Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Docsteel

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
I don't understand the people that say the Apple Watch is more business appropriate then the Sport. When I look at the dumbwatch my coworkers have there is a pretty good split between SS and black. Personally I believe the black looks better, it's more subdued and not as flashy. That's what I like about the sport, less flash not drawing attention to my wrist as opposed to the conversation or work that is occurring.

If they offered the Sport with Saphire, it would be a question for me. A silver sport would be tons better then the flashy stainless steel. But I guess to each his own.

Very well put. It always comes down to personal preference in the end, once you remove questions with hard answers out of the way. I think if you plan to hold onto the watch awhile (personally I don't believe Apple is going to refresh the Apple Watch on a yearly cycle, I suspect it will be on a two year cycle) the SS is ultimately the better choice as it will likely look better over time. That being said, depending on your line of work and lifestyle the SS might not be regarded well, and conversely the aluminum would look out of place. I occasionally have to be in the room with C-level executives, and the aluminum would just look too casual. I will say that people are generally more tolerant of watches being "nicer" out of context than the reverse; a rolex on someone playing sports stands out but is respected; someone wearing a Casio digital watch during a high level presentation looks conspicuous and right or wrong, lowers their credibility. I might be very wrong, but I have a gut feeling that that the SS will have a better resell than the aluminum (yes, I know this goes contrary to baseline being better resell but we are talking watches here not phones).

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I will say that people are generally more tolerant of watches being "nicer" out of context than the reverse; a rolex on someone playing sports stands out but is respected; someone wearing a Casio digital watch during a high level presentation looks conspicuous and right or wrong, lowers their credibility. I might be very wrong, but I have a gut feeling that that the SS will have a better resell than the aluminum (yes, I know this goes contrary to baseline being better resell but we are talking watches here not phones).

While I would agree a room of execs and one wearing a Timex Expedition would be pretty lame, we are still talking about a $350 min watch. At some point, an I personally believe that point is around $300 a watch is is viewed as very much luxury item. The difference in opinion between a $300 watch and a $5000 watch is going to be very little. Althought, you might have people as you about the Apple Watch instead of noting the Rolex and moving on.

As far as resell, I would agree, the sport resell value will probably drop pretty quickly and the SS will probably maintain its value better.

rjdoc74

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
Thank you for reply and your valued opinion. The type of environment I work in requires me to wear business attire every day of the week, so I'm concerned that I may look pretty stupid wearing a suit and the sport watch.

OP, I will save you some time sifting through this thread. I am in the same boat as you. Got 42 mm SG, wore it for 3 days and sold it on CL. Do yourself a favor and get SS watch. You will regret Sport.

landune

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
I have spent hours upon hours, weighing the differences and I have still yet come to a concrete decision in regards to whether I want the Sport model or the Watch model.

I ordered the Sport first and found that I LOVED the watch. The software, the appearance, and the capabilities. However, in the back of my mind, I knew that it looked less like a timepiece and more like a gadget. Working in a formal environment this was a slight concern (I want to wear it daily). I spotted the 38MM SS with the Milanese Loop and I was in love.

Now, the sport came out to be $565 Canadian (with taxes and AppleCare) and the SS with ML is an absurd $1030 (with taxes and AppleCare). There are two ways to look at this:

1. It's only $460 more for the model I really want but;
  2. I am concerned V2 will knock this watch out of the water and affect its apperance as a fashion item (usually spending $1K on a watch means it'll last a lifetime and won't go "out of style").

And I honestly keep swaying back and forth between the two watches. $565 is a LOT to spend on an aluminum/non sapphire watch and $1030 is a lot to spend on something that may only have a lifetime of 3 years. I know it's ultimately up to me to figure this out but I was hoping I would be able to gather some opinions from you all.

Thoughts?

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Lifetime of three years? There will be a new watch out in ~12-18 months from the release of V1, tops. Next June's WWDC at the latest... And most people don't even have their watches yet!

