Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The standard 41mm and 45mm models of the Apple Watch Series 8 will feature the same design as the Apple Watch Series 7, according to Twitter user @ShrimpApplePro, who was first to reveal that iPhone 14 Pro models would feature a new pill-and-hole display.

Apple-Watch-Series-7-Starlight-Midnight.jpg

Titanium will not be an option for the standard Apple Watch Series 8 models either, according to @ShrimpApplePro, but Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that a new higher-end "extreme sports" version of the Apple Watch Series 8 will have a titanium case, so there would still be a titanium option within the overall Series 8 lineup. The "extreme" model is also expected to have a slightly larger display compared to standard Series 8 models.

@ShrimpApplePro said their source is not aware of any new sensors on the standard Apple Watch Series 8, which will supposedly enter mass production this month.

The leaker said color options for the standard Apple Watch Series 8 will include Midnight, Starlight, Silver, and (PRODUCT)RED for aluminum models and Silver and Graphite for stainless steel models. This would be fewer colors than offered for Series 7 models, which also came in finishes like Blue, Green, Space Black, and Gold.

Apple Watch Series 8 models are expected to be announced in September alongside the iPhone 14 series. watchOS 9 should be released in September as well.

Article Link: Standard Apple Watch Series 8 Rumored to Feature Same Design as Series 7

Last edited:
The design of the S7 is nice, I don’t have any issue with apple keeping it like that. But I am disappointed about the rumored colors and materials, as I am a big fan of the gold SS and space gray titanium. And no proper gold aluminium Watch. Bummer
It looks like titanium is being offered but in a different version. I hope the Titanium Watch comes in different colors.

Titanium Watch in midnight color would be nice.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
What’s the point of making yearly updates to these devices when you can barely squeeze out any new feature? Do people really upgrade their watches every year?

Car manufacturers release cars every year and sometimes with minor updates. Do you need to buy a car every year because of this? The answer is no. Slightly upgraded products are released every year for sale but that doesn’t mean you have to buy one every year 🤦‍♂️

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Car manufacturers release cars every year and sometimes with minor updates. Do you need to buy a car every year because of this? The answer is no. Slightly upgraded products are released every year for sale but that doesn’t mean you have to buy one every year 🤦‍♂️
Some people lease cars to get the annual updates, depends on your situation. I have a coworker who does it so his dog has space in the car, he wouldn't otherwise since he could do a smaller car. I've mentioned it in other threads, but it'd be interesting to see an Apple Watch upgrade program that would give you an annual or biennial upgrade for a competitive price.

I agree with you however, no need to buy every release, it's not usually great to update on an annual basis. I have been since 11PM but I don't plan to for the upcoming 14. Some people just gotta have the latest, whether tech enthusiasm, collecting, or FOMO.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Of course not, and they all push and try and tell you why you should though. Apple is better at this then anyone and every model they do their best to make it sound bigger and better than what it actually is. I don't get commercials on TV anymore (thanks streaming!), but I don't remember a lot of hype or big changes in commercials for a new F150 or Civic, they sell more on the lifestyle aspect of things and as far as I know don't have a big event every year touting all the huge improvements in those minor release update vehicles... I could be wrong on that. Apple on the other hand makes a big deal out of every update they bring out and push how this will make your life even better with the latest. Individual choice is always there, but marketing is a powerful thing and people do get sucked into it.

Reactions: subi257 and 123

tucupeis

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
im tired of the square design. aw7 looks very similar to aw1. I just brought garmin epix 2 because of this and go out running with aw7 as well for the cellular feature in case of emergency. When apple releases a NEW design (round perhaps) i might consider getting it.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
I think some of these leakers just throw crap against the wall and some of it has to be correct. So we got the watch is going to be different and the watch is going to be the same. I bet one is right 😂😂😂😂
Could be both correct: This rumor is about the base model, which stays the same. And then there will be a new “rugged” (whatever it’s named) model with bigger screen, which seems to have a (perhaps only slightly, though) different design.

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
What’s the point of making yearly updates to these devices when you can barely squeeze out any new feature? Do people really upgrade their watches every year?
The point is that when you do decide to upgrade you have the latest tech. You don't run into the situation where you need to wait until the next upgrade because the last was so long ago and is now outdated.

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
All I need is the Blood Glucose monitoring and a sapphire screen on the Nike watch and I’m good. My series 7 screen has a decent sized scratch and it’s only been a few months. My series 2 didn’t scratch this easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.