Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I see it. More like a ding instead of a bend.

Yeah, now that you mention it, from the picture it looks like the aluminum piece that connects to the glass is missing a small piece, and that makes it look like a bend.

OP: Is the bottom plate of the phone actually bent at all?

Aaron.H.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Germany
Yeah, now that you mention it, from the picture it looks like the aluminum piece that connects to the glass is missing a small piece, and that makes it look like a bend.

OP: Is the bottom plate of the phone actually bent at all?

It does seem like it is, a bit at least. It wobbles very very slightly on a flat table when on it's back.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Its not bent its dented. I was able to draw a straight white line along the silver edge.

0MpnSHE.jpg

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
It does seem like it is, a bit at least. It wobbles very very slightly on a flat table when on it's back.

That might just be the camera. If you have something small and completely flat that you could sit on the back you could test to see if that wobbles.

If the back isn't bent, then this might just be a simple case of a manufacturing defect in the aluminum casing that probably should have been caught by QC.

Aaron.H.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Germany
That might just be the camera. If you have something small and completely flat that you could sit on the back you could test to see if that wobbles.

If the back isn't bent, then this might just be a simple case of a manufacturing defect in the aluminum casing that probably should have been caught by QC.

I think I'd be able to lay the phone on a table so the camera doesn't interfere with the wobble... ;)

The wobbling is extremely minimal, I still think it might be a manufacturing defect, as you said.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I think I'd be able to lay the phone on a table so the camera doesn't interfere with the wobble... ;)

The wobbling is extremely minimal, I still think it might be a manufacturing defect, as you said.

Haha, indeed, going point.

Aaron.H.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Germany
Thanks for the opinions for now. If anyone is interested I can update the thread when I talked to AppleCare.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Well a slight bend is completely unacceptable if it is happening on it's own because of a manufacturing issue.

Every year there seems to be some fatal flaw with the iPhones that affects people, and everyone who doesnt have these issues blow them off as if they arent a big deal.

Sorry, but if someone is buying a device that can cost upwards of 1000 dollars, it should be perfect.

LOL seriously??

There is no consumer product that is even half as complicated as an iPhone that is "perfect", even if it costs 5X as much.

Minor cosmetic issues are almost NORMAL for other manufacturers, even ones that cost money (since everyone assumes Apple is the only one that does, and therefore they have to produce "perfection" for people to be happy).

I can find a flaw with your phone. Give me a bright light and a magnifying glass and it's easy. It aint "perfect".

And a magnifying glass (or digital level lol) is what it would take to notice this.

So where is the line? (Almost) No one (I give the OCD crowd credit) would have noticed this "defect" a couple weeks ago. Now that everyone and their mother is trying desperately to find "bends", they find ever so slight ones like this and here we are.

If it bothers you OP, return it. I too agree it looks like there was other damage to the phone, but it doesn't really matter. Keep in mind that this is an "issue" that is likely to keep happening based on the way you treat your phone. Once outside of the 14 day return window, you won't get much help, so consider other options if that bugs you that much (I hear fat people can sit on Samsung phones... they are quite proud of it evidently).

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
How is that being immoral? If apple doesn't regard it as an issue worthy of replacement surely they don't regard it as a defect or an issue? You are merely returning a functioning phone then no?

I've read a couple people on here already that apple refused to replace their bent phones and told them to get apple care and pay 180 dollars for a refurb. I wouldn't chance that.

You just answered your own question.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

OP let us know what sort of response you get from the Apple geniuses
also, do you have apple care +?
I'm hoping #bendgate removes bending from counting against the $49 return provision

Aaron.H.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Germany
Yes update the thread, I'm curious what they say and if they replace it. Are you going to mention that it's bent?

I will, I'll probably send them the picture posted here. If it's bent or just a factory defect, I think both are not acceptable, I'd like for it to be exchanged. But that's just my opinion...

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
What you guys think?

Newly registered member from Germany where incidentally computer bild are based, coincidence?

Aaron.H.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Germany
OP let us know what sort of response you get from the Apple geniuses
also, do you have apple care +?
I'm hoping #bendgate removes bending from counting against the $49 return provision

Nope. Do not have it jet because i I ordered it from a carrier and not Apple directly. But I will get it in the next few days.

Aaron.H.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Germany
What you guys think?

Newly registered member from Germany where incidentally computer bild are based, coincidence?

Haha, nope not Computerbild. I did make this account for this thread however.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

c.kwon

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
What type of abuse on your iPhone? Am curious because I returned mine this Monday for being curved but I did not abuse it in any way.

The iphone was in my backpocket with the screen faced against my butt cheek through a 3 hour wedding recital. Came home to charge it and noticed the slight curvature and bend; not as dire as the ones seen in recent tests where much force was used.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The iphone was in my backpocket with the screen faced against my butt cheek through a 3 hour wedding recital. Came home to charge it and noticed the slight curvature and bend; not as dire as the ones seen in recent tests where much force was used.

Let's see a picture.

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012

Were you sitting that entire 3 hours? And also I don't think I got which model you had.
Mine was a 6, never back pocket, hardly even front pocket.

Transporter

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
Same issue I had, bent inwards on the screen side

Interesting thread! I have the exact same problem! My first iPhone 6 had a hardware failure after 4 minutes out of the box so I got a replacement unit after 1 week. I had the replacement unit (it was a new iPhone, no refurbished one) in use for 2 days and I absolutely treated it with care and always carried it with a leather slip case (Joli Originals) in my front pocket, just like I did with my 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and 5S. I also took it out of my pocket while driving. After 2 days of use I discovered that the aluminum frame starting from above the volume down button is bent. As a consequence my screen can be pushed inwards into the frame at this spot. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how this could have happened after only 2 days of use. I have an appointment at the genius bar next monday so I'll have to see what the genius says. It could well be a manufacturing error, but of course I can't prove that now! :-/

@OP: Be so kind and keep this thread updated!

Attachments

• IMG_7131.jpg
    IMG_7131.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_7137.jpg
    IMG_7137.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 169

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I have had my iphone 6 plus in my pocket everyday since launch day and have not had any problemsmine is perfect in my anti #bendgate Case

http://youtu.be/G9yTQSvwPBs

so your solution to a problem that doesn't really exist (I can bend / break any phone, I've offered to people who ask me about being worried about my phone) is to put a hideous case on it that barely adds any real protection.

madriven79

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Seeing how the iphone designs is going more and more to **** with every new generation I am actually thinking about stocking up on a few 4s iphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.