Star Wars Blu-Ray - will you buy it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Sep 7, 2011.

?

Will you buy Star Wars blu-ray edition?

1. I'll still buy the blu-ray edition

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. I'll not buy it, at some point he has stop touching a masterpiece

33 vote(s)
    50.8%
  3. I'm no fan and so I'll not be buying it regardless

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since Star Wars is due out shortly and its now evident the Lucas couldn't help but monkey with the series yet again. Will you still buy it.?

If you look at the reviews over at Amazon they're pretty much universal in their negative reaction to Lucas' latest changes.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Is there a version that doesn't have the prequel visage of the emperor in Empire in the Executor's holodeck?

3. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

You're missing an option :

- The prequel trilogy ruined it for me.

I was a big fan of the first 3 films (especially Empire, my favorite). Then the prequals ruined it. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not some kind of bandwagoner. I actually found Phantom Menace decent (whaa... ? ). Attack of the clones was a good action flick, but somehow left me wanting. The real let down came with the 3rd movie. It somehow felt rushed and Anakin's downfall missed quite a few steps. One second he's goody two-shoes and the next he's on the dark side. Really deserved a better fall into darkness than a 3 minute scene, what happened to progression ? I know he had a few "dark" moments prior, but really, it just felt so rushed...

Then there's all the continuity errors like Padme dying giving birth but Leia remembering her mother has being sad all the time... Why would her adoptive mother on Alderaan be "sad" all the time if she doesn't have Anakin to grieve for (not being Anakin's lover...) ?

Really, that 3rd movie marked the end of an era for me. Even the originals weren't as enjoyable after that (let's face it, those movies are mostly about nostalgia, they never were as deep as we saw them with our fan tainted glasses).

5. Ounce macrumors member

The DVD of the original trilogy has an untouched version of the films on disc 2. It's a special feature. I hope that the blu-ray version will as well.

Of course, for me, part of the magic of the original series is that it was produced with 70’s techniques and has that feel. The embarrassment is how awful the re-edits and added effects look by comparison. Go watch the Jabba's Palace scene in the 'improved' version.

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Buy it? Hell no

Obtain it through other means? Probably

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'd actually love to watch the original trilogy without the effects. I've only ever seen the remastered version.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't have a Blu-Ray player so I won't buy it.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Maybe Lucas can do a special edition of Episode 1 without Jar jar Binks. That would be an improvement.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

On the fence. To much tinkering and I agree with knight.......the prequels killed it for me too.

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Hell -----> No

I think George has way too much time on his hands which is why he keeps tinkering with crap. Seriously....blinking ewoks/Yoda? WTF :confused:

I originally wanted to get a bluray player specifically for this set and the Lord of the Rings set. With the Star Wars set out of the question, looks like I'll never get a bluray player.

12. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If he want's to toying with star wars why not create the last three in the series like he originally intended. Instead he keeps mucking with it and like a painter who keeps painting a finished masterpiece. Its turns out rather poorly.

Personally, I will buy it, while there are continuity issues with the first three vs. the original episodes. I enjoyed all of them and I can put up with some of the changes.

13. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Comcast On-Demand hooked up to surround-sound is the way to go, not Blu-ray. And I hate Star Wars.

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

[​IMG]

Unless there's an option to play the original original hidden somewhere in it. Han shot first.:p

15. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

We don't have a bluray player, so that makes it an automatic no :p

Otherwise, I might have considered it, although like most of you, I agree that it's stupid that he can't just let it be. It's not like the changes really have been anywhere near improvements...

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

What's "Blu-ray"? :eek:

(*hugs original LaserDisc versions*)

:D

17. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

I saw Empire and Return at the cinema. I wish I recorded it.

18. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

:D

Agreed. I have and love the originals. Though I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, I'm still a purist.

I even prefer the original workprint edition of Blade Runner over the others. ;)

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Despite the negative poll results, I'm confident that it will fly off the shelves. Lucas knows this as well.

20. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Film purists are, after all, a rare breed.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Also, film purists do not support the movie industry. The great unwashed consumers of the worst Hollywood trash have that honor. And they get what they want.

22. Keebler macrumors 68030

i'm not buying it. i have enough copies, but my understanding is that he didn't tweak these version - just adding lots of extra features?

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The best film was "Empire Strikes Back" and it also was the one George Lucas has the least amount of influcense over.
    George Lucas is a crappy writer and an even crappier director. He has great ideas but he screwed up the films way to much. I honestly would love to see the last 3 made.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have the original untouched trilogy on DVD and I have a policy of not rebuying movies that I already have a licence for. So no, I will not be buying it on Blu-ray.

25. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

If I want it that bad, I'll rip my DVD's to use on my idevices, I'm not gonna get in a tizzy cause I can't see every pore on Harrison Ford's nose.