Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
In my opinion they are all very cool BUT as for the iPhone 5 I'd go for the white for the only reason that it's the lesser prone to scratch and scuffs.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
IMO space grey looks the best of the three colors... My best iPad will be that color if offered... Gold was surprisingly muted

S

syd430

I posted this in another thread...just a little interesting detail - The bezels/inserts are much darker on the 5s, making the front look not as flush than the 5 (with my 2 units anyway)...

The difference is noticeable in normal light but it really shows in direct sunlight, where the 5 (and every other iphone/ipad bezel before it) turns almost a dark grey:

WpHY0KR.jpg

Not sure why they changed it this year. It's almost as if it's a different martial underneath.

Bujin

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
I love my space gray iphone. My only quibble with my slate one was that it lacked the visual pop of the chamfered edges of the white one. This has the nice dark look but the edges have a nice reflective quality.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
I bought the space grey on launch. I think pictures don't do it justice. It really grows on you.

I do think I like the slate better. Like I wonder if the slate was a new color this year. I love the slate.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
Same here, wanted the gold, wasn't available, so I got the slate gray and I LOVE ITTTT, thank god they didn't have gold lmaoo I love my slate :D

dr.S

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
UK
Wow, received my Space Grey 64GB from EE short while ago. No doubt the BEST colour combo ever. I agree that pictures don't do justice to what it is like in real. The chamfers have a reflective/silverly lining which looks awesome from front. Very sober and elegant colour combo. :apple:

Who would like to cover this beauty in a case? I'm going to go all commando or perhaps just a tempered glass screen protector and a protector at the back to prevent scratches. Else cover would not do justice to this beauty.

nanotoj

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2010
I only had the space gray as an option when I got my 5s as I went into Verizon at closing on launch day. Had there been a gold or silver available I might have ended up with one of those, but I would not have walked out with a space gray one had I not liked it. With that said, I always use a case but the gunmetal look of the space gray is quite nice. As a female, I don't view the dark color as being any more masculine than the other options. To me, the case makes more of a statement about the individual. I took the phone out of the case yesterday so someone could compare it to their Note and they almost dropped it off their desk. It did fall onto the desk loudly and the back got pushed hard into the desk again to keep it from falling...no scuffs or marks were left behind.

cityhopper

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2013
I'll miss my black 4s but my eyes cannot tolerate how iOS7 looks on the space grey phone. The phone itself looks great but IMHO does not gel well with the new OS.

I'm glad so many of you are enjoying the 5s!

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I went from a white iPhone 5 to a space grey 5s. The space grey is really nice. I also bought a black 5s case, which looks good, but I wish there had been an option for a grey leather case. Because my phone looks rather black now.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I have hope that if I take care of my 5S Space Gray, that it won't scuff scratch as easily as the slate black. So I decided to take off the case and go with a naked phone. I have apple care just incase. Plus, I really want to use apples 5S dock for my desk. Has anyone else with space gray had any issues with scratches/scuffing or has it been smooth sailing?

zombiedave

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
UK
I wanted gold..........but decided to get space grey as it was in stock. Im so glad i did, its a real industrial look and i like it, the wife has a iphone 5 black and the grey is so much better. I am pleasantly suprised!

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Hyperbole much? Breathtaking? Are you a reviewer?

No, but when mine arrived and I opened the box with my wife peering over my shoulder, she gasped and said, "That thing is gorgeous!"

I agree. I thought Apple couldn't top the iPhone 4 for beauty, but with Slate Grey they have.

Intriguingly, she never said that about my son's black 5. It's a supremely nice machine, but shy of work-of-art status. The 5S blows past that metric handily, IMHO.

And it works really well too. The fingerprint sensor is a terrific convenience yet highly secure, and the whole device is very, very fast and smooth.

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
I'll miss my black 4s but my eyes cannot tolerate how iOS7 looks on the space grey phone. The phone itself looks great but IMHO does not gel well with the new OS.

Did you try changing the background wallpaper? I used one of the darker still options and it made a huge difference on my eyes.

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I agree. I ordered the Silver for a change but don't like it. Ordered through Verizon so I only get 14 days to make up my mind and I have to decide if it is work the $35 return fee :/

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
Oh why... your resale value just plummeted by more than 50% with that move....

haha really?

First off, I've always had great success. People see them as unique.

Second, they are stickers. They peel right off - and they serve two functions. Protection and aesthetics.

BTW - the photos do not do it justice. The blue is not as light as it appears in the pics. And I can change colors at any time.

Last edited:

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
haha really?

First off, I've always had great success. People see them as unique.

Second, they are stickers. They peel right off - and they serve two functions. Protection and aesthetics.

BTW - the photos do not do it justice. The blue is not as light as it appears in the pics. And I can change colors at any time.

Aesthetics? Really? You think that garish blue looks good? :eek:

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
My iPhone 5 was the first non-black iPhone I bought. There was no question that I wanted the white one a year ago. But when I saw the space grey this time around....I knew that was what I wanted.

It looks even better in person. As long as Apple continues with this combo I know it's going to be the one I get in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.