Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
If you are buying a 2018 iMac (not the 2017 model being sold as of this posting) then I agree you should pure SSD.

Why should when you buy an iMac determine whether or not to get an SSD?
[doublepost=1527081401][/doublepost]
The 2017 iMac with a 1 TB Fusion Drive comes with a 32 GB SSD, not 24 GB. And there is nothing slow about the 1 TB Fusion Drive – for predictable workflows, it is noticeably faster than a standard 1 TB hard drive. Apple places the operating system and the most popular apps you use on the SSD, so your most commonly used apps launch quickly each time. I have a 1 TB Fusion Drive with a supposedly piss poor 32 GB SSD which for the past nine months remains as fast as day one and I happen to be using 280 GB storage. Unless you're working with large files all day as a photographer or video producer, there is nothing patently slow about the 1 TB Fusion Drive.

People need to stop spreading misinformation about what the Fusion Drive is and what it is not.
I think it's now been repeated here several times, correctly, just what a fusion drive is, and where it stands between a standard hard drive and a pure SSD. Its advantages are that it's a way of saving money, getting more storage and getting the speed of an SSD for certain types of workflows. It's disadvantages are that it does not currently support APFS, it's a more complex arrangement, its spinning hard drive is a more common point of failure, and it is slower than a pure SSD for workflows dealing with very large files or a large assortment of applications. I see people talking about the relative merits of the various storage options, some more accurately than others, but I see no one intentionally "spreading misinformation." The fusion drive is not a victim...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
At this point, it's unknown if Apple will even include a fusion drive option in the 2018 iMacs...

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
At this point, it's unknown if Apple will even include a fusion drive option in the 2018 iMacs...

True enough, although Apple seems to be attached to those fusion drives. Remember that the entry level 21.5" iMac STILL sports a regular HD. If they're still obsessed with fusion drives and want to make them more attractive as a real option for people with high storage needs they might pair them with larger SSD portions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.