Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phatbass30

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
i'm sorry if this has been ask before.

is there a a chance that Apple will see if you removed the original back plating and replaced it with the metal one? i just don't want to void my warranty.

thanks!

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
i'm sorry if this has been ask before.

is there a a chance that Apple will see if you removed the original back plating and replaced it with the metal one? i just don't want to void my warranty.

thanks!

Unless you strip the screws, or grind the metal around the screws then they'll never know.

jhkaplan

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008

I ordered this one; just installed it today. I have a bit of silouette in the corners for photos taken w/o a flash. For photos w/ flash, there is a bright white strip down the middle caused by the flash/case. I think it's missing the difuser. The back is great; looks great, feels great. But since i can't use a flash w/ this, I'm not sure if i'm gonna be able to keep it.

Anyone have one that for sure has no flash issues?

nc26

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
the problem with this back is where the plate holds the screws at the bottom. it's made out of plastic, the screw holders cracked after i stood on the charger cable and the phone smacks the floor, resulting a loss of one screw. if i could do something about the screw holders then its a fine bit of upgrade

phatbass30

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
the problem with this back is where the plate holds the screws at the bottom. it's made out of plastic, the screw holders cracked after i stood on the charger cable and the phone smacks the floor, resulting a loss of one screw. if i could do something about the screw holders then its a fine bit of upgrade

what they sell now at ebay have a metal screw holder.

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
I ordered this one; just installed it today. I have a bit of silouette in the corners for photos taken w/o a flash. For photos w/ flash, there is a bright white strip down the middle caused by the flash/case. I think it's missing the difuser. The back is great; looks great, feels great. But since i can't use a flash w/ this, I'm not sure if i'm gonna be able to keep it.

Anyone have one that for sure has no flash issues?

i ordered from the same bay seller and received it yesterday and have had no problems with my flash or camera what so ever...

meringues

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Just received mine today. I bought the flat back ones. So far, I don't really have issue with the reception but cannot take pictures with the flash on. The picture totally washed out. I also bought the black one but it didn't comes yet .I'll let you guys know about the flash issues once I receive it.The last picture is of the flash in action:(.

What kind of bumper are you using?

kaikai830

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2010
I want to pair a metal back with a metal bumper, any advice on a good cheap one? Is the Jett the best I can do without paying like $70?

Yea the Jett is pretty nice but you can also get some knockoff Vapors on ebay. They have some nice machined ones for 30-40 bucks.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I want to pair a metal back with a metal bumper, any advice on a good cheap one? Is the Jett the best I can do without paying like $70?

You mean like this?

5267325641_de1a3b6c75_b.jpg

5267325363_3f1f7f5a19_b.jpg

5267325077_b52870d3e2_b.jpg

5267324807_33918bd224_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

meringues

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Yea the Jett is pretty nice but you can also get some knockoff Vapors on ebay. They have some nice machined ones for 30-40 bucks.

Hmm k

Think I'm going to try to pair this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360328467360#ht_772wt_907

with a flat silver back.

You mean like this?

Kind of. I think the jett is too dark, I think the vapor looks cooler (but obv don't wanna pay for it...) and I want a flat back. So I think knockoff vapor is the way to go.

meringues

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
what they sell now at ebay have a metal screw holder.

I'm not sure if you were talking about the seller in CA but I just confirmed the screw holders aren't metal. And they won't bargain at all.

I'm sneaking around ebay looking for a US seller with metal screw holders, will let you guys know if I find anything. then again, I don't think it's a very big deal.

Last edited:

meringues

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
I'm not sure if you were talking about the seller in CA but I just confirmed the screw holders aren't metal. And they won't bargain at all.

I'm sneaking around ebay looking for a US seller with metal screw holders, will let you guys know if I find anything. then again, I don't think it's a very big deal.

Just bought one from a seller in NY who claims his is, I'll let you guys know.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Here's another site to buy a metal back from if you don't want to go with the ebay route.

http://www.razoredgecases.com/index...-back-covers-1/beveled-metal-back-cover.html#

I haven't bought it yet, but I'll either shoot them an email or call on Monday to find out if they have metal screw holders. I don't see why anyone would think these beveled metal backs are ugly, imo the silver back looks like it completes the iphone.

Metal backs are fine but the beveled ones looks bad to me. They make the phone feel chunky in the hand. I have 2 backs, a flat black metal one and a beveled silver color and the flat black looks like it belongs on the phone.

A flat silver one would look fine too but the beveled one makes it look like a 3g/3gs. While that isn't a bad thing overall, it ruins the amazing lines and clean look of the iPhone 4.

phatbass30

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010

meringues

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
I found a US seller who claimed metal screw holders. It was $16. I'll let you guys know what happens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...64309&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1520wt_1141

I can confirm that this back has metal screw holders. The quality seems ok. I think the backing is some kind of metallic substance. The printing could be better. Overall I'm satisfied but it appears that it could be peeling a bit in one corner. I may have to ask for another one to be sent. My Motif is back on the phone now, the real test will be when I get my aluminum bumper and the back stays bare.

.batman

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
The biggest problem is the flash, the light leaks really badly into the camera lens, washing out the entire picture. I kinda like the look otherwise, but the functionality is important to me as I've been taking lots of pictures in dark places like the attic and crawlspace lately.

Totally not creepy at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.