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The Apple Watch cannot be seen as a timepiece. It's a gadget. A very nice one, but still a gadget. It will be obsolete in 3-4 years when new versions and software comes.
I think that only the Apple Watch Sport makes sense to buy. All other models might be nice, but I would recommend them only if money is not an issue at all. I also wanted to get the Milanese but I don't believe that the Watch is worth 799€ (here in Germany).

landune

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
A new iteration doesn't mean the old is suddenly useless.

----------

The Apple Watch cannot be seen as a timepiece. It's a gadget. A very nice one, but still a gadget. It will be obsolete in 3-4 years when new versions and software comes.
I think that only the Apple Watch Sport makes sense to buy. All other models might be nice, but I would recommend them only if money is not an issue at all. I also wanted to get the Milanese but I don't believe that the Watch is worth 799€ (here in Germany).

Very true. And that's my biggest concern - it being obsolete eventually.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
AW is not a timepiece, but it still has to live on my wrist. I care how I look in a professional setting (it's part of my job), so regardless of whether or not it's timeless, it needs to look good. This is why I spent the extra on a SS model.

Reactions: Bogdanpd

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
AW is not a timepiece, but it still has to live on my wrist. I care how I look in a professional setting (it's part of my job), so regardless of whether or not it's timeless, it needs to look good. This is why I spent the extra on a SS model.

This. Even if I replace it after a year, I still want it to look good during that year.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i don't think the sport looks anymore like a gadget than the SS version does. personally, i like the look of the sport better because i prefer a matte finish.

i also know that when watch 2.0 comes out... i'll want that... so i made the decision to get the sport.

your "only" $460 more is more than i paid for my whole watch!

i've been wearing my watch for almost two weeks now and i just love the look! i have a dress on today and it looks lovely with it (IMO)

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California

Both of these are very good points. It really is just up to you and how you spend your money. Some people want to spend more for the sake of looks (even if short term) and some people dont feel they need to spend extra for a short term item.

Repelle

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
Andover UK / SF CA
Personally, if money isn't a huge issue, go with the SS model. It is worth the extra money in my eyes.

It really doesn't feel like a smartwatch compared to the Sport and you'll have far more satisfaction wearing it in more formal occasions.

I wouldn't be so concerned about it being obsolete. Buy it and enjoy it for now. If and when a replacement comes out, you know you'll be able to resell for a good portion of its original value.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA
I have spent hours upon hours, weighing the differences and I have still yet come to a concrete decision in regards to whether I want the Sport model or the Watch model.

I ordered the Sport first and found that I LOVED the watch. The software, the appearance, and the capabilities. However, in the back of my mind, I knew that it looked less like a timepiece and more like a gadget. Working in a formal environment this was a slight concern (I want to wear it daily). I spotted the 38MM SS with the Milanese Loop and I was in love.

Now, the sport came out to be $565 Canadian (with taxes and AppleCare) and the SS with ML is an absurd $1030 (with taxes and AppleCare). There are two ways to look at this:

2. I am concerned V2 will knock this watch out of the water and affect its apperance as a fashion item (usually spending $1K on a watch means it'll last a lifetime and won't go "out of style").

And I honestly keep swaying back and forth between the two watches. $565 is a LOT to spend on an aluminum/non sapphire watch and $1030 is a lot to spend on something that may only have a lifetime of 3 years. I know it's ultimately up to me to figure this out but I was hoping I would be able to gather some opinions from you all.

Thoughts?

Very simple answer; if you can afford it, get the one you want.

I did! Very happy with my SS. Was it a lot of money, yes. Could I afford it, yes!

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
if you're buying it for your own enjoyment, i dont see why youd get anything but the sport. the SS has no additional benefits, in my eyes its not even tangibly better looking, unless you bought the link bracelet.

if you buy it for looks (ie. how you look to other people)...I argue dont buy the apple watch at all. compared to other 'real' watches', it's ugly. it really is. it's got a cool look, because its new and high tech, but it is not at all a classy watch. it looks like a computer on your wrist.
get a Tag Heuer or something.

