• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hey Siri, play Old Town Road on Spotify.

Ask that now and Siri will tell you that it cannot play songs from Spotify, but that could change soon. Apple is opening up its SiriKit framework to third-party music, podcasts, audiobooks, and radio apps in iOS 13 and iPadOS, enabling users to use Siri to control audio playback in supported apps.

DRAKE.jpg
Mockup of Siri support for Spotify

It will be up to developers to enable this functionality in their apps. We've reached out to Spotify, Amazon, Google, Pandora, Tidal, Overcast, Castro, and several other popular music and podcasts app developers to see if they have plans to support Siri, and we'll update this story if we hear back.

Spotify recently accused Apple of anticompetitive business practices, and its inability to integrate with Siri was one of its complaints. "Apple won't allow us to be on HomePod and they definitely won't let us connect with Siri to play your jams," said Spotify. Going forward, the latter is no longer the case.

The first betas of iOS 13 and iPadOS were seeded to developers on Monday, with public betas to follow in July. The software updates will be widely released in the fall, likely alongside new iPhones in September as usual.

Article Link: Spotify and Other Music and Podcasts Apps Can Choose to Support Siri in iOS 13

Reactions: Commodore 64

edgonzalez32

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
THE. ****. OUT. OF. HERE. I never thought I'd see them do this. If they open up AdBlockers to be system wide again and have PiP for YouTube and Twitch, I will definitely switch back over to iOS.

Reactions: martyjmclean
Comment

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
THE. ****. OUT. OF. HERE. I never thought I'd see them do this. If they open up AdBlockers to be system wide again and have PiP for YouTube and Twitch, I will definitely switch back over to iOS.

Not sure about Twitch but I can PiP for YT on iPad. Just use a 3rd party browser, navigate to a YT video and the minimise button appears on the player. I use the feature daily and only use the YT App to browse content now.

Also - there's no ads.

Comment

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
Love that the mockup is just a screenshot with one word changed to "Spotify". :p

Comment

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Spotify recently accused Apple of anticompetitive business practices, and its inability to integrate with Siri was one of its complaints. "Apple won't allow us to be on HomePod and they definitely won't let us connect with Siri to play your jams," said Spotify. Going forward, the latter is no longer the case.

And the former isn't currently the case; you can play Spotify on your HomePod. True, it's not as easy as playing Apple Music, but Spotify isn't being honest.

Reactions: Websnapx2
Comment

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
This would be great if it worked for HomePod too, but I seriously doubt that's the case... which would make owning a HomePod but using a third party service still frustrating.

Comment

dominiongamma

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2014
Tempe, Arizona
Finally! I hope Spotify will get going on that quickly....
Who knows they are trying to convince the EU about Apple being a monopoly be curious if they will offer siri support after everything.
[doublepost=1559743857][/doublepost]
Love that the mockup is just a screenshot with one word changed to "Spotify". :p
The best but worst photoshop pic lol

Comment

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Siri is still barely usable when runing non-English country settings and asking for English songs, singers or movies (which is naturally quite a lot). I hope this also will improve further.

Last edited:
Comment

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
there needs to be Siri support system wide for every app.
I hate that I can't use Siri for my nest. or deeper Siri commands for lifx bulbs that the developer can add for shortcuts to scenes for their bulbs/led strips.

Nest/Google have decided not to support HomeKit; that's not Apple's fault. For Lifx, I also believe this falls on them to add shortcuts support to their app; I don't know if there's anything missing in iOS 12 from getting this to work.

Comment

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
This just shows how Spotify was right and they had no access to Siri prior to iOS 13.
I guess lawsuits do come in handy.

Next lawsuit, trying to hide the notch in iPhone XS marketing pictures. Maybe they'll get rid of it for good.

Comment

Remy149

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2016
Twitch has pip and YouTube Is missing the feature because google wants you to pay for premium YouTube

Reactions: the johnmc
Comment

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Apple is letting water out to ease pressure on the dam, so to speak. Nevertheless, glad they’re opening Siri up to competitors.

Or maybe this has been part of the road map all along, and like any other technical endeavor, it took time to implement. Pure speculation either way.
[doublepost=1559745460][/doublepost]
This just shows how Spotify was right and they had no access to Siri prior to iOS 13.
I guess lawsuits do come in handy.

Next lawsuit, trying to hide the notch in iPhone XS marketing pictures. Maybe they'll get rid of it for good.

No, it doesn't show that at all.

Comment

ipodtouch2008

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
They have only done this so Spotify has less weight in their Antitrust case. Wish they would finally allow setting different system defaults too!

Comment

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Nest/Google have decided not to support HomeKit; that's not Apple's fault. For Lifx, I also believe this falls on them to add shortcuts support to their app; I don't know if there's anything missing in iOS 12 from getting this to work.

Sadly I think this will be why I switch to Ecobee and cancel my nest doorbell order. It’s a business decision that I think will have a bad outcome for google.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch
Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
This really deserves a finally. But how are all those who think Apple is this anti-competitive monopoly going to spin this?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.