Sorry, but Apple FAIL

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by stuartmack1974, Jul 22, 2011.

1. stuartmack1974, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

stuartmack1974 macrumors member

Forums are about opinions and these are just mine. I can't se any added value to Lion compared to Snow Leopard which was so easy to use and am completely unconvinced by it. It appears to me that the popularity of iOS has totally railroaded Apples thinking into believing that Mac users somehow would want this approach on their macs.

Launchpad is pointless and there is so much duplication and lack of interaction with the dock. Its completely rigid in its ability to be customised and in my humble view is a complete waste of quite a nice gesture which could be used for something far more useful, even just to be able to go straight into finder.

Mission control is messy, and appears to be a gimmick than serve any real purpose.

And why are the simple things missed by Apple. Safari ok is much improved but the switching pages with two finger swipe is not flawless, when you stretch your scree to a more suitable screen size on a website it reverts to the original size when you go back / forward a page. And as for thumb and four fingers to show the desktop, it just plain ludicrous.

Switching the scrolling was just pointless and only serves as a hindrance, it doesn't benefit the user experience.

Mail is better, but not as good as sparrow. Three finger tap for the dictionary is again a waste of a gesture.

I think a lot of apple fans are convincing themselves Lion is a win, when personally i think it represents a really confused OS, particularly compared to Snow Leopard which was so simple and functional use.

Slate me all you like, but sometimes us Apple fans have to front up and say ' you got it wrong'.

Disappointed Stu:(

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I really think you are bang on the money. I'm going back to SL for a while.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd like to better understand why you believe Sparrow still prevails over Mail. I use Sparrow and have not yet installed Lion, therefore, your opinion matters if there is any substance to it.

4. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

I don't have to "convince" myself that Lion is a win.
    If I hear one more complaint about launchpad I might just lose it. No one is forcing you to use launchpad. I know I won't be using it, I'm taking it off the dock and most likely re-assigning its gesture. Is that really so hard to do? It may not have any value added to us but to some people it does. Since it doesn't detract from your experience unless you use it, just don't use it.

Mission control is young. It has some growing pains but personally I like it. Once you get used to picking the correct application before picking a window it really all makes sense. There are a few bugs in it but those will be worked out. report them and you'll see results.

I'll not even talk about scrolling since you can revert any time you like. Quit whining that Apple didn't design the operating system features for you personally.

In terms of the iOS feel, it makes sense to apple. Not to those of us that already use their computers maybe, but to the people that only have used an iOS device before, this drives them towards the computers. It's a vertical integration strategy and we'll have to see how well it pays off.

5. stevearm macrumors 6502a

6. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

I respect your opinion, perfectly valid points, but.......

If i had a £1 for everytime i encounter someone unnecessarily use the word "FAIL" in the name of a thread i'd buy myself a nice big Mac Pro....and put Lion on it ;)

7. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

The good news is that you don't have to install Lion at all or use Launchpad or Mission Control. Any bugs will likely get patched as is the case with all OSes.

Apple has more grandiose plans that you are missing. Why is Apple, despite all of its success, such a small piece of the installed consumer market? Much of it has to do with software. They want the same software development success they achieved on mobile devices to the desktop / laptop market. While bringing the App Store was a start, Lion takes it to the next level.

Is it perfect? Far from. As a creature of habit, I doubt I will ever use Launchpad initially but it was actually nice to find some applications that I had totally forgotten about. But if this helps to bring more software development to the OSX platform then I think it will perceived by a success by many beyond Apple's core base.

8. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You can download Better Touch Tool and change the gestures to whatever you want. Epic fail? :rolleyes:

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

He may not have know about BTT. BTT changed my magic mouse forever and then of course ultimately changed my magic trackpad. It is one of the best utilities to ever hit my mac.

10. andyffer macrumors member

yes epic fail. Isn't Lion suppose to be an UPGRADE?
    I don't feel that taking away features is upgrading.

