Spotify and Other Music and Podcasts Apps Can Choose to Support Siri in iOS 13

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Hey Siri, play Old Town Road on Spotify.

Ask that now and Siri will tell you that it cannot play songs from Spotify, but that could change soon. Apple is opening up its SiriKit framework to third-party music, podcasts, audiobooks, and radio apps in iOS 13 and iPadOS, enabling users to use Siri to control audio playback in supported apps.

[​IMG]
    Mockup of Siri support for Spotify

It will be up to developers to enable this functionality in their apps. We've reached out to Spotify, Amazon, Google, Pandora, Tidal, Overcast, Castro, and several other popular music and podcasts app developers to see if they have plans to support Siri, and we'll update this story if we hear back.

Spotify recently accused Apple of anticompetitive business practices, and its inability to integrate with Siri was one of its complaints. "Apple won't allow us to be on HomePod and they definitely won't let us connect with Siri to play your jams," said Spotify. Going forward, the latter is no longer the case.

The first betas of iOS 13 and iPadOS were seeded to developers on Monday, with public betas to follow in July. The software updates will be widely released in the fall, likely alongside new iPhones in September as usual.

Article Link: Spotify and Other Music and Podcasts Apps Can Choose to Support Siri in iOS 13

2. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I might be in the minority on this, but I'd love this functionality on SiriusXM's app!

3. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Apple is letting water out to ease pressure on the dam, so to speak. Nevertheless, glad they’re opening Siri up to competitors.

4. edgonzalez32 macrumors 6502

THE. ****. OUT. OF. HERE. I never thought I'd see them do this. If they open up AdBlockers to be system wide again and have PiP for YouTube and Twitch, I will definitely switch back over to iOS.

5. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Not sure about Twitch but I can PiP for YT on iPad. Just use a 3rd party browser, navigate to a YT video and the minimise button appears on the player. I use the feature daily and only use the YT App to browse content now.

Also - there's no ads.

6. adamdport macrumors newbie

I hope Amazon Music gets in on this for all of us Prime users

7. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Love that the mockup is just a screenshot with one word changed to "Spotify". :p

8. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Finally! I hope Spotify will get going on that quickly....

9. jimothyGator macrumors 6502

jimothyGator

And the former isn't currently the case; you can play Spotify on your HomePod. True, it's not as easy as playing Apple Music, but Spotify isn't being honest.

10. Fynd macrumors 6502

This would be great if it worked for HomePod too, but I seriously doubt that's the case... which would make owning a HomePod but using a third party service still frustrating.

11. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

Who knows they are trying to convince the EU about Apple being a monopoly be curious if they will offer siri support after everything.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2019 ---
    The best but worst photoshop pic lol

12. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

there needs to be Siri support system wide for every app.
    I hate that I can't use Siri for my nest. or deeper Siri commands for lifx bulbs that the developer can add for shortcuts to scenes for their bulbs/led strips.

13. Mike MA, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

Siri is still barely usable when runing non-English country settings and asking for English songs, singers or movies (which is naturally quite a lot). I hope this also will improve further.

14. jimothyGator macrumors 6502

jimothyGator

Nest/Google have decided not to support HomeKit; that's not Apple's fault. For Lifx, I also believe this falls on them to add shortcuts support to their app; I don't know if there's anything missing in iOS 12 from getting this to work.

15. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

This just shows how Spotify was right and they had no access to Siri prior to iOS 13.
    I guess lawsuits do come in handy.

Next lawsuit, trying to hide the notch in iPhone XS marketing pictures. Maybe they'll get rid of it for good.

16. skogkatt macrumors newbie

skogkatt

17. 69Mustang, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

It seems like Apple is paying serious attention to what happened to Google in the EU. The specter of negative ramifications seems to be ushering in a new era of cooperation. If it increases the capability of the devices and choices available to consumers, I am all for it.

18. Remy149 macrumors 6502

Twitch has pip and YouTube Is missing the feature because google wants you to pay for premium YouTube

19. FasterQuieter macrumors 6502

FasterQuieter

Please give us a default music app option! Having to say "on Spotify" every time is so unnecessary and silly.

20. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Or maybe this has been part of the road map all along, and like any other technical endeavor, it took time to implement. Pure speculation either way.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2019 ---
    No, it doesn't show that at all.

21. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Sounds like they need to adopt HomeKit better

22. ipodtouch2008 macrumors newbie

They have only done this so Spotify has less weight in their Antitrust case. Wish they would finally allow setting different system defaults too!

23. Lyrca macrumors regular

Lyrca

After Monday it seems Apple is opening up and it’s great news for the users. Really happy about the Apple related news lately. Keep it coming !

24. Bswails macrumors regular

Sadly I think this will be why I switch to Ecobee and cancel my nest doorbell order. It’s a business decision that I think will have a bad outcome for google.

25. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This really deserves a finally. But how are all those who think Apple is this anti-competitive monopoly going to spin this?