I bought both and kept the space grey sport. I still have the SS with sport band for sale on Craigslist

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
For me it was simple, I wanted a watch I could wear literally everywhere no matter the occasion. SS was the answer.

Reactions: Javabird

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I was waffling between sport and stainless steel at first. However, there were two main factors that solidified my decision to go with sport:

1. It's a first generation product, and has a finite shelf life - I wanted to spend the least amount possible while still getting maximum enjoyment from a device that I know will be obsolete 3-5 years from now.
2. As pretty as the stainless steel model is, I didn't want to pony up the extra money, especially since my lifestyle is active and more geared towards the sport model anyway.

You have to look at how you're going to use the device in your everyday life and choose the model that best represents your individual needs.

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I have gotten a ridiculous amount of compliments on the 38mm SS ML. Everyone loves the band and the style of it so I would argue that it is definitely not a bad watch for a business environment. If you were a lawyer, judge, doctor, or someone of that sort that works in an environment that you are expected to really pay attention I would definitely not get an Apple Watch at all. Seems like a smart watch kind of says "I am probably going to check my notifications instead of pay attention to why you're here."

In a typical office or business setting I personally feel that the stainless versions look a little classier. Granted I wouldn't wear a brightly colored aluminum watch in a professional environment at all unless it is really casual.

supermanfan

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
I have the 42mm Space Gray Sport.

My wife ordered the 38mm SS WSB.

When I hold the two in my hands, man there is no comparison. The SS looks/feels so much nicer.

The 42mm I have now, by comparison, looks like a giant black slab of tech.

In conclusion, my 38mm SS BSB is preparing for shipment now. The Sport lost for me.

BradDylan

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Lifetime of three years? There will be a new watch out in ~12-18 months from the release of V1, tops. Next June's WWDC at the latest... And most people don't even have their watches yet!

The watch won't stop working just because vers. 2 comes out. So 3 years is a fair maybe even a bit conservative estimate for how long the watch will be supported by Apple and app developers.

B

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
If you consider a woman will spend $800 for a pair of shoes that will only be in style for one season and never wear them again, then that's all anyone needs to know to understand the choice that has to be made here.

People who are on the fence about spending money on something they wear potentially everyday, probably don't need to be worried about it.

silvermx5

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2013

Thoughts?

Supposedly by the end of the year new cases finishes will appear.... just add more termoil to the decision.. :)

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
The watch won't stop working just because vers. 2 comes out. So 3 years is a fair maybe even a bit conservative estimate for how long the watch will be supported by Apple and app developers.

B

Frankly, I don't see any reason at all that the Watch needs to become obsolete in the same way the iPhones and iPads do, unless the watch becomes something more than an accessory for the iPhone that it currently is. Processor bumps and added features like a camera, or GPS won't negate the core functionality. As long as the watch needs the iPhone, and as long as the wireless radio protocols it's using remain the same (and why would they change?), then I don't see the watch being obsoleted before the battery life dies, or the watch dies from component failure. I'd say it will be fully supported for at least 5 years, and probably well after that. In fact, once Apple allows multiple watches to be paired with the same iPhone, I suspect it will be one of many Watches a person will own in different styles for different functions, the way mechanical watch owners tend to wear them now.

----------

Supposedly by the end of the year new cases finishes will appear.... just add more termoil to the decision.. :)

One of which will be gold. Probably both anodized gold Sport, and some kind of gold-clad $1-2K model. In which case many people will buy two watches so they can accessorize their watches with their gold or silver jewelry, the way they do with the mechanical watches now.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
You can always do what I did - buy the aluminum sport and get the Milanese Loop separately. It saves you about $230 and you get 100% of the same functionality and ~80% of the look.

Then when the next gen comes out, you can buy the cheapest SS and pair it with your existing Milanese Loop. That model should last much longer, the way 2nd-gen Apple products usually do (look at original iPad vs iPad 2).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.