Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cory S

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
1. It’s better
2. It has more songs
3. It has much better recommendations and radios
4. Apple, being Apple, provides mediocre services and support outside the US and some countries in Europe ( mediocre localization, no localize customer service - English only, much smaller library in Apple Music due to incomplete international licenses, etc…)

In my country, Spotify heavily invested in localization, publicly modifying their recommendation algorithm to to adjust local opinion and preferences.

and Apple Music is more closed off. I can cast Spotify to my Chromecast devices where Apple Music on iPhone will not. Ironically it will on an android phone though.

Maybe I’m an outlier but I have an extensive network of google assistant speakers and Spotify gives me full home audio and Apple Music does not.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
What’s the use case for this anyway?

If I’m playing something on my phone then I don’t need AirPlay because I’m using my earphones.

If I’m playing something multi-room my Sonos connects to Spotify (or any other service) directly without tying up my phone.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Maybe because Apple Music is terrible, the app interface isn’t as nice as Spotify. The amount of songs that ‘aren’t available in your region’ is laughable, when they’re available in Spotify. Apple Music is far from superior to Spotify
as someone who listens to tons of obscure metal and electronic music I've never had an issue finding anything I wanted to hear... plus I have my whole iTunes library in the cloud from decades past so I have access to local and rare stuff as well

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
probably because the use OGG vorbis

I'm wondering if they're still going to once they introduce their "hifi" tier.

Spotify not having CD quality is the main reason I won't use it now.

I don't like Apple Music either because of the way it forces the "cloud library" on you, which I do not want to use.

Qobuz is the best option for me now.

Reactions: wbeasley

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That's odd, it doesn't seem that hard:

It could be a licensing issue that they don't want to talk about.
They should at least say that. As of right now, you can start playing music via Spotify, then using the control center Airplay control, stream music to multiple Airplay 2 devices. Claiming it's too difficult when their entire app is built around streaming music, just makes them sound incompetent.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
as someone who listens to tons of obscure metal and electronic music I've never had an issue finding anything I wanted to hear... plus I have my whole iTunes library in the cloud from decades past so I have access to local and rare stuff as well
I’d imagine it depends on what country you live in. In the US, AM has as good as a selection as Spotify as far as I can tell. That probably isn’t the case in other countries.

Personally, I use AM over Spotify (even though their playlist sharing is great) because of iTunes Match. There are songs and artists I simply can’t get on either service but I can buy their music from the artist and upload it to my library. Plus, asking Siri to play X is a feature it’s actually competent at.

heroicmailman

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
Maybe because Apple Music is terrible, the app interface isn’t as nice as Spotify. The amount of songs that ‘aren’t available in your region’ is laughable, when they’re available in Spotify. Apple Music is far from superior to Spotify
This. Also, Apple Music’s desktop app is horrifically slow. Speed is a feature and Spotify wins on that front—especially when it comes to search speed. Going to Apple Music from Spotify is like driving around one of those Fischer-Price toy cars with your feet after cruising in a Corvette.

MikeX

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2016
it is pretty bs that spotify cannot support it because it is a lot of work. it isn't.

then they blame apple. cheap games.

Reactions: P-DogNC

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I still don't know why any iPhone people have Spotify over Apple Music

Because Apple won’t implement continuity/handoff/Spotify Connect for Apple Music and I regularly have a much slower and buggier experience on Apple Music than Spotify.

Apple Music has better recommendations, curated playlists, and plays better in the iOS ecosystem, but it’s so frustrating for me to use that I can’t stand to keep paying for it.

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Spotify premium comes with my banking while apple would be a £10/month subscription. I use airplay 2 amd don’t quite understand the difference between ‘native app’ support vs what I have now - guessing native iOS support?

Reactions: brilliantthings

B4rbelith

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2020
1. It’s better
2. It has more songs
3. It has much better recommendations and radios
4. Apple, being Apple, provides mediocre services and support outside the US and some countries in Europe ( mediocre localization, no localize customer service - English only, much smaller library in Apple Music due to incomplete international licenses, etc…)

In my country, Spotify heavily invested in localization, publicly modifying their recommendation algorithm to to adjust local opinion and preferences.
Spotify is good, but Apple Music has its advantages too, like lossless, Dolby Atmos and integration with HomePod.

AM also pays the artists more money, despite actually being cheaper than Spotify if you pay annually.

I don’t find much difference in the size of the catalogues to be honest.

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
12 years of playlists is going to be annoying to transfer. Also the app and discoverability is pretty, except stupid issues like this
Not as annoying as you think. I've used this service to transfer TXT file playlists from a defunct streaming service, and also from an old spotify account into Apple Music. It worked just fine.

Reactions: P-DogNC and aylk

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Spotify's curation and playlists are better than Apple Music's, but between the lacking free Hi-Fi, lagging adoption of full functioning apps to Apple's platforms (watch, TV, etc.), or little things like this, Apple Music really does have a leg up in certain areas. iOS 15 will make Apple Music a stronger offering too.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Seems like Spotify wants to drive as many iPhone users as possible towards Apple Music.
And then complain that it's all Apple's fault for "locking them out" of their ecosystem, even though they haven't.

I've been a Spotify user for many years and love their music discovery algorithms, which is the only reason I'm still with them. But I'd love to switch if I could.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
I disagree. Spotify keeps putting ads everywhere and sends you emails to use premium. And they add music for you on the mobile app, which is why I rarely listen to music on the go compared to before.
Well.. You are using the free tier right? It is very clear that it is ad supported when signing up.. Or atleast it has been. But surely it can’t come as a surprise that a free service pushes ads?

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I still don't know why any iPhone people have Spotify over Apple Music

I have both. Primarily because I love using Spotify in my Tesla. I can access Apple Music in the Tesla web browser ... but it's not ideal. It's also true that Spotify has -- in some cases for me -- music not on Apple Music. It's not much, but it's important for me personally. I have no problem using both. I will also say the quality of Apple Music audio at home sounds better (higher fidelity) than Spotify, which sometimes sounds like it's in a tunnel or slightly muffled. I'm no audiophile so I don't know how to better describe it. In my car they sound identical to me though. Spotify definitely wins with curated playlists ... I do like that a lot. All that said, I think they're both really good and probably one will appeal over another for specific reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: icwhatudidthere
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.