paying the $139 (since you have to buy it for $99 up front) but then if it happens again it would only be $79 more. Not much of a deal though since 2 screen replacements would be $139 + $139 = $278 vs Apple Care 2 screen replacements would be $99 + $79 + $79 = $257.

21. shaunmed macrumors regular

bad luck and weak design i say. i havent heard of anyone saying i dropped my 6+ and nothing happened.

i literally had 2 cars drive over my 5 and the screen didnt crack. im telling ya this 6+ is screwy. that said, im still getting one! yahoo!

22. nyyankees325 macrumors newbie

yea thanks for summing it up i was thinking about getting apple care it seems kinda worthless considering they upped it to 79 though. idk if i should get it or not. i would have figured the glass replacement done in store would be cheaper not the total 79 like getting the phone swapped out.

23. shaunmed macrumors regular

p.s. this is the greatest thing i've ever heard, just have to say.

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Well the $79 is for any kind of damage. You could bring it in with the entire screen cracked everywhere, water gushing out of it and scuffs/scratches/dents/bent to hell and it'd still be $79.