Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook2,1

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
What if...

Would there be someway to bring Spaces back to Lion in the same way that people brought the Tiger Front Row to Leopard? If I remember correctly, wasn't there a "Spaces.app" file on Snow Leopard? Or I thought I saw some of the developer versions of Lion with Exposé & Spaces, could there be someway to bring those to the final release??? That would be awesome!!

stressymum

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Grrr...

I am totally with you all on this - spaces in Lion is horrible! I had beautifully configured 4x4 spaces in SL and every app had its own space, and it is now ALL GONE. I am still tripping over my own fingers trying to get used to Mission Control, which is a blinking nightmare. I cannot always see the apps in its assigned desktop, and the windows overlap and hide each other. The windows don't always show up either.

This one feature is tempting me to de-install Lion and revert to SL, if not for the fact that for some reason, since installing Lion, my MBP seems to be performing better (i.e. quicker with less spiral wheels lag). Grrr...

:mad::(

dkaleky

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
This one feature is tempting me to de-install Lion and revert to SL,

I already did. It is unreal why Apple would put out this OS and at least not option spaces.

I wasted enough time with it- and it is back to SL

jaimeastin

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I already did. It is unreal why Apple would put out this OS and at least not option spaces.

I wasted enough time with it- and it is back to SL

yeah... MC is MESSY.

Like a table with junkmail scattered about... Spaces was very usable. I have giving launch pad more credit than I thought, but it is nothing to write home about...

What you all have to realize is that there are more ios devices out there than macs... Apple has gained more people from ios to mac than mac to ios... This is why things are going back there. The ios users usually know nothing about computers. I was talking and laughing with an apple genius not too long ago about iphone/ipod users who never ever back up or connect their devices to the computer. Most of them bearly use it or know how to use it. It is simple yes, but people use it in a simple fashion... So, the more the mac mimics the ios, the easier it would be for people who use ios to come in. Most think the iphone is so easy, the mac must be... it is, but they still do not understand because it is not ios simple...

That was off topic, but apple's push with line is not good... it is pretty, but the bullying you into a new way which offers little benifit is awful. Good thing it is just the first run....

relax11

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Spaces was meant for the old PC universe - for a large screen that could support multiple projects and platforms, with maximum user control over layout.

The new iOS universe is not only much simpler, but it is less user dependent - and it is based on the one dimensional linear screen flow of the iPhone/iPad.

The user must be re-educated to live in this space. If it cannot work on the iPhone, than it will be phased out.

Welcome to the future.

Last edited:

dkaleky

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
but the bullying you into a new way

That's exactly what I was thinking-- we all want the new OS-- but then they shove this down our throats-- to relearn how we have been productive for the last few years.

Spaces was meant for the old PC universe

Huh? Not even remotely true.

Old Pc universe has this? Win 7 has something similar to cascade thru windows, but not the same at all. Not even close to spaces. XP never had this.

And if Apple was taking anything from MS- at least MS KEPT old UI option for people who wanted the new OS but didn't want to relearn things.

Last edited:

Bisz

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
+1 for missing the SL Spaces. I had a hot corner set up for spaces, and they were all big enough that you could see what was on each one so you could drag it to another space to organize things just so. Not the case with Mission Control, which is disappointing. The other drawback for me like it seems for many others is the fact that all of the windows overlap and cover each other in MS so its hard to see whats on them.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
I would be happy if Apple would make the transition animation quicker, and added the ability to arrange spaces in Mission Control. Then it would be livable...

vinodhan

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Spaces in lion is available

Hey guys!

How come u guys didnt figure spaces on lion? Its not termed as spaces but as DESKTOP in lion...

1. Launch Mission Control
2. Move ur pointer to near top right screen (If u have hot corners activated on the top right corner u might go that assigned screen. So make sure so u dont move your pointer to that close.)
3. You get a big '+' button there.. click on it and u get a new DESKTOP (or SPACES as in SL and that sign comes with the default desktop picture as background.)

Once u click on it you would get a new space termed as DESKTOP 2. You can rename them, have a different wallpaper and Even open application on any 'desktop' from any desktop.

EDIT: Then u can just swipe from left to right or right to left using your four fingers to switch between spaces.

For eg.

Say I want to open Mail in 'DESKTOP 2' and I am in 'DESKTOP 3' I can right click on the icon and go to options and chose either 'This Desktop' or 'All Desktop'.

and another tip is the shortkey! its command key and the number guys together... I am pretty sure apple most of you should have figured it out.. for others this is a tip i feel.. Message me if there is more doubt!

Last edited:

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Hey guys!

How come u guys didnt figure spaces on lion? Its not termed as spaces but as DESKTOP in lion...

2. Move ur pointer to near top right screen (If u have hot corners activated on the top right corner u might go that assigned screen. So make sure so u dont move your pointer to that close.)
3. You get a big '+' button there.. click on it and u get a new DESKTOP (or SPACES as in SL and that sign comes with the default desktop picture as background.)

Once u click on it you would get a new space termed as DESKTOP 2. You can rename them, have a different wallpaper and Even open application on any 'desktop' from any desktop.

EDIT: Then u can just swipe from left to right or right to left using your four fingers to switch between spaces.

For eg.

Say I want to open Mail in 'DESKTOP 2' and I am in 'DESKTOP 3' I can right click on the icon and go to options and chose either 'This Desktop' or 'All Desktop'.

and another tip is the shortkey! its command key and the number guys together... I am pretty sure apple most of you should have figured it out.. for others this is a tip i feel.. Message me if there is more doubt!

