Sport Watch Box [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by c0valent, Apr 9, 2015.

1. c0valent macrumors member

Will Watch Sport retail box differ from the Watch box?

Anyone knows? Got a link?

2. vc2020 macrumors regular

Apparently the inside case is a little different.

3. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

It's a box. How does it matter in the slightest? I'll never understand.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In his review CNet review Stein says there are 3 types of boxes.

5. technosix macrumors 6502a

This is Apple, even the minutiae matters :)

6. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

I think these boxes will become a collectors item as the ugliest packaging Apple ever created, and will sell for thousands on ebay.

7. TS19 macrumors member

From Nilay Patel's AMA:

It's different for each one. The Sport comes in a long oval plastic case with a clear top; the, um, Regular, comes in a white plastic box with a felt lining, and the Edition is like, an entire sensory experience with a built-in MagSafe charger.

8. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So the inside of the SS box is felt not cardboard (was hard to tell from the photos). I'd be curious to see a picture of the Sport box.

9. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Boxes can be beautiful objects in themselves. The box is big part of a high-end watch.

You might think I'm crazy, but I own a Breitling box, despite not actually owning a Breitling watch. It's just a lovely object.

I think Apple has really missed a trick here. They could easily have designed a box that would have worked as a charging stand -- and delighted all of us, not just the Edition people.

10. Patriot24, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Apparently.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

Yes but they had to give all those people paying mega bucks for the Edition model something people buying the other two models don't have plus make it stand out and differentiate it from the other two models. ;)

12. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Haven't seen it, but if I had to guess, like the SS plastic box, but one of the halves is transparent.

13. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Turns out, we've already seen it. Scroll up to see the picture.

14. madsci954 macrumors 68030

When this first leaked, I could not see how the Watch casing, bands, charging cable, and instructions could fit in there. And I still don't. I still think those are for straps.

15. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Where? I see a band box. Nothing that could hold the full watch and charger.

16. Mathletics macrumors member

Mathletics

Does the sport come with a usb wall adapter? There is no way that box holds one

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

In case you missed them, I posted some comparison shots of various watch/smartwatch boxes here, along with a Breitling unboxing video.

Yes, perhaps a plastic (or wood for the SS model) piece for the charger, so people wouldn't have to lay their watch on a table like we saw in some reviews. Maybe something like this simple one:

composition-power.png

Also, some reviewers commented that it would've been nicer if Apple had included an inductive charging stand like the $250 Moto 360 has:

Moto-360-Smartwatch-Charging-Dock.jpg

I think Motorola did a better job than Apple in this respect, because you simply put the 360 on the stand (no magnets necessary) and it not only keeps the watch supported while it charges, it also becomes a night clock.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Excellent observation and question. Yesterday I theorized the Sport would come with the 1 meter cable instead of the SS 2 meter cable. Now it looks like it might not come with a wall adaptor. Not a big deal to me since I have several from Apple and others.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Is that the cheapest make/looking box that ANY $1000 watch has ever been sold to the public in?

I've bought watches in the past with nicer packaging that cost under $100

It's certainly not the type of beautiful presentation box one would consider your loved one being impressed with as it was opened, and a nice keepsake.

I guess I could almost accept this for the sport, it's actually too cheap for that tbh, but for the normal watch, its embarrassing, and must be all of $1 worth :(

Certainly now what I would of thought given the "Fashion/Style" front they wish to portray, and nothing like a normal quality proper watch box.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Right, the stainless steel model comes packed like that:

apple-box.png

The question, though, was how the Sport model box might be different.

According to some reviewers... who might be guessing (did Apple give any reviewer the Sport??? all I've seen are SS reviews)... the Sport comes in a smaller oval box with a clear plastic top. Probably like the iPhone 5C.

21. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

WHERE is this idea coming from? On the apple website it says that the sports version comes with a charging cable and USB adaptor. I do not credit a photo caption as being correct. Yes, maybe the sports watch itself is in that little box but that box must be part of something more to have the rest.

I actually LIKE that SS box. If feels very Apple like.

22. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

If the two pieces we see on the desk are the top and bottom of a clamshell? Seems plausible that everything could fit if that were the case?

23. technosix macrumors 6502a

You are absolutely correct. That's very cheap looking packaging compared to the high quality stylish packaging Apple once provided.

But their is a reason, now hyper focused on squeezing out every penny of profit along with being Apple centric as opposed to customer centric, it all makes sense.