Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
Well.. You are using the free tier right? It is very clear that it is ad supported when signing up.. Or atleast it has been. But surely it can’t come as a surprise that a free service pushes ads?
I don't mind the ads that much, but I HATE the face that they shove music down your throat with the "we added" feature. It's so annoying!

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
Hold up, you are complaining about free Spotify which you use, prefer Apple Music but won't pay for it. lol.
I don’t mind ads. But I hate the fact that they shove music I don’t like down your throat.

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
Spotify is good, but Apple Music has its advantages too, like lossless, Dolby Atmos and integration with HomePod.

AM also pays the artists more money, despite actually being cheaper than Spotify if you pay annually.

I don’t find much difference in the size of the catalogues to be honest.
Thank you for a sensible reply. Both services are fantastic, albeit with minor quirks. The fact that you can snap your fingers and listen to almost any song ever recorded was science fiction 20 years ago. All you pay is less than what tape/CDs used to cost each month (less with fam plans). Tribalism never leads to a good place, especially over minutia like streaming service feature differences.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
12 years of playlists is going to be annoying to transfer. Also the app and discoverability is pretty, except stupid issues like this

An amazing app. The developer is quick to implement new technologies and feature requests/bug fixes. I was on the TestFlight for a while. It’ll make the transition painless.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
I don't mind the ads that much, but I HATE the face that they shove music down your throat with the "we added" feature. It's so annoying!
Well. I don´t know what to tell you. Try Premium for a month...I can´t say that i ever get anything i consider ads in Spotify. But i am a subscriber. Sure i sometimes (rarely) get notified in app of any new album/song that an artist i follow has released but that is because i actively have chosen to follow said artist.

I don´t know if your issue is with the function "Autoplay" which Spotify says "Enjoy nonstop music. We´ll play you similar songs when your music ends". But this can be turned off.

Reactions: xyz01

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
I wouldn’t necessarily say one is better than the other, a lot of it is really people’s personal app preference.

I will say that a business with its entire existence based on playing music claiming that adding Airplay (or any type of streaming support) is too difficult is maybe one of the most ridiculous and lazy claims I’ve ever heard.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
It’s almost like if airplay 2 was available as a systemwide output across Apple’s lines of devices this wouldnt be ann issue and itd be way more useful

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I mean it took Spotify ages to add offline music on the watch, they do a piss poor job of adding features really. There are 2 reasons why I still use it over Apple Music, the biggest one being theres no Apple Music in the Tesla, the smaller one (but still important) being that the curated content and suggestions are a mile ahead of Apple Music.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I still don't know why any iPhone people have Spotify over Apple Music
Because we also use Windows, Linux, Android, FreeBSD.
Because we also want to share our membership with other family members without giving them access to the whole credit card.
Because Apple Music for Android, Apple Music for Windows, Apple Music Website and Apple Music itself sucks.
Because Beats Radio adds no value to the Apple Music membership, it’s too Rap,HipHop,Pop centric.

Spotify, what else?!

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin

because I love Spotify Connect. Being able to control the speaker from whatever decide without pausing whatever I am doing on said device is great.

when I tried the same on Apple Music all I got was a stupid warning that music is already being played from another device.

playlists are also much better curated IN MY OPINION

Most importantly: that white on pink UI. NOPE

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Spotify knows that most smart speakers aren’t Apples and HI-FI systems support Spotify. Also most families have multiple smartphones of different brands …

In other words … Apple only families and users (HomePod houses ….) is quite a niche for a company that lives on one service.

Don’t think Spotify is interested in helping Apple push their devices anymore considering ….

Now the ones that question “I still don’t know why …” obviously are happy living in a dystopia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 410 and Matti_

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
playlists are also much better curated IN MY OPINION

Most importantly: that white on pink UI. NOPE
These two points are a huge reason for me too. And recommendations.

And i am gonna throw iTunes to the mix...Until Apple releases a proper AM app for Windows i will stay with Spotify. I will not download, install or use that horrible excuse for an app ?

raybo

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Saint Petersburg, FL
Airplay 1 is good enough - unless you need to stream all over. My Yamaha receiver (Airplay 1) has 2 zones, volume controlled by Yamaha app, so no issue here.

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
Spotify knows that most smart speakers aren’t Apples and HI-FI systems support Spotify. Also most families have multiple smartphones of different brands …

In other words … Apple only families and users (HomePod houses ….) is quite a niche for a company that lives on one service.

Don’t think Spotify is interested in helping Apple push their devices anymore considering ….

Now to the question “I still don’t know why …” obviously are happy living in a dystopia.
This is true, we are entirely Apple everything, MacBooks, iPad, iPhones, Apple TV, thermostat, lights, Airplay speakers, homepods etc BUT I am well aware that Apples presence for whole home and smart speakers is extremely tiny so it’s not surprising they don’t care much about Apple specific features.

I do however find their reasoning of being too difficult as extremely lazy and sad for a company that’s use is completely dependent on playing to different devices.

I use and prefer Apple Music so it doesn’t effect me, but their reasoning is just ridiculous.

Matti_

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2020
1. It’s better
2. It has more songs
3. It has much better recommendations and radios
4. Apple, being Apple, provides mediocre services and support outside the US and some countries in Europe ( mediocre localization, no localize customer service - English only, much smaller library in Apple Music due to incomplete international licenses, etc…)

In my country, Spotify heavily invested in localization, publicly modifying their recommendation algorithm to to adjust local opinion and preferences.
I totally agree. Apple Music is focused on the US Market. Here in Europe, Apple does not provide enough songs. A lot of european artists, european remixes of songs are missing. Also, in Europe we have many different languages, and for me for example, I am missing a lot of german songs.
I had used 5-6 month Apple Music and last year. I used a 3rd party programm to transfer my favorites and playlists from spotify to apple music. But I was glad when I changed back, because there were too many songs missing. I guess, that‘s why spotify is more popular in europe.
Also podcasts and so on are better made at spotify because they are translated in different languages

amanset

macrumors member
May 10, 2005

Because the rest of the world isn't the US.

Where I live, Sweden, things like the Homepod are still not for sale officially. That's any version of the Homepod, ever. Siri is pretty terrible in Swedish as well.

Apple fans in places like the US don't seem to realise that Apple treats most of the rest of the world as second class citizens. Whenever any new service comes out from Apple my automatic reaction is to not expect to see it for at least a year.

Whereas Spotify is here, it works and is supported by pretty much all my devices, something Apple has failed to do as they won't even sell the device to replace my Amazon Echo.

And yes, I could do some kind of grey import, but you kind of get used to such things not working too well as they tend to rely on services that just don't exist yet and/or are geolocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.