Let me state it like you:
    You could also download Snow Leopard and get your gestures to be like you wanted them. Epic fail? :rolleyes:

11. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Totally agree. BetterTouchTool is a vital part of my workflow as Alfred is.

12. stuartmack1974, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011

stuartmack1974 thread starter macrumors member

No intention to be argumentative with this post, but like all of you my cash has allowed Apple to become who they are today. They define themselves on the user experience, and compared to SL, Lion is not (in its present form) a comfortable pleasurable user experience.

As for saying you don't have ti use the functions thats all very well, but what about the incredibly useful functions that have disappeared. Ignore elements of a new OS because they lack purpose is not good. If I'm perfectly honest i think Apple are winging it with this release and they are going to disenfranchise many long time devotees.

Apologies for using fail. If Lions user experience doesn't improve over the coming months, Ill be using failure. Im a huge Apple fan, but one of the biggest letdowns of the mac community is to accept when Apple fail, i mean, do not deliver the goods. Look at the new notifications in iOS 5 - androids been doing that for how long.

Personally i do not fee that i help or contribute to Apples development in anyway if i delude myself into believing i have purchased a decent product when potentially i have not. Just glad it was only £20.

Maybe ill change in time, but not currently.

Regards, Stu

Why should i have to download 3rd party apps though guys just to :

a) replace functions and gestures that work
    b) to correct the lack of common sense thinking in apples product design

Seriously, seriously considering reverting to SL. Awaiting the hate....:eek:

Stu

Sorry jessica - to answer your question - i have always found apple mail to be quit buggy and a lot of users have reverted to sparrow as a result. Without fail (ahh that word) sparrow pulls through all my mail regardless of account type. The same can't be said for apple mail, although to be fair i do think it is much improved in Lion.

Stu

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Actually, it's replacing a lot of different things, like expose. It is being forced upon us.

And again, can I go into an Apple store and buy a Macbook Air with Snow Leopard on it?

So many people on these forums take the "don't use it" approach. However, those people seem to forget that, as Apple forces their OS on all new hardware, there's no way to go back. Especially for someone like me who would be using Lion on a new Mac.

14. mactmaster macrumors 6502

They removed that? Awesome.

15. kalakov macrumors member

I'll have to humbly agree with Stu to a certain extent. Not an epic fail but a bunch of improvements that could have been passed down through a free update. Lion doesn't contain something that is remarkably or completely different from Snow Leopard and thus does not live up to the "Lion" hype created by Apple.

16. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

If you have an old mac then you still have SL disks. Install away!

17. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I know right? It was unbelievably annoying. I hated it when it would resize the icons when I would just accidentally brush two fingers trying to find something.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That doesn't work for a couple of reasons.

1. Disks are machine specific.
    2. For Apple, newer hardware usually cannot run older OSs as the drivers are not available.

19. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Better Touch Tool doesn't fix this regression in Lion. There's no option to re-activate pinch to zoom in Finder. :rolleyes:

20. relax11, Jul 22, 2011

relax11 macrumors newbie

I think we need to realize the world Apple is in.

They are trying to tap a wider market, many of whom are not tech savvy. This is necessary for the company's growth. This is why the new army of iPad converts is singing the praises of Lion: because they are more at home in a simpler, less user-dependent environment. Clicking an app and consuming content in a closed, pre-made environment is the future.

Every young company starts off creative, but eventually they create a closed environment and become big brother - forcing conformity rather than enabling creativity. Welcome to planet iOS.

For instance, while my Mac is filled with 3rd party applications, and while I depend on a very specific workflow environment over which I have maximum control, my 80yr old mother likes the simplicity of the iOS atmosphere. She likes "pre-made", inflexible apps that have an elegant simplicity - that assume and reinforce a much higher level of user passivity. For her, the iPad is nirvana. Everything is done for her. (And I praise Apple for bringing her into the fold. This is why Apple's transition to Planet iOS has filled me with such deep ambivalence)

So we're clear, she doesn't create spreadsheets, she consumes media. She doesn't need the kind of flexibility and control that comes with a universe of her own making - filled with complicated programs that make the computer her creation. She doesn't want to bother with creating her own environment - she wants to buy it in the app store.

