MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One of the major new features deployed in iOS 4.2 last week was AirPlay, Apple's solution for streaming video, audio, and photos from portable iOS devices to the new Apple TV for display on users' televisions. Unfortunately, the feature's debut came with a few more limitations than users had originally hoped for, with streaming from third-party applications and even Safari limited to audio-only.

While some hackers have been able to discover how Apple has coded the restrictions on video streaming and ways to work around it in a proof-of-concept implementation, mainstream users would obviously prefer Apple to offer full-fledged support for the feature on third-party apps through a public API developers could use for their apps.

124711-jobs_airplay_email_500.jpg

One MacRumors reader emailed Apple CEO Steve Jobs about the future of video streaming via AirPlay and reportedly received a response noting that Apple hopes to bring additional functionality to AirPlay sometime next year.
Q: Hi, I recently updated both my iPhone 4 and iPad to 4.2. I think my favourite feature is airplay. This is seriously amazing and makes sharing content seamless. I just purchased Apple TV and was wondering are you ever going to make airplay video work for videos in safari and 3rd party apps? I hope to get a response. :)

A: Yep, hope to add these features to Airplay in 2011.
The AirPlay functionality appears to have a few other quirks as well, as noted by Daring Fireball's John Gruber. One such quirk involves the fact that the iPhone 4 is unable to stream via AirPlay video shot directly on the iPhone.
The most obvious shortcoming: You can't use AirPlay to play videos shot on your iPhone. That's an obvious feature, right? Shoot a video on your iPhone, then play it back for family and friends on your big TV via AirPlay. No syncing, no docking, no moving files around. Just hit play. But it doesn't work in iOS 4.2.1 - even though you can use AirPlay to show still photos from the Photos app.
While some had theorized that the issue was related to bandwidth required to stream the high-definition footage shot on the iPhone 4, video footage shot on the device and then synced to iTunes and back to the device will stream via AirPlay. Gruber theorizes that Apple had to roll out incomplete AirPlay functionality in order to meet its goal of releasing iOS 4.2 by the end of November and that we will see increased functionality coming in the future, as Jobs' purported email suggests.

Article Link: Steve Jobs: AirPlay Video Streaming Coming to Safari and Third-Party Apps in 2011

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
The hack to enable video AirPlay in all apps is one line of code. Just putting that out there.

Comment

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Yes!!! This is exactly the kinda news I've been waiting to hear! I really hope this does come to fruition....SOON.

While some had theorized that the issue was related to bandwidth required to stream the high-definition footage shot on the iPhone 4, video footage shot on the device and then synced to iTunes and back to the device will stream via AirPlay.

Wait...this isn't true. I have some videos I shot during my Labor Day weekend trip, which are in a folder inside of my Photos app, alongside the pictures from that trip, and I can AirPlay the images to my Apple TV but when I select any of the videos nothing happens. Is anyone else experiencing this too?

Last edited:
Comment

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
That explains why it didn't work. I thought I was holding it wrong or something.

Enough with the emailing Steve Jobs. Someone should Facetime has face and post the conversation on Youtube about some random question.

Comment

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
I find it funny how Steve only bothers to come off his cloud and reply to emails written in an over-the-top grovelling/brown-nosing/praising style.

I wonder how far I would get if I sent him an email saying "Hey Steve, I just spent a wad of hard-earned cash on an iPad after hearing about Airprint and yet your latest iOS update seems to have make it a crippled and useless 'feature' that is nothing like the hype you stirred up. When are you going to apologise and keep your ****ing promise...dude"?

Comment

ashoka8350

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
I find it funny how Steve only bothers to come off his cloud and reply to emails written in an over-the-top grovelling/brown-nosing/praising style.

I wonder how far I would get if I sent him an email saying "Hey Steve, I just spent a wad of hard-earned cash on an iPad after hearing about Airprint and yet your latest iOS update seems to have make it a crippled and useless 'feature' that is nothing like the hype you stirred up. When are you going to apologise and keep your ****ing promise...dude"?

You will get a similar reply like yours......arrogant and rude

Comment

ajphares

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010

Those emails don't make it to his inbox.

Comment

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California

You probably wouldn't get very far with Steve or any other professional, productive adult with such a childlike, tantrum throwing comment.

BTW - I am also very disappointed at the limited AirPlay functionality

Comment

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The hack to enable video AirPlay in all apps is one line of code. Just putting that out there.

Meh. The AirPlay video API is still private for a reason. They're clearly not done with it. Otherwise, they would have made it public. This isn't a feature they want to hold back from developers.

Comment

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago

you know the workaround to enable airprint is really easy, right?

Comment

m2nal

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
One small tweak downloaded from Cydia enables video from all programs. If there ever was a reason to jailbreak, this is it.

Airvideoneabler does work pretty well but I do notice some video pixelation/buffering issues off apps like Vevo when running airplay vs fairly smooth play on youtube and the apple movie player.

I'm hoping Apple tweaks the code enough to allow 3rd party apps to run airplayer smoother, this might be the reason just making a 1 line tweak is not enough to make this work correctly.

Comment

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

I'm sure he'd reply back with the same arrogant and rude response as the email you sent him. :p

Comment

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
The airplay functionality is implemented in iOS more than OS X currently.

I have an airport express. Using an iphone, I can play video on the device and send the audio to the express. In itunes on a macbook I can stream audio from music but not from a movie to the express.

This is an annoying oversight. I hope it is updates soon.

Comment

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
It would be cool if the Airplay will allow you to forward VLC or Hulu Plus video streams. Maybe even work with AirVideo. Be strange though. Stream from computer to iPad to AppleTV.

:D

Comment

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I'm still experiencing problems with it, when I view pictures on my iPad on my AppleTV it hangs sometimes. Hopefully they will fix these problems soon.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
One small tweak downloaded from Cydia enables video from all programs. If there ever was a reason to jailbreak, this is it.

unless you have an ancient TV, most TV's these days will play media directly from a USB stick. same with playstation and x-box.

what is the point of buying an Apple TV when you can just buy a USB stick?

Comment

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Looking forward to AirPlay for videos shot on the iPhone. I guess they'll bundle this update with iPad 2 release.

Actually I'd be a bit disappointed if this isn't in 4.3, which is rumored to be out "soon."

Comment

live4mark

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
New York City
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I still am experiencing mixed results while trying to use AirPlay from my iPhone 4 to my 2d gen Apple tv. I have iOS 4.2.1 on the iPhone 4 and iOS 4.1 on the 2d gen Apple tv, plus, I am using a 1 TB time capsule for purposes of establishing a WiFi connection.

The AirPlay icon literally will come and go on my iPhone 4 as I try to utilize the application: one minute, I'm able to stream a song or movie from my iPhone 4 to my HDTV via the Apple tv and the next minute, the AirPlay icon is gone and I cannot play the song/movie.

Curiously, AirPlay works very smoothly on my son's iPad (with iOS 4.2.1), yet my other son's 4th gen iPod touch (again with iOS 4.2.1) exhibits the same erratic behavior as my iPhone 4.

Has anyone else experienced similar bugs? Any workarounds?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.