Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. The SSD still fused with the 2TB Fusion Drive in the Late 2015 5K iMac seems to have failed and can no longer be detected by Disk Utility (w/ View All Devices) and Terminal (Diskutil List). What are the proper steps to take to replace the Apple Blade SSD part of this Fusion Drive? I understand just replacing the SSD won't make the Mac see it as a Fusion Drive as the hardisk is still tied or fused with the old Apple Blade SSD?

Thank you in advance. All data have been backed up a week before the Fusion's SSD failed (or appears to have failed).

God bless, Revelation 21:4

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Have a read of this and shoot over to ifixit.com for the actual replacement.

Thanks. I'm familiar with iFixit thanks but mine is a different case. With iFixit, you replace both the Apple Blade SSD (it's version of the NVME) and the mechanical hardisk with the usual SSD but mine would just be replacing the Apple Blade SSD, retaining the hardisk which was still tied in software with the SSD. I know that if you just replace it, it won't see the new SSD:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...+from+Fusion+Drive+after+upgrading+HDD+to+SSD

Thank you, in advance.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. If indeed the SSD part of the Fusion Drive's dead even though it was still tied to the hardisk, I'd like to replace it. But the fear is if it's still tied to the hardisk, Fusion still can't happen coz' the hardisk will look for the old SSD.

There no more data that I hadn't backed up. It's alright to erase both, even if it has split but Disk Utility nor Terminal can't detect the Apple SSD.

But when I reinstalled macOS Big Sur then reinstalled Boot Camp, 4 windows app can see another disk, called Disk 1 but the app that destroyed the Fusion, EaseUS only sees the hardisk which is Disk 0. Could Disk 0 be the Apple SSD and it's really still alive but can only detected by Windows apps? Should I initialize it (I wonder if that'll destroy my macOS which I just that Time Machine just transferred all the files to- that's hours, 2 days almost troubleshooting, ways to detect Apple SSD on macOS after the fresh install a
Disk 1 Possible Apple Blade SSD.PNG
nd 9 days trying to get restore Fusion Drive).

Thank you. God bless, Rev. 21:4

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Open the Imac.
Take out both SSD blade and HDD.
Install the new SSD.

Connect the HDD (via USB box) to another machine, and reformat it

Put it back to the iMac.

Now you have a working iMac, with no OS.

Do a Internet Recovery. Might need to format the SSD, or reconstruct the Fusion from the. Or simply keep it separated if your new SSD is big enough.

During the process, connect your Time Machine and restore from it.

Reactions: jasonacole

LewyLewister

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2022
Hi. The SSD still fused with the 2TB Fusion Drive in the Late 2015 5K iMac seems to have failed and can no longer be detected by Disk Utility (w/ View All Devices) and Terminal (Diskutil List). What are the proper steps to take to replace the Apple Blade SSD part of this Fusion Drive? I understand just replacing the SSD won't make the Mac see it as a Fusion Drive as the hardisk is still tied or fused with the old Apple Blade SSD?

Thank you in advance. All data have been backed up a week before the Fusion's SSD failed (or appears to have failed).

God bless, Revelation 21:4

There's also a couple of YouTube videos (one from OWC I think) which show the replacement (I'm just about to do the same replacement of a failed blade SSD in my late 2015 model)

Reactions: Alvin777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.