Lion is a step in her direction.

The reason so many people are protecting and defending Lion is because they represent the new Mac consumer. They serf the internet, use Facebook, send emails to their friends, tweet, and shop. Rather than use the computer for work, they drool catatonic in the app store, searching vaguely but passionately for gadgets and conveniences that they never knew they needed. And when these folks do work, they don't require programs capable of heavy lifting.

Jobs had to bring these people in. He needed to grow or die. (But he's also been waiting to become powerful enough to get rid of [Adobe, etc] - so his operating systems are becoming increasingly closed. His battles have become our inconveniences. He is locking doors that some of us want open)

So the iPad revolution is here, and they've taken over the party.

If they win -- if they shout us down with their praise of Lion -- we will be one giant step closer to losing the distinction between the iPad and the Macbook. Before long -- if things go to plan -- we won't even remember what that distinction was. This is why they call it a closed environment - because eventually you cannot even imagine an outside.

21. stuartmack1974, Jul 22, 2011

stuartmack1974 thread starter macrumors member

Well i for one don't like the direction - this iOS-obsession will come back to bite them. Im sitting here, not a heavy iPad or iOS user, wondering why my powerful functioning workhorse of a MBP, is being reduced to childlike innovation and eye candy.

I can now do a three finger swipe for M control or hit the dock button - why would you need both options! I can now hit the button for launchpad or do a thumb and 3 finger pinch - again why would you need both.

It seems as though Apple are beginning to focus on making computer toys that look trick and as the previous poster rightly said, are appealing to a non-tech generation. I don't consider myself tecchy per se, but i can see poor design and functionality when i see it.

Maybe Apple need to decide who their market is. I have to say that the pitch at WWDC was about overly-slick and is becoming tiresome. Its the sort of patter you hear from estate agents and sales people. 'Pushing content is now awesome' etc from Craig Federighi etc. No its not, everything has become less pragmatic and user defined, and more focussed on 'features'.

Sorry but i really can't hide my disappointment on this one Apple.

Going for a beer, lets hope that ring pull still opens towards me....:D

Stu

22. jagolden macrumors 6502

jagolden

Overall, I have to agree with Stu. Don't even understand the usefulness (if there is any) of Launchpad.
    The only worthwhile thing is the improved Mail, and even that's not so important. Everyone has their favor mail app, whether it's Apple's or not.

5 finger gestures? Ridiculous. Gestures overall, dubious usefulness on a full fledged computer.

23. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I guess everyone has their opinion, but after two days I feel a lot better about Lion. At first, I loved the product and then after a while, I was less than enthused. But after finding a number of fixes and work arounds, I really do like Lion better than SL. The two features I like most are Mail and the changes to Safari and Quicktime. I don't use Launchpad and have put my Applications folder back on my Dock. Mission Control works fine for me as does Spaces. I don't use Gestures and I've turned Resume off. Speed seems about the same as SL.

So I guess for $29, I'm pleased.

24. stuartmack1974 thread starter macrumors member

Here's an idea - lets hope Apple delivers a software update next week which allows you to get rid of either the dock or the Launchpad, so at least one has some meaning and integrity!:eek:

25. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Stating the 'Apple FAIL' is a little strong. Perhaps it's not to your liking for whatever reason. I find that Mail is much improved; Launch Pad revealed many apps that I don't use anymore (so deleted them); swiping through iterations of pages in Safari aids me greatly when doing research; Full Screen is terrific for video editing; Mission Control beats squeezing Magic Mouse; etc.

So Mac desktops and books are becoming more 'iPad-ish' in technique and appearance... in terms of Apple's strategy into the future, that's quite clever by simplifying the desktop experience.

One man's meat... I venture.