Star Wars Themed iPods

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to Star Wars fan-site RebelScum, Skittles will be giving away 100 Star Wars Themed iPods as part of a Star Wars promotion starting on April 2, 2005.

Apple has had a few official cross promotion iPod specials in the past with celebrity signed iPods and the still offered Black U2 iPod.

No details on the case-design of the Star Wars Themed iPods or if Apple is producing these custom iPods. Rebel Scum also posted a scan of a game piece.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
eh.. seems a little corny.. as much as a fan i am of star wars, i don't think this is really apples type of thing, unless all they did was make a few of those special hp print out inserts with starwars stuff and have a custom engraving.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Sounds good to me, only problem is... why are they still stocking the U2 ipod? Me thinks they made too many, and didn't sell enough. But hell yeah, I mean, if we are going to really get personal with out ipod why not have it made after some more personalized stuff. Batman, superman, Star Wars, Star Trek, LoTR, these are a few of my favorite things. Just joshing you, but I wouldn't mike a Star Trek inspired ipod, green women dig ipods already.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I don't believe it...

Personally the "iTunes" part doesn't fit... maybe if it said something like "Free iTunes Song" or something... well I'll believe it if I see it...

But till more info surfaces I say "BOGUS"

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
yay!

I would love one, If I had the money I'd buy one but, it's probably only a promotional thing :(. I gotta buy some Skittles now, I know Star Wars also had a deal with M&Ms giving away some dolls.

May the force be with you Apple! :D

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Glad to see that I wasn't the only one to notice the "iTunes" prize. That one didn't make much sense to me. My guess is that this must be either a fake, or a pre-print demo where all of the type isn't finalized yet. If it is the latter, I'd bet the "iTunes" prize is going to be one or more free songs.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Maybe...

Prediction: They will come in black and white. And will have George Lucas's signature along with other celebrity signatures perhaps.

oooo, how about a reversed display (white on black background) for the black ones!

Parody Predictions:

The Black ones will only work on Windows PC's, the Whites: only on Macs.

They will come with bluetooth and the ability to auto-discover each other. They will vibrate in the presence of opposite colored iPods so you know there's a distrubance in the Force nearby.

They will be video capable with color screens, and will come with abreviated versions of the original trilogy.

You will be able to pick up the Star Wars iPods from the floor easily if you drop them, without bending over.

A special Planet of Endor version will have a brown furry iPod sock included.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
SeaFox said:
Prediction: They will come in black and white. And will have George Lucas's signature along with other celebrity signatures perhaps.

oooo, how about a reversed display (white on black background) for the black ones!

Parody Predictions:

The Black ones will only work on Windows PC's, the Whites: only on Macs.

They will come with bluetooth and the ability to auto-discover each other. They will vibrate in the presence of opposite colored iPods so you know there's a distrubance in the Force nearby.

They will be video capable with color screens, and will come with abreviated versions of the original trilogy.

You will be able to pick up the Star Wars iPods from the floor easily if you drop them, without bending over.

A special Planet of Endor version will have a brown furry iPod sock included.
Also if there is a disbeliever, just wave the iPod and they will agree with whatever you say.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Once rev2 iMac and Tiger are announced, this site is definitely leaving my favourites.

Yeah, I know, MacRumours is only the messenger. But I just ain't interested.

AND I used to respect Apple's ethos.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
AliensAreFuzzy said:
Also if there is a disbeliever, just wave the iPod and they will agree with whatever you say.
LOL. Yeah I can see it already:

iRiver HP120 owner: "Dude, the iPod sucks. It can't record and has no WMA support!"

<you wave StarWars iPod>
"These aren't the features you're looking for..."

oh god, oh no, oh no. Please, no apple. You know that cool image you have? That is nearly universal? That lets your computers be cool beyond the population of decidedly uncool computer geeks? Yeah, the kind of cool that doesn't make people go... ugh, the only people who think computers and gadgets are cool is people who are still obsessed with star wars.

Dont' do it.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
oh dear. i really hope this is untrue otherwise apple will be really selling out and any 'coolness' they have will be right out the window! you had might as well let rio become the market leader then!

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
another idea here: what if it wasn't sold by apple? what if apple made them for real big $$, but it was only sold through the starwars community. then it would only be the starwars fans who would know.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
if it sells more iPods overall. Maybe this is in an effort to reach out to nerds and comic book store geeks. Maybe. ;)

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Macrumors said:
According to Star Wars fan-site RebelScum, Skittles will be giving away 100 Star Wars Themed iPods as part of a Star Wars promotion starting on April 2, 2005.

Apple has had a few official cross promotion iPod specials in the past with celebrity signed iPods and the still offered Black U2 iPod.

No details on the case-design of the Star Wars Themed iPods or if Apple is producing these custom iPods. Rebel Scum also posted a scan of a game piece.
I have a idea for a iPod SE-Invader Zim iPod SE-well it has a cult follwing, and is my fav. TV show, the DVD's and action figures are proving popular (and the creator Jhonen Vasquez also does comics) and there is a iPod mini in green-so the iPod SE could use that color, and it'd be easier to do (as Star trek , batman, etc would involve more costly licenesing fees)