Sony Takes on iPhone's Growing Mobile Gaming Popularity in New Ad

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Ars Technica highlights a new television commercial for the Sony PSP in which a character mocks the mobile gaming experience on a smartphone that looks suspiciously like an iPhone. In addition to claiming a superior experience on the PSP, Sony also touts $9.99 pricing for some of its older games, closer to the App Store typical high-end gaming price point than that of traditional PSP games.
It's interesting: the PSP is basically setting itself up as an alternative to iPhone games, which is the opposite of how that argument usually plays out. Sony is also promoting inexpensive, older games as a reason to enjoy the PSP instead of looking ahead to big-name upcoming titles.
As the report notes, sagging PSP sales appear to have led Sony to take on the Apple's App Store as a source for gaming on the go. But the strategy carries some significant risk of bringing the iPhone even further into the mainstream gaming world.

The traditional gaming hardware companies have increasingly been looking to Apple as a viable competitor, with Sony planning a new lineup of mobile gaming devices and Nintendo similarly viewing Apple as the "enemy of the future".

Article Link: Sony Takes on iPhone's Growing Mobile Gaming Popularity in New Ad

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, then I have to buy and carry around another piece of hardware, plus all the games are 20 to 30 times too expensive.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
It's a cute ad, but just shows that Sony is frightened.

The hardware in the iPhone 4 can out power the PSP, no bones about it.

Not to mention the "$9.99 sucker" tag line. There are many high quality games for the iPhone available for $4.99, $2.99, etc.

Not to mention convergence. It might be fun for a kid with a backpack to carry a separate media player, game playing device, phone, pager, sketchbook, etc, but "big boys" only want to carry one mobile with them.

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I am 15, and I have a PSP. Ever since I got my iPhone 4, I haven't touched my PSP and it's still sitting somewhere on my desk. The truth is, I don't like the marketplace they have, and the graphics aren't as nice. If you want to spend hours and hours on a game, then I would choose Xbox 360, that is my alternative to PSP. But when i'm out with friends, in the car, I can pull up a quick game of solitaire.

hardcoreericxxx

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
This is great news for current PSP owners also. Hopefully it'll encourage more online players for older games.
Also, the $9.99 price tag is for Sony's PSN, all the $10 games that are available can be found at many used games stores or Craigslist for $5.

OldGit

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Buy some content Apple!! You need to compete here. Content is king (as they say). You can't just rely on bedroom gaming companies, you need some high end polish to compete.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Maybe Sony should come out with a new device and stop wasting their dollars fighting a losing battle. The iPod touch is a much better gaming platform than the PSP. I have not touched my PSP since I got my iPhone (until about 6 months ago when I boxed it up for ebay).

The PSP Phone with Android 3 they are "working on" seems interesting, but I am still not sure they get it.

wlessard

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
iPod Touch, not iPhone

Where in the ad does it say iPhone? From what I could tell it was simply a comparison of iPod Touch vs. PSP.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I've seen this run on TV a few times already. It is kind of funny how desperate it makes Sony out to be. $9.99 for some titles, showing older games, etc... but what gets me the most is how the kid whips out a cell phone to then call the guy up. I would LOVE if Apple made an ad to make fun of them, where someone on their iPhone "fast app switches" to the phone to call, then goes straight back into the game they were playing. Nice try, Sony.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Good commercial, though the kid's kind of obnoxious.

Interestingly, the commercial dismissing Apple's product is actually a validation of Sony being actually worried.

That said, for all the hype, I'm not really impressed with iPhone gaming at all. The graphics are there, and the casual games are there, and the innovative casual games are there, but I don't see any innovative meaty games. Most games following 'standard' genres for the iPhone (FPS, RTS, racing, adventure) are often very obviously just attempting to emulate other games- just look at Nova (which is essentially a Halo clone, without the fantastic multiplayer and very uninspired level design).

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
you text your grandma? I would if she was alive and knew what a cell phone was. :(

iMAVERICKam

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
Texas
lame ad.

Sorry Sony, I'm not paying $200+ to carry around another device that only does one thing, with games that cost 2-5x more, and carries a monthly subscription fee just slightly less than my full-featured iPhone's data plan.

MarkMc

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2001
Where in the ad does it say iPhone? From what I could tell it was simply a comparison of iPod Touch vs. PSP.
I think the part where he answered the phone call was a dead giveaway it was a phone, and not an iPod.

As soon as Sony release a PSP with Dual analogue sticks then we should see a reverse in mobile gaming. iP4 is an ok platform but its mainly a little bit of fun on the go. Aint really a lot of great games on there. I like FPS and there isnt a single good game on the 4 thats worth buying.

There is no denying that the iP4 is a better gaming platform at the moment but the whole App store is 99% FOS as opposed to anything great.

EnigMoiD

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
Ironically, this is exactly what Apple needs, and I think it's really going backfire on Sony. A mainstream gaming company taking on a portable only to talk about how it's for little kids is going to turn some heads. Apple doesn't even have to step up their game, but they will, and the ad is just begging for an Apple response (though I bet it won't get one).

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Remember the Sony Walkman?

iPod killed the Walkman. iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone are poised to kill the PSP.

What Nintendo says: Apple is the "enemy of the future."

What Nintendo means: Apple is the "enemy of the future" after Sony is gone.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
What is really the future of PSP? Why would anyone want a single-purpose device, unless it can be significantly better in what it does than a multi-purpose device? From my perspective the gaming on the iPhone is more fun, due to its touchscreen interface. I wish Sony good luck, but I'm not sure how much life the PSP platform has left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.