If you read the posts you will see the the problem is not adding spaces, but the poor implementation of expose/spaces in Mission Control. The problem is that the Expose within Mission Control leaves your windows covered and unreadable.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Hey guys!

For eg.

Yep. You can multitask with Mission Control. Same way, you can write a book on a typewriter. No need for a computer.

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
Why make the computer more and more linear?=

Because too many people got tired of babysitting their (parents, significant other, etc ) who only had a linear mind?

Remember the line in "Wrath of Khan" about two-dimensional thinking? Now go outside, look at the idiots around you, and consider how many of them are challenged dealing with just _one_ dimension.

No, simpler isn't always better. But at least it keeps the phone from ringing for silly questions.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I am totally with you all on this - spaces in Lion is horrible! I had beautifully configured 4x4 spaces in SL and every app had its own space, and it is now ALL GONE. I am still tripping over my own fingers trying to get used to Mission Control, which is a blinking nightmare. I cannot always see the apps in its assigned desktop, and the windows overlap and hide each other. The windows don't always show up either.
Part of the problem is that MC is buggy. If Safari crashes in Fullscreen (and 5.1 does often) half the time the space will still be there but be unusable. iTunes in Fullscreen is even worse when it decides to hang when starting up and then crashes. You're basically left with having to delete and reinstall it.

I also hate how the most recently fullscreened app goes to the end of the list. It should be next to the last desktop!

And why doesn't cmd+tab take me to a fullscreen app if I'm on a desktop? It works if you're looking at a fullscreen app. I'm guessing that's a bug because it sure as hell isn't consistent.

Coming from Spaces, MC is not well thought out. I, too, trip over my fingers trying to remember what the new hotkeys are. I have a feeling it works a lot better with gestures (I'm on a white Macbook).

Last edited:

The pSYION

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Is anyone here using the GM seed instead of the App Store version? I noticed many of my issues vanished when i did a fresh install off the App Store instead of using the one from the Developers site.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Is anyone here using the GM seed instead of the App Store version? I noticed many of my issues vanished when i did a fresh install off the App Store instead of using the one from the Developers site.

It was some other reason. The two versions are identical.

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
My biggest problem with the new MC is that you can't drag applications from one desktop (aka space) to another unless you're dragging it FROM the active desktop. Although in the old spaces world I usually started out organizing spaces by application, as my day got busier I would use a free space to gather everything for a certain project. This process used to be really easy - fly open my spaces, grab whatever windows from various applications that I wanted and drop them all into the same space. I can't do that anymore and it's really frustrating!

Even a really basic thing, like say I'm in Word on Desktop 3 and I want to bring an already open window for Chrome over. I want to just open mission control while on Desktop 3, grab the Chrome window from Desktop 2 and drag it over to where I'm working. Nope. Can't do that anymore. I have to switch to Desktop 2 first, then move the Chrome window over, and then switch back to Desktop 3. Slightly annoying if I'm just moving one application, super-mega-annoying if I'm trying to gather 3-4 applications. Lion IMO is definitely a massive downgrade from SL.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
I've looked and looked; defaults in terminal - everywhere. All i want to do is rearrange the order of my desktops on de fly.

Please don't make me sit there and think 'Self, where are you gonna open up your mail, and don't forget the database, and oh yeah- Coda, and ...'

Can i just reach out and grasp a desktop, and -picture it- sliiiiide it over here. Oh yeah. That was good. Ya'll feelin in me? Is that too much to ask?

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
Spaces was meant for the old PC universe - for a large screen that could support multiple projects and platforms, with maximum user control over layout.

The new iOS universe is not only much simpler, but it is less user dependent - and it is based on the one dimensional linear screen flow of the iPhone/iPad.

The user must be re-educated to live in this space. If it cannot work on the iPhone, than it will be phased out.

Welcome to the future.
~~muuuuust be reeduuuuuucated~~ ...arms raised in front, slow gait...

Ferry888

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
After reading this I too must say I love how Spaces work. I won't upgrade since everything works fine on SL for me. Hope Apple makes Spaces a part of Lion again.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009

Welcome to the future.

Yes, that's like saying that all cars should be like motorized shopping trolleys (the ones that old fat people use in Walmart). Who needs to go fast with big, comfortable cars? Now it's all about underpowered gadgets, let's also make full-powered cars run slower to be the same!

The iOS universe is for CASUAL use. I can't use my iPod Touch or an iPad to do serious work. It's not immersive or comfortable. Try do edit a 2-hour movie on an iPhone or iPad. Try to edit 3000 large format digital pictures in Photoshop on an iPad. You can't. Because there's no workflow.

Spaces made hardcore organizing easy. Sure it wasn't perfect, but Mission Control has way more bugs and is way worse in terms of flexibility and usefulness. With MC, I can't drag windows from any space to any other space. For people working with 20 open apps with loads of windows, you have to do that.

Sure, for casual grannies who are fine with iPads, Lion is great. But then get an iPad, it's cheaper and cooler. Why get a computer then? If you want serious work, get a computer. And expect it to work like a computer. That means a nonlinear approach. It allows you to use your brain and organize things in a visual way. A linear approach is less visual, especially with the tiny thumbnails. Perfect for stupid people.

However, I don't want to feel stupid...

mobtek

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
I would be happy if Apple would make the transition animation quicker, and added the ability to arrange spaces in Mission Control. Then it would be livable...

It is quicker if you use ctrl-1 etc my keystrokes of ctrl-arrow keys is slow as **** and bug the crap outta me all day